Which do you recommend?

• FENRIX LD10 r4

Votes: 40 64.5%
  • Nitecore Defender infinity

Votes: 22 35.5%

• Total voters

UsnRoberts

Newly Enlightened
I cant decide and I'm rather new to the world of light.
I'm looking for a respectable light source that I can carry around with me for watch standing, camping, ect. Portability is important but I don't want to sacrifice battery life for tiny tiny. I will most likely use rechargeable AAs or Alkaline. And as usual ouput is important. Thanks for the help in advance!

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forget alkaline. They will not allow for high output, due to their internal resistance, nor will they allow for very long runt times. Either go Ni-MH rechargeable, or Lithium AA's.

The Fenix is nice, in that you can access several modes very quickly. With the Nitecore Defender, you're stuck with one of two modes. The R4 Fenix will definitely produce more light than the Nitecore as well. Fenix is well respected on these boards as producing durable, quality, efficient lights. Personally, I would go with the Fenix, as it is easier to use, and more versatile.

But like I said, either choice is good, but make sure you run either Ni-MH or Lithium AA's.

NightKids

Enlightened
Definately go the Fenix here. It's got great durability and the quality plus light output is excellent!

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and I like them both. LD10 is probably the best choice because with its higher number of levels you can use just the amount of light you need thus saving your battery. But as John_Galt says, forget alkaline in these powerful lights.

BTW: :welcome:

jag-engr

Enlightened
Not to throw a wrench in your decision, but if you want a compact AA light with a good range of levels, definitely check out the Zebralight SC50 or SC50w. It has three output modes with low and medium being programmable. It has a dependable electronic switch and the pocket clip is one of the best I've used - better than the Quark or Nitecore pocket clips.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and I like them both. LD10 is probably the best choice because with its higher number of levels you can use just the amount of light you need thus saving your battery. But as John_Galt says, forget alkaline in these powerful lights.

Exactly. So in the usual CPF mantra, get BOTH!

MR.A

Newly Enlightened
go for nitecore with AW14500 3.7 V. Fenix no really not.

Nitecore is nicer and believe me can stand without any problem longer than Fenix.

Last edited:

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
If alkalines are a must for you the Fenix's pre-spaced modes and top notch efficiency might work better for you.

Batou00159

Enlightened

the NDI has an IBS on 2 function?

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not one of your two choices, but consider a D10 SP.

Smaller than either, three modes plus strobe modes you don't have to click through, and fully regulated on 14500's. Nice deep-carry pocket clip available for it too. Also available in either cool or neutral white. More of a thrower than the Fenix, but that's a matter of preference. I prefer throwers, even for up-close, small task use as I prefer the brighter (although narrower) spill area of throwers compared to floody lights.