Debit Card fraud!!

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone please tell me how this be possible?

My g/f debt card was used in Prismo Beach in Ca (we are also in Ca). They said someone used the physical card and swiped it and entered the pin # to purchase a $280 sunglass at sunglass hut. Here is the funny part, my g/f was working that day and her debit card was in her purse (still is). Her password is not common. How is this possible??? A physical card and her password stolen?? I am stumbled.

Now the bank said since the purchase was in our geographical region, she has a slim chance of getting her money back!

She called and canceled her debit card already.

Any idea wtf happened?

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone please tell me how this be possible?

My g/f debt card was used in Prismo Beach in Ca (we are also in Ca). They said someone used the physical card and swiped it and entered the pin # to purchase a $280 sunglass at sunglass hut. Here is the funny part, my g/f was working that day and her debit card was in her purse (still is). Her password is not common. How is this possible??? A physical card and her password stolen?? I am stumbled.

Now the bank said since the purchase was in our geographical region, she has a slim chance of getting her money back!

She called and canceled her debit card already.

Any idea wtf happened?

The card is simply a handy way to carry around a magnetic stripe with your bank account number encoded in it. Thieves with a card writer simply write that same magnetic info onto a blank card and voila!

Most of the time, they modify a debit pad to record account numbers and PIN's as you enter them, then swap that modified pad with a legitimate one at a legitimate store when the clerk isn't looking. That's why you see increasing numbers of stores that keep their debit pads below the counters or mounted with security locks now.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have heard talk of serious hi-tech thief's that are able to scan your barcode at some time such as when you use the atm or swipe at a poorly supervised machine. They have managed to make their own small card readers, they take your cards info and make a fake card with all the proper info on it. They can get your pin just watching you type it.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
The card is simply a handy way to carry around a magnetic stripe with your bank account number encoded in it. Thieves with a card writer simply write that same magnetic info onto a blank card and voila!

Most of the time, they modify a debit pad to record account numbers and PIN's as you enter them, then swap that modified pad with a legitimate one at a legitimate store when the clerk isn't looking. That's why you see increasing numbers of stores that keep their debit pads below the counters or mounted with security locks now.

He basically nailed it- crooks are installing high tech skimming devices over ATM's, Gas Pump readers etc. On the ATM's- they can either mount a small pinhole camera (low tech) or a keyboard overlay that records each keystoke (more sophisticated). They can even retreive the data via wireless transmiter if close enough. Blank white cards with mag stripes can be purchased in bulk and encoded with the info. I see this happen almost every day- and it is getting worse.:shakehead

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
Had the same problem. Visa took care off it.

Somewhere someone recorded the magnetic strip, watched me key in the pin(simple by the hand movement as they don't need to be close to you), and then they went shopping draining my account deep into overdraft.

All charges were removed by Visa, and Visa makes the retail store responsible for not verifying identity. No one pursues the thief.

Don't use debit!!

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
The differences in the way fraud is handled is why I only use credit cards and refuse to use a debit card. With a fraudulent charge on a credit card, you can just not pay the charge while you dispute the transaction. With a debit card your money is gone while you fight with the bank to get it back. You've already lost most of your power if they already have your money. Once they have your money from the debit card, the burden of proof is on the victim to try to get their money back. With a credit card, the store owner and the credit card company needs to prove the charge is genuine before the victim is forced to pay.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dude that means we can't be carrying our debit card when we go out, now that really sucks!

Just a matter of discretion, shady ATM's or shops that have their ATM's relatively unattended to in stores should be avoided when possible. It's not a common occurrence yet, hopefully it can be stopped.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man how I wished they stole a credit card info instead of a debit card. At least credit card is easier to dispute.

The bank kept asking, are you sure you didn't lend it to your family member? Did someone took it from your purse, used it, and put it back? I know those are the standard questions, but it was her attitude that makes those questions sounded so horrible.

fabienne

Enlightened
Just months ago in my country there's been a case breakdown on major syndicate operating for debit and credit card skimming. Apparently they are very professional and organized in which they monitor the ATM first before putting any skimming device and hidden camera, and transfer the data to other cities and make the withdrawal in other cities.

Skimming device is put on the hole where we inserted our card and the hidden camera can be posed anything from steel box or brochure box acting as if it's part of the ATM machine. Right now after the case breakdown, the bank decided to put anti-skimming device, do sweeping on any hidden camera in ATM, and put at least one guard in every ATM center.

Below are the pictures being distributed in my language to give more knowledge on how they operate.

Hope it helps.

