Debit Card Compromised

tnathletics2b

Newly Enlightened
Hey CPFers,

Just wanted to let you guys know that after purchasing a P7 from www.tek-tite.com, I had about $2,200 in fraudulent purchases made on my debit card. Roughly $1,200 was spent at Dell.com, and another $1,000 or so at Duramicro.com on hard drives.

Just a heads up and reminder to be careful of where you purchase your stuff and to keep an eye out on your bank account!

(This is in no way meant to be derogatory at Tek-Tite, they most likely had no idea- but it does mean their servers are not very secure!)

Last edited by a moderator:

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
Re: Fraud Alert on Tek-Tite's Website!

Wow, thanks for the public service announcement. Luckily I only give my credit information to a select handful of websites. I use PayPal whenever I can. A few months ago www.MonoPrice.com was breached and peoples information was stolen. Luckily that didn't include me.

tnathletics2b

Newly Enlightened

No problem. The bank is working with me to get my money back, but it will be 10 days before I get a new debit card :hairpull:

mn_doggie

Newly Enlightened

Hey CPFers,

Just wanted to let you guys know that after purchasing a P7 from www.tek-tite.com, I had about $2,200 in fraudulent purchases made on my debit card. Roughly $1,200 was spent at Dell.com, and another $1,000 or so at Duramicro.com on hard drives.

Just a heads up and reminder to be careful of where you purchase your stuff and to keep an eye out on your bank account!

(This is in no way meant to be derogatory at Tek-Tite, they most likely had no idea- but it does mean their servers are not very secure!)

Did you make them aware of the problem? Did they respond?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

There are 4 obvious places the breach occurred.
1) Your computer. Have you checked to make sure hackers have not gotten into your computer and installed key-logger software.
2) Tek-Tite's Website. Small web companies do not handle credit card/debit card transactions directly so they do not see your financial information. But hackers are now hacking these sales websites to download key-logger software. Notify them to check their website.
A movie showtime listing site decided to sell tickets online. A month ago it tried to download a .COM file on my computer. OSX warned me about the suspicious file and I was able to terminate the download from my end. The website was down for 2 days while they fixed the problem. I lost 3 hours rescanning my hard drive just in case. I was not buying tickets just checking the schedule.
3) The actual web card processor such as PayPal or monoprice mentioned earlier. Notify Tek-Tite so they can notify the card processor even though your bank has probably already done that.
4) Have you used your card in brick and mortar stores.
4a) The stores hold your info for at least 3 months until they get paid by your bank. Some stores never get around to removing that info from their computer.
4b) Some unscrupulous store employees swipe your card through a fake machine to get the info off the stripe. Then hidden cameras catch your PIN number. Those card readers are small enough to slip into bank ATM machine slots so check the machine card slot carefully before using it.

MikeAusC

Enlightened

Is Tek-Tite the ONLY place you've used this card - or just the LAST place you used it ?

I once had a fraudulent transaction on my card for a taxi fare - but luckily I could narrow it down to a transaction made SIX MONTHS previously !

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the warning , but this has nothing to do with Homemade or Modified Flashlights, this should have been posted on the Cafe...

Colorblinded

Enlightened
Is Tek-Tite the ONLY place you've used this card - or just the LAST place you used it ?
Agreed, how do you know that Tek-Tite is where the information leaked, or that it even occurred somewhere else in the chain as a result of that purchase?

I got hit with fraudulent charges a month or so ago, I don't know who I purchased from most recently before that. Even if I did, I'd have no way of knowing if it was because of someone I purchased from a day before or six months before.

Last edited by a moderator:

Empath

Flashaholic
The title of this thread has been changed. Such titles wouldn't even survive in the Jeers forum, and they aren't any less risky or fair here.

Even though some of the intermediate threads following the opening post still carry the previous title, please abstain from using that title.