luminous flux of 35w HID vs. 7 Luxeon Vs

agravic

Newly Enlightened
my first post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif curious as to hear some opinions of the light output of a Automotive HID system 35w. Its probably common knowledge it is around 3200 lumens at 4100K

the specs on the luxeon Vs is 120. So 7 would still be much less than HIDs.

could someone comment on the efficiency of these two. or if it has been discussed, point me to the right thread.

thanks in advance!

iddibhai

Enlightened
there are two different HID systems, D1 and D2, one of them is 2800 lumens, other is 3200, one optimized for projector optics, the other for reflector optics. can't recall offhand which is which.

agravic

Newly Enlightened
thanks. most of the current HID systems out there are D2S which are projector based... those are 3200lumens. the D2R is for reflector based (form free headlights) and those are ~2800

There is a audi show car call nulvolari (sp?) that used a bunch of luxeons. would love to know the specifics of that car and headlight system. especially the optics of each luxeon star V.

iddibhai

Enlightened
if i recall, there wasn't any specifics mentioned on that webpage, just that they were using luxeons for headlamps. that must draw a lot of current and then be heatsinked pretty well. i still can't get why they want LS based headlamps, at least with current LS technology where HID is still better in terms of cost and performance.

phyhsuts

Enlightened
I think the headlights are made with Fraen optical collimators. These are very efficient (LOR 90%). I seem to remember that they used 12 4.8W Luxeons, the idea being that the luminous output is then 1440 lm which is about the same as that from a 60 or so Watt Halogen lamp. NOT HID lamp level at all. BUT the collimators are more efficient than the usual reflector systems used in headlamps, so the EFFECTIVE output may be higher than the raw output might suggest. Advantage of LEDs? They are much more resistant to mechanical shocks, something any component in an automabile encounters only too often. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif