De-Greening Luxeons

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
My brother restores and refinishes crystal ware. He has some pieces on display we tried to light with some Luxeon Stars, unfortunately all I had available were some greenish P2s. Green my be an inconvienence in a flashlight but in crystal ware it is the difference between a thousand dollar V-ah-se and a twenty-five cent yard sale peanut butter jar.

Photographers use filters called Minus Green to balance and correct flouresent lights for film and video work. I had a piece of Rosco "Tough 1/2 minus green" and tried it out. The 1/2 minus green pulled the color of the lowend P2 up to about a mid P3 with only a lose of about 25%. Really impressive. I bought some 1/8 and 1/4 minus green from a local theater arts store and played with different combinations of filters, P2s and drives to make a set of five display lights that looked equally white and bright.

fb685a33.jpg

Next step was to perk up some flashlights. I cut a piece to fit the bezel of one of my Mags.

fb685a35.jpg

Works like this

fb685a29.jpg

The 1/2 minus green will pull an LS up about one bin number with a loss of about 20-25%, the 1/4 minus green, about half a bin number (loss 15-18%) and the 1/8 minus green can be used to fine tune arrays to the same color.

Now I can use most of the P1s and P2s in general use (presents, etc. ) flashlights without people asking why it is green and save the Q3s for my lights. This is going to be better than telling them that the eye is most sensitive to green and therefore the light is more efficient.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is great. I was just complaining about the R2H I got that turned out to have a green tint. