Which l.e.d. Flashlight is the most Rugged?

mahlonge

Newly Enlightened
Based on your first-hand experience with the light in actual use or based on your evaluation through examination, handling, looking at pictures, reading reviews, etc. [You will probably want to indicate on what direct or indirect experience your opinion is based.], which l.e.d. flashlight do you believe capable of withstanding the most "slings and arrows" of our day-to-day living.
Make and model, please, and your argument in support of your nomination.

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, mahlonge :)

The B/S/T section is for buying/selling/trading only, so I'll move your thread to LED Flashlights where it belongs.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on my experience only, I would say my SureFires have held up the best. Their Pyrex lenses and thick aluminum tubes are just made rugged as hell. I've had a E2DL almost since they came out and have beat the heck out of it. Still works flawlessly. I can't say the same about some of my Jetbeams and Fenix's

My 2 cents

By the way Welcome To CPF! :)

Bill

Fichtenelch

Enlightened
HDS/Ra is in my opinion the most bulletproof. Surefire is also really great.
DST is however trying to approach that image, when you have a look at the dealers corner.

rebelproud

Newly Enlightened
My surefires have been dropped all over the place, including in water, and my kroma fell off a boat. They all run flawless. What I am amazed at the most is the lack of scratches on the lens. I know these things have been hit on the glass. For my money, there is nothing better.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own an HDS(yet), but I can vouch for my 6P.

Forgot to mention my Peak El Capitan SS!! it feels almost like one solid piece of steel.

Last edited:

derangboy

Enlightened
I've been using a Surefire E1L for several years with no issues. It sits loose in a pocket with a lot of keys and a pair of pliers and has only minor scratches. It will always be my backup light. I also like the HDS clicky. Build is very good and there are a lot of well earned praises for it. I've only had it a few months but no issues with it so far.

fishx65

Enlightened
Well, i've run a few over with my truck in a cement garage. My buddies 6P became oval but still functioned. New batteries would not fit in it so he pitched it in the garbage. I also ran over the little 1aa Cree energizer and a River Rock 2aa Cammo Lux. These two survived perfectly! Both of these aa lights have really thick walls so I'm sure that's what saved them. My 15 year old Surefire 6R has been through a lot of abuse and, besides worn threads, she's still kick'n pretty good. I've also dropped a lot of my torches in the river while night fishing and they have all survived after a quick drying period. Rugged to me means simple led lights with thick walls.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!

This topic comes up quite frequently so you'll find plenty of contributions on the subject if you search. Of course, there are many variables... but my flashlight can beat up your flashlight.

IMG0021-1-1-1-1.jpg

SS Peak Night Patrol

IMG0013-2-1.jpg

tolkaze

Enlightened
Surefire: Because they are simple. Not saying the design is weak, or not well thought out. SF have been around a long time and have tweaked most of their designs and learned from a huge amount of experience, where the weak parts of a light are. But I say simple, for example the 6P, hardly any moving parts, nothing that can really break, everything can easily be replaced. Moderately strong. There are lights in the line up which are strong, but light, so wouldn't break from a fairly high drop.

HDS: Bulletproof design, a bit more complex with the electronics, but take the Ra Twisty... I don't think I could kill one even if I tried really hard! solid little lights.

and my current workshop light, because of supposed toughness

Innova X05: Its only 5x5mm LED's but a tailcap like a surefire, probably direct drive so no hardcore electronic wizardry, and can supposedly take a tank rolling over it or some such nonsense... I like it because for the price, I can have a few backups.

Oh yeah, and if you want super rugged, but don't care for brightness that much, a water tight keychain light. Seriously, would survive a fall from an airplane because they are so light for their size

Flashlike

Enlightened
I have to agree that the Surefires, HDS, and Inova flashlights are very well built for the most part. Most of the Streamlight flashlights are built fairly tough, too.

A couple of others come to mind...
Energizer Hardcase Tactical--check out this amazing torture test!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNLcglmyyWM

Kingpower AA flashlights (models K1 and K2)--very thick walls on these!
Part A http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tszy0FFYK-U
Part B http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgIGi83ot0I
Part C http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBGF2trOSPY

Fenix TK40--tough as nails!
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/233856

I'd better quit now because this makes me wanna buy more flashlights!! :laughing:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
My HDS EDC B42XR held up very well. It was basically a shelf queen, but I pocket carried it almost daily for 6 months, used it while camping, etc. It held up very well indeed. I've recently sold it, and purchased a Ra, which are supposed to be even more durable.

tucolino

Newly Enlightened
i will go anywhere anyhow with my little fenix e01, ra twisty and my peak el capitan in ss

artec540

Enlightened
I can't imagine anything more robust than an Olight SR90. Of course it's absolutely enormous and very heavy, but it's built like a brick...... In fact the usrr needs to be pretty robust himself!

Based on your first-hand experience with the light in actual use or based on your evaluation through examination, handling, looking at pictures, reading reviews, etc. [You will probably want to indicate on what direct or indirect experience your opinion is based.], which l.e.d. flashlight do you believe capable of withstanding the most "slings and arrows" of our day-to-day living.
Make and model, please, and your argument in support of your nomination.

tolkaze

Enlightened
based on real world CPF test results I would say the fenix E01, TK20.

Actually, I second the E01... I have bought about 8 of them for family and friends, and no reports of dead lights. Tough, simple and wont get dead from a drop of a couple of meters