LED lights and cold temps?

pahl

Enlightened
Do cold temperatures affect LED lights at all?

Will I have any problems this winter using my E2e/KL1 outside for long periods of time?

Thanks,

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
cold is very good for leds. it will increase their efficiency.

the problem is the batteries. batteries will fail at certain temperatures. lithiums are better with cold, but are still susceptible

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cold temperature does have certain effect to the output of the led (colored one) but that is only for the extreme, like nitrogen boiling point, so winter should not be a problem with it.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Only the batteries would be affected noticeably; and since you're already using lithiums, you've got it about as good as it gets. Alkalines would circle the drain more quickly in cold weather, but the LED itself would not be affected.

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second that. LED's are more efficient at lower temperatures, batteries suffer at lower temps though, but lithiums less so.

I'd not reccomend dumping an LED in a vat of liquid N2 though, there's an example in the 1970's (I think) section of the LED Museum of what happens if you do! Would have been interesting to see that though...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Putting an LED in liquid nitrogen is probably not a good idea, unless you want the epoxy case to become cracked or broken.
As I understand, a vintage 1970s red LED lit up like a strontium highway flare when it was put in liquid N2 and then fed much more current than it was designed for.

I would also liked to have been there when this LED was dunked in liquid N2 and then overpowered.

Entropy

Enlightened
Didn't someone accidentally dump an ARC AAA in liquid N2 once? And the light still worked after being in there for a bit?

IIRC someone (ARC?) sent him a few "guinea pig" lights to see exactly how much abuse it could take.