1forum276a.jpg

2forum276b.jpg

6forum276c.jpg

7forum276d.jpg

8arahspycam.jpg

3forum276f.jpg

9forum276g.jpg

4forum276h.jpg

9aforum276i.jpg

http://www.fajar.co.id/photohead/1264035734grafis.jpg

http://www.punchng.com/images/December/Sunday/pix20071202331418.jpg

skim2.jpg

skimmer1.jpg

http://consumerist.com/images/31/2009/04/041909-008-atm-skimmer-pinhole-camera.png

http://consumerist.com/images/31/2009/04/041909-008-boa-skimmer-pinhole-camera-removed.png

http://consumerist.com/images/31/2009/04/041909-008-boa-atm-skimmer-pinhole-camera-back-2.png

spy2g.jpg

spy2ay.jpg

http://consumerist.com/images/31/2009/04/041909-008-boa-card-skimmer-front.png

041909008boaatmskimmerf.png

http://consumerist.com/images/31/2009/04/041909-008-boa-atm-skimmer-removed.png

http://consumerist.com/images/31/2009/04/041909-008-boa-atm-skimmer-back.png

http://consumerist.com/images/31/2009/04/041909-002-atlanta-boa-card-skimmer-front.png

http://consumerist.com/images/31/2009/04/041909-002-atlanta-boa-card-skimmer-back.png[/spoiler]

http://www.lumension.com/images/email/WordPress/images_for_posts/040609-001-card-skimmer-front.png

http://www.lumension.com/images/email/WordPress/images_for_posts/040609-001-card-skimmer-back.png[/spoiler]

http://www.devicedaily.com/wp-content/gallery/44/attack-of-the-card-skimmers-tech.jpg

attackofthecardskimmers.jpg
[/spoiler]

48062948_1e39b1068e.jpg

wasi.jpg

amano.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh my! I think the bank should send out employee once a day or so and check to see if anything looks fishy near/on the atm machine during non busy hours. Especially in the morning just in case someone installed something during the night.

Last edited:

gorn

Enlightened
Oh my! I think the bank should send out employee once a day or so and check to see if anything looks fishy near/on the atm machine during non busy hours. Especially in the morning just in case someone installed something during the night.

It doesn't just happen at bank atm's. A large fraud ring got caught in my area that was doing that on gas pumps. They had been operating for a couple of years before they got nailed.

JonN06

Newly Enlightened
Last year someone got my wife's card info somewhere, I assume a gas pump and tried to buy a bunch of lame shoes of zappos I think and other places. Luckily we were able to catch it fast enough before any of the stuff had even shipped out and we were not responsible for carrying any of the lost funds. The bank, zappos, and the other companies involved were all really friendly about it and easy to work with in my case.

You can use your debit card like a credit card. whenever you are purchasing somewhere just click credit instead and you sign for it. Or, if it asks for your pin hit cancel and it will usually ask if you want to do credit. This makes it easier to dispute claims. You can just say you didn't sign for it. And, since your bank has your signature on file when you opened the account they can tell if it is or isn't your signature. Chase bank recommends this anyways, I would assume other banks do as well.

Whenever I used to be a bank teller a few years ago, the bank I was with had a policy that if you caught it within 48 hours you were only responsible for up to $50 dollars. Hopefully your g/f can get most of her money back. Sorry about the long post.

Good luck

fabienne

Enlightened
The thing is that sometimes news like this are being covered-up to avoid copy-cat crimes, but instead the crime itself is moving from one continent to others unknowingly. The major syndicate caught in my country has got foreigners as their operational head and they definitely got their idea from the same crime happened in US few years ago.

Now there's a new method, some employee brought home credit card print-out along with expiry and CVV numbers written. With that info, you can practically do online shopping using some one else's card. Better try to cover ur CVV numbers, if possible. Although some online shop already had some prevention methods, such as only authorizing the payment after rechecking the address with credit card, but not all is doing such things.

JonN06

Newly Enlightened
Along with what fabienne said, recently in Edmond, Oklahoma there was a string of a few small stores that supposedly the employees were the ones running the scam and getting the peoples card numbers and info. :shakehead

You just have to be really careful where you buy your stuff I guess.. Having a credit card to use sometimes, and then just pay it off the same month from your bank account would probably help you avoid losses. Usually credit cards are easier to get your money back, and it's not all your money coming out of your bank account.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bank O A said they would replace my money the moment I objected to any charge, while the dispute was settled.

I don't wanna find out whether or not they're lying ..
anyone ever actually have a bank replace the money immediately?

gorn

Enlightened
Bank O A said they would replace my money the moment I objected to any charge, while the dispute was settled.

I don't wanna find out whether or not they're lying ..
anyone ever actually have a bank replace the money immediately?

My debit card info was sold by a bank employee. I caught it real quick and only had a couple hundred dollars charged that I couldn't cancell with the merchants. It took Wells Fargo about 2 weeks to replace the money.

An employee of their security branch had been selling info for a long time before he got caught.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
My debit card info was sold by a bank employee. I caught it real quick and only had a couple hundred dollars charged that I couldn't cancell with the merchants. It took Wells Fargo about 2 weeks to replace the money.

An employee of their security branch had been selling info for a long time before he got caught.

Imagine all the people he caused damage to; not to mention the time and headaches!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hacken

Enlightened
going to call and ask wells fargo for a new debit card. i think i should do this once every 6 months so be safe. i use my debit pin card a lot.