New guy with a question!!!

KC9LJO

Newly Enlightened
First I'd like to say HI, I stumbled upon this site by accident and was suprised to find people so into flashlights. And for the record I think it's cool. Now my question. What is it about flashlights that you find so interesting? Now don't take this the wrong way...I like them to. And I plan on learning more about them and maybe even moding one or two. But there is a strange attraction to flashlights displayed by folks here, and myself, that if someone asked me to explain I don't think I could. So please help me understand!

andyw513

Enlightened
Hey! First let me say :welcome:.

I can't really say what draws people to flashlights, maybe it's the same attraction that drives motorheads to raise hoods all day long, or maybe its the simple fact that things don't always have to remain the same, hence modding.

For me, it's a hobby, a real expensive one, but still a hobby. I work on lights in my spare time, read about them when I'm bored with everything else, and ponder all the time on how to make the ones I have brighter and better.

But since you asked what drives us, on here you're liable to hear answers ranging from fumes in hot batteries drawing people to lights, or small chip weevils embedding themselves in your head at night when you sleep. The main thing to know is it's a good, clean way to pass time, and you'll meet a lot of great people along your way that are just like you and me. Congrats!

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me.. I act like a kid in a candy store when around lights, knives, guns, etc.. etc..

They go hand in hand.

savumaki

Enlightened
First I'd like to say HI, I stumbled upon this site by accident and was suprised to find people so into flashlights. And for the record I think it's cool. Now my question. What is it about flashlights that you find so interesting? Now don't take this the wrong way...I like them to. And I plan on learning more about them and maybe even moding one or two. But there is a strange attraction to flashlights displayed by folks here, and myself, that if someone asked me to explain I don't think I could. So please help me understand!

Insert guns, knives, radios, archery, cars, stamps, etc, etc, etc, and the answer is there somewhere.

Welcome to CPF.

joe1512

Enlightened
People are always looking for 'something good'.

I started because I wanted a 'really good flashlight', instead of all these crappy ones I'd buy because of false advertising.

Then I came here, learned that the 95 LED light really was NOT the greatest light evar, and eventually bought a good light for myself.

Guys like having powerful tools and toys and having a 600 lumen flashlight, or a really well built light with a great beam can be very satisfying.
Same as having a top-tier racing bike or the biggest rock collection, or cool HID car lights, or just about anything.

With flashlights, it is a great and relatively cheap way to get 'the best' of something, that is also useful and fun to show off.

DoctaDink

Enlightened
I find myself fascinated by things that solve problems creatively ,efficiently and aesthetically. Flashlights being one of them.
It has been fun to see how flashlight technology has continued to grow and improve over the decades. Better beams, longer runtimes, better color, better / more interface options, smaller packages, new materials, etc. ...and often for less money. It is cool to see how different individuals or manufactures address the problem of how to light the dark.

Like many others here, I find many things interesting such as: Firearms, Knives, Bikes, Aircraft, Photography, Pens, Computers, Music, Woodworking, Tools, ...etc.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I simply got interested in having a tiny light that could always be with me and also be reliable. As I tried more and more lights trying to find the perfect one it became more and more enjoyable.

For the most part the people here are pretty decent and it's a better hobby than most, not to mention, not very expensive compared to cars and boats! Besides, I just lost my job and got back pretty much all the money I had into the lights I sold, and still have all my favorites.

fishhead

Newly Enlightened
I like them because they are bright and shiny. Oh wait, that's my inner magpie talking....

Seriously though, after getting a few custom titanium lights, I find the notion of well made, handcrafted, works of art that also work as flashlights to be irresistibly appealing. At least it's cheaper than my photography hobby.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Why are some hams attracked to Morse keys/paddles, and have collections of dozens of them?

Why do we collect qsl cards (really)