Surefire rechargeables

cordystoy

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I have 3 of the surefire rechargeables a 9an, 8ax, and the nitron one. Is there any options as far as swapping them to led bulbs or non-rechargeable batteries. It seems like the batteries die kind of fast and at 40 bucks a pop not really worthwhile replacing with all the great new lights out there.

They were great lights in their day but it seems like they need an update. Thanks for any help.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know of any for 9 an or 8ax, but the Nitrolon one, you can get a Malkoff M60L or something to that effect, and just buy a metal bezel off the marketplace. Granted, any "P60 Style" LED Drop-in will work, but Malkofss are the best, IMHO. The bezels are rather abundant, but the Malkoff's go fast...but you could buy one straight of gene's web-page (malkoffdevices.com).

So, here's what ya need...these are approximate "used" prices on the MP
1ea. Metal Bezel (Z44?)~$15
and
1ea. Malkoff LED Drop-In~$45
or
1ea P60L (not nearly as good as the Malkoff's) ~$20

Welcome to CPF, BTW!!!!

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know of any for 9 an or 8ax, but the Nitrolon one, you can get a Malkoff M60L or something to that effect, and just buy a metal bezel off the marketplace. Granted, any "P60 Style" LED Drop-in will work, but Malkofss are the best, IMHO. The bezels are rather abundant, but the Malkoff's go fast...but you could buy one straight of gene's web-page (malkoffdevices.com).

So, here's what ya need...these are approximate "used" prices on the MP
1ea. Metal Bezel (Z44?)~$15
and
1ea. Malkoff LED Drop-In~$45
or
1ea P60L (not nearly as good as the Malkoff's) ~$20

Welcome to CPF, BTW!!!!

I believe the Nitrolon shares the same lamp assembly as the 8ax
it probably wont work.

One of the custom builders should be able to build something though, maybe nailbender could build a replacement lamp for it

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahhh...I was thinking he was refering to the G2R as the "nitrolon one"...G2 w/ AN14-BK. That's the rechargeable set-up I run...

Disregard Cordystoy, if you don't have the G2 w/ AN14 set-up.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I have seen instances of these lights getting updated here on CPF. However, it's not the simplest of upgrades, often requiring some custom work (lathe work, custom parts, etc). There are much better options IMO. Even though I don't have any of these, I'd recommend selling them on CPF/MP (their resale value isn't all that great either) and just get something more upgradeable. My two lumens, :shrug:

Last edited:

cordystoy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help guys and yeah the nitron is the big one I just don't have it with me to look at the number.