Cop in a handicapped parking space!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just stopped at the grocery store on my way home, about 12:30 AM. I was quite annoyed to find a police car parked in one of the marked disabled parking spaces. I saw the cop in the store, he wasn't on any "official business", he was getting a snack, and appeared to be "on duty" given the uniform he was wearing.

I assume this sort of behavior is NOT allowed? I HATE cops that think they can have privledges the rest of us cannot! It was late and there was plenty of other, non disabled front row parking. Personally I have arthritis and could get a disabled parking permit if I wanted one, but I DON'T, because I don't REALLY need it. I leave the spot empty for somebody that does need it.

I took a bunch of pics with my cell phone, showing the liscense plates, car number, and clearly where it was parked.

I'm not going to lie, I'm pissed. If I would have saw the cop in the parking lot, I would have yelled at him. I think he deserves to be punished. I nearly called another cop out. What should I do with my photographs? Should I take them down to the local PD and have a little chat about the incident, or maybe I should skip right over them and send 'em to the local news stations? This kind of nonsense isn't allowed is it? If the man is legally handicapped, then he can't possibly be a cop...

There was a local news story several months ago about a cop parked in an emergency space while he was on a donut break - a lawyer caught him, gave the cop a ticket, and took the entire police department to court. The lawyer won. :ironic:

:shakehead :shakehead

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd give copies of the photos to the local media.
The two competing newspapers in my area would really go to town with photos like that.

Was the officer wearing a small name tag attached to the top of the breast pocket or were there any visible badge #'s on his uniform's shirt?

parker2520

Newly Enlightened
I hope this thread is short lived and CPF doesn't become CBF(Cop Bashing Forum) . Lighten up....

jellydonut

Enlightened
I don't. Bad people, no matter what their profession, need to be called out.
In my opinion someone entrusted with law enforcement/public safety should be *especially* open to scrutiny by the people they claim to enforce the law over.

parker2520

Newly Enlightened
While you guys are sitting home, with your families, at the table casually enjoying dinner, this guy is grabbing a snack,which may be his dinner, that he will eat while sitting in his cruiser. Additionally, if he gets an emmergency call, his snack goes out the window. He will probably repeat this scenario on most of the holidays.(Christmas, Thanksgiving, kids birthdays).. It's a tough tough job, alot of sacrifices that you guys don't even realize......

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work in the service industry...in fact I wear a blue uniform and am frequently mistaken for a police officer when I stop at the store on my way to or from work. I am very aware of the scrutiny I am under even when I'm off duty but still in uniform, for this officer to park a "company car" in a disabled parking space for a personal shopping trip demonstrates his attitude toward the public he serves. Maybe he truly did not think anything of it since it was late at night but that is no more an excuse than he would have allowed anyone else had he caught them speeding or parking right where he was.

It's too bad you didn't go up to him and point out his parking error immediately as then you would have a better idea whether or not he was parking there because he was in a hurry or because he was wearing a badge.

I would say take it to the Police Department first, one of the upper command or even the Chief if it applies....but there is a chance it will get swept under the rug and never see the light of day even if the officer is disciplined.

Taking it to the Newspapers first is more likely to make the front page and local evening tv news, but is also likely to get you some undesired attention and possibly from the PD.

I wish you luck with your descision, I do believe that something should be done to make the officer aware that what he did was not only wrong morally but was in fact illegal, so that it doesn't happen again.

emac

Newly Enlightened
I have great respect for the police force however as a tax paying citizen I have a certain expectation of the officers to respect the law that they are entrusted to enforce. Be it a simple thing as parking in a handicapped spot or speeding on a residential street when there is no emergency and they do not have their emergency lights and sirens on. It just creates a better relationshipt between the law abiding citizens and the police.

I don't think you should go as far as the local media just call up his captain and RESPECTFULLY discuss your concerns and mention that it upset you as a citizen to see the local police so blatantly disrespect the law.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
While you guys are sitting home, with your families, at the table casually enjoying dinner, this guy is grabbing a snack,which may be his dinner, that he will eat while sitting in his cruiser. Additionally, if he gets an emmergency call, his snack goes out the window. He will probably repeat this scenario on most of the holidays.(Christmas, Thanksgiving, kids birthdays).. It's a tough tough job, alot of sacrifices that you guys don't even realize......

We understand where you are coming from but it's still wrong for a city employee, be it the mayor, fire chief, or dog catcher, to park in a handicapped space at half past midnight in a uncrowded parking lot.
This guy could have just as easily parked in the regular space beside the handicapped parking zone.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast

First...he gets vacation time, a decent salary and most of all...it's a job he chose...he doesn't get to pick and choose which laws to break just because he is the one wearing the badge. If he can't handle being under scrutiny while on the job then he needs to find another job.

funkymonkey1111

Enlightened

So?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Send the pictures to the local police chief, not the media. This way the officer involved will receive direct and appropriate remedial training and/or discipline, and the rest of the force will be spared any undue embarrassment.

OCD

Enlightened
If he didn't want to walk, he could of easily parked right in front of the store in the fire lane, if there was one. That way he would be taking up a fire truck parking spot (which most likely won't be needed) instead of a disabled spot. I don't think anyone would have questioned him parking there instead.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I hope this thread is short lived and CPF doesn't become CBF(Cop Bashing Forum) . Lighten up....

We hope you and your ten posts are around long enough to find out what CPF is about. We have many law enforcement officers who are prominent members of the forum, and you won't find much in the way of bashing of any kind anywhere here..

It's too bad you didn't go up to him and point out his parking error immediately

Oh you can go ahead and do that :whistle: You'd be amazed how many minor, ticketable infractions an officer can find on your vehicle in a very short amount of time when angered..

And a +1 to everyone noting that he could have parked anywhere; in the fire line, up on the sidewalk, in the grass, etc. If you can park even in places that aren't for parking, then why would you ever even consider the handicapped space..

Greta

Flashaholic
It always amuses me when people get so indignant and militant about stuff like this... as if they have never, ever done anything illegal in their life. Such paragons of virtue... I am honored to be associated.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
We all like to believe it when the constitution says "all men are created equal".

:crackup:

When I talk about cops I like to use this quote from a film: "Who watches the Watchmen?" Well, who watches the cops?

When you put someone in a position of authority, eventually that authority will be taken advantage of and abused. Just like cops love to point out "show me one innocent civilian who has never broken the law", well, show me one innocent cop who hasn't broken the law.

You can't.

It's human nature to abuse authority, but there's also something called common sense.:shakehead In other words what the OP witnessed was a lack of discipline, the root of all police misconduct.

Yes, there are a few good cops, but I'm not going to sugar coat it. I'm just sick and tired of police corruption.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
It always amuses me when people get so indignant and militant about stuff like this... as if they have never, ever done anything illegal in their life. Such paragons of virtue... I am honored to be associated.

I think in this particular situation the key difference is we civvies will (as in guaranteed) get a $50+ ticket and a tow truck, and the cop, well... 'nuff said.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I saw an article awhile back about a sheriff that after coming out of a restaraunt discovered he had accidentally parked in a handicapped space. He gave himself a $300 ticket and paid it. He essentially apologized for doing wrong (even though it was a mistake) and accepted the consequences. I would suggest you send the pictures to a local news station that has something like problem solving for difficult situations. They should be able to handle it. I would suggest though that you tell them you have no desire to make the issue into a big parade unless of course the authorities refuse to do what is right about it, the power of the media to make a police department look bad will hold them more accountable than a single person trying to handle a situation that is not prepared for a possible fight or be ignored and scoffed at.

ctcfirearms

Newly Enlightened
Speaking as a retired Lieutenant, I would recommend that you go to the station and speak with his immediate supervisor. You may assume that he wasn't initially there on "official business", but only his superiors and duty logs would be able to rule that out first. I'm not attempting to make an excuse, I wasn't there either. You just want to be sure before any possible wrongful accusations.

If they confirm your suspicions, I can almost assure you that they will address it appropriately with their subordinate. Everyone can use a little positive reinforcement now and then towards their assigned duties and work ethic to keep them on the right path.

The system of "checks and balances" is there to work in the best interest of all of us. Give it a chance, you might be surprised.

P.S. If he were my Officer and had indeed erred in judgment, I would appreciate the concerned citizen bringing it to my direct attention. I can assure you that it would be seriously addressed.

I hope this helps some and good luck with your decision!

Status
Not open for further replies.