Would an EMP wipe out the circuit board in a programmable LED light?

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Well, there's been a lot of talk about EMP's (electro magnetic pulses) lately. Tomorrow (Tuesday, June 15, 10PM) on National Geographic Explorer there is a show entitled "Electronic Armageddon". I have my DVR set to record it. Everything I have seen or read so far portrays an EMP as a very serious threat indeed.

Now my question - would an EMP wipe out a circuit board in a programmable LED flashlight? It won't do much good to think you're well prepared for the worst by having a dozen awesome flashlights, but then an EMP renders them all useless! :sick2:

So - would an EMP wipe out a circuit board in a programmable LED flashlights?

-

Last edited:

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
Re: Would an EMP wipe out our programmable LED lights?

Well, there's been a lot of talk about EMP's (electro magnetic pulses) lately.
-

and here as well. for the love of god, use the search function for at LEAST a dozen other threads beating this dead horse into horseburger.

:dedhorse:

tolkaze

Enlightened

I haven't thought of this before... I guess it depends on how torches save their programming? I guess memory would be wiped out, but modes etc, might be different.

:popcorn::popcorn:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

:crackup:
WHooooooooooooooooooo I think we've been here a few times before. :poof:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

~
Would it kill the protection circuit on our protected batteries too ?

And all our chargers ?

Are the CPF servers wrapped in tinfoil to protect them ? :tinfoil:
~

KenAnderson

Enlightened

My lights and batteries would all be safe as I keep them in insulated containers within a well grounded aluminum Zero Halliburton case. Bring it on.

DM51

Flashaholic

Some exciting and promising new research into this matter has found that a strong EMP has a significant effect on the Chip Weevils that cause so much damage in modern LEDs. The EMP renders the weevils infertile, and further deterioration of the LED is halted.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened

mmm ... horseburger ... <drool> ...

Edit: C'mon, guys, lighten up. Using the CPF 'search' for the keywords 'EMP LED' only returned 66 pages/threads (and only 65 if this one isn't included). :thinking:

Hey man, I DID use the search. Here's what I found using the search terms "emp led". Notice the part where it says "Sorry - no matches"....................

CPFsearch.jpg

And since when does one need a tinfoil hat to discuss something like an EMP? jeez

-

Last edited:

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened

No chance of my new jetbeam ST BVC being wiped, I keep it stashed under my foil lined Armadillo hat..............

Ragiska

Flashaholic*

Hey man, I DID use the search. Here's what I found using the search terms "emp led". Notice the part where it says "Sorry - no matches"....................

CPFsearch.jpg

And since when does one need a tinfoil hat to discuss something like an EMP? jeez

-
cpf search can't use 3-letter words. the CPF google search yields TONS. perhaps you should review the stick of how to search cpf.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
it is a lot easyer and faster to find anything on cpf google, than open new thread.
it took me .2 sec.
ledemp.jpg

Lunis

Newly Enlightened

Some exciting and promising new research into this matter has found that a strong EMP has a significant effect on the Chip Weevils that cause so much damage in modern LEDs. The EMP renders the weevils infertile, and further deterioration of the LED is halted.

i am such a nerd... i actually bought this lol....:laughing:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
most of your non direct drive led lights will be fried. boost and buck drivers will suffer I believe.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try searching "faraday cage".
I hate to feed the fire, but no flashlight is a faraday cage (for EM waves smaller than half a centimeter) because they have holes in them. The smug incandescent crowd has a filament (it may just glow, or it may burn out), while the LED folk have an exposed phosphor, bond wires, and so on. All flashlights have a hole for the light source to shine into the reflector. Given a very strong EMP, these small holes would be significant...but someone wouldn't need such an EMP to do significant damage.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the other hand, there is no field inside a closed conductor, and many flashlights look an awful lot like that. Moreso for things like the Twisty, where the emitter is the only thing exposed, and the driver is protected by a thick, metallic heat sink.

Also, there's issues with radiation effectively coupling to the short conductors involved in flashlights.

Hey, anyone know if aluminum oxynitride is conductive?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate to feed the fire, but no flashlight is a faraday cage (for EM waves smaller than half a centimeter) because they have holes in them. The smug incandescent crowd has a filament (it may just glow, or it may burn out), while the LED folk have an exposed phosphor, bond wires, and so on. All flashlights have a hole for the light source to shine into the reflector. Given a very strong EMP, these small holes would be significant...but someone wouldn't need such an EMP to do significant damage.

Like stated earlier, it depends on the incident angle of the pulse on the light, if the light is aimed at an angle where the window and the plastic components of the tailcap have minimal cross sections to the angle of the pulse you wouldn't expect much damage if any to the internals. Now if the cross section was maximized it would likely be devastating, though if you look at a lot of SF products, they have a LOT of aluminum and metal surrounding the circuitry by design, likely minimal if any damage would occur.

A single EMP is a very changing entity, it's not uniform at all, lots of variables and inconsistencies. Saying for sure it would do one thing or another is relatively impossible at this time. Like stated earlier, there is a lot of uncertainty with energy in the form of EMPs.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, anyone know if aluminum oxynitride is conductive?

I would doubt it is, though I'm not sure, it's a relatively new concoction.

SF sells a flip down beam cover, problem solved, it's a metallic plate which covers the entire front of the light, bring on the EMP's.