Something between the LD20 and Tk40?

pri0n

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm looking for a light thats brighter than the Ld20's 200 lumens but don't want a huge, expensive light like the tk40. Is there something good in between the two at around 400 lumens that still runs on AA? I know fenix doesn't make a torch like that but does anyone know of another reliable light that fits that description. Oh and has to be under 100 bucks. I just figured that if the ld20 is around 50, the tk40 is 150, there should be something in between, which is what i need.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The closest I can think of is the 2x AA Eagletac P20A2 MK1 or 2, both are around 230 OTF lumens, which converts to roughly 280 lumens at the led. Nothing that I know of at around 400 lumens on AA though I don't think, you'd probly need 4 cells, and for some reason that isn't a very popular design.. :shrug:

Oh, and :welcome:

Last edited:

pri0n

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! After researching more on the eagletac I think thats what I'll probably end up getting, I didn't know there was a brighter light than the ld20 on AA2.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
switch to a high powered 1*18650 light.

more power for longer time than 2*AA,
shorter light w. slightly bigger diameter --> better to grip and pocket

joe1512

Enlightened
You could get an itp A6 Polestar for 72 bucks with free shipping at goinggear (and coupon).

It uses 6xAA so is about half the price and a bit smaller than a TK40, and still has around 600 lumen max output (rated).

It is decently well built and works quite well and is a decent size also. It really isnt a big light at all. It fits nicely in your hand and isn't all that fat.

This is my recommendation.

Otherwise, I would consider a 1x18650 light. Any light that uses an 18650 and a P7, MC-E, or SST-50 emitter will give you a good amount of light. The MG-PLI is an option, as is the MG RX1 if you can find them for sale. Oh look. shiningbeam just got in the new version of the MG PLI for 70 bucks. 800 lumens. :)

Last edited:

red02

Enlightened
400 with AAs is really, really difficult. The closest thing I can think of is a direct drive MCE and a Javelin 3xAA host running L92s. Its easily done with cr123s though.

ITP Polestar is really the only possibility short of the TK40.

Last edited:

entoptics

Enlightened
The iTP A6 Polestar fits your budget nicely, but it's a pretty "simple" light, and it has a VERY ANNOYING strobe, which has to be accessed to get from high to low or medium (unless you do the tailcap twist while it's running). Build quality is so-so (good for the price), but if it wasn't abused, I'm sure it's durable enough to work for years.

The size is approximately the same as a 2D maglite. Good runtime on high (~1.5 hours), and the brightness is a thing to behold in a light that size and price. It's quite floody, but can still light up the better part of a WHOLE football field good enough to read a jersey if you could find players to stand around in the dark for the experiment...

The EagleTac P20A2 MKII (OP reflector) is an excellent light, and I'm very pleased with the one I bought for my dad. It won't be a whole lot brighter than the LD20 though, so don't be fooled into "lumen counting". I'm sure it will be noticeably brighter, but I doubt it's a "wow factor" brighter than the Fenix. It's a fairly throwy 2xAA light, but still has a very nice smooth hotspot and transition to spill.

If you can convince yourself to get some 18650 Li-ion cells and a charger (~$30), then you have a couple really outstanding lights that fit your criteria perfectly. EagleTac T20C2, O-light M20 or M21, Thrunite Catapult, and probably some others that aren't coming to mind offhand.

pri0n

Newly Enlightened
Yea, I saw the polestar and was a little concerned about the quality. I was hoping for a light that could take a little bit of abuse and perhaps be dunked without dying. I'm new to 18650's though and I'm a little hesitant to get them without knowing anything about them. Can someone direct me to a general info thread about them perhaps? I have really no idea what would be good stuff to buy.

Yea, I saw the polestar and was a little concerned about the quality. I was hoping for a light that could take a little bit of abuse and perhaps be dunked without dying. I'm new to 18650's though and I'm a little hesitant to get them without knowing anything about them. Can someone direct me to a general info thread about them perhaps? I have really no idea what would be good stuff to buy.

This page has more than what you need, but it's got the info you are looking for.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/161536

pri0n

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! I'll bog through that tomorrow. And +1 for Silversun Pickups.