Wouldn't D76 Hosts & Drop-Ins Be Great?

recDNA

Flashaholic
With LED's getting larger and larger it's pretty tough to get anything like the real throw potential out of SST-90's or even SST-50's with D26 or even D36 hosts and dropins. Imagine if there were entire lines of D76 hosts and dropins for max throw? We could have lots of fun putting together some nice combos for spotlights without going gargantuan huge like the the SR90. I'd go HID before buying something as big as that Olight. (Plus it's just out of my price range). Don't get me wrong - the SR90 is great but I'm thinking of a different sort of light.

Obviously runtime would be short in high power in smaller hosts because of heat problems and power supply problems but I'd be thrilled with 10 minutes at a time on max in an SST-90 with a 3 inch head run on 2 or 3 26650's or Li Ion D cells.

Obviously not enough of a market out there. Just dreamin on a slow Saturday night.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
What is the D76 terminology supposed to reflect?

I gather that the D26 means P60-compatible.

And also that the 2 in "D26" probably refers to a 2-cell configuration.

But, pray tell, what does the 6 refer to?

And also, who's to blame for this? LumensFactory?

recDNA

Flashaholic
How about the new 2.75 inch diameter head of the D-mini?
Yes, that's a great size but it isn't a standard size with dozens of available dropins to choose from. Same thing for the maglite turbo head (never heard of it).

By d76 I mean 76 mm.

If d76 were a standard host size you could easily try all sorts of pills without the hassel and expense of modding a maglite or buying a dmini and accessories.

There are lots of choices out there....I just like standard sized hosts and dropins becasuse they're ez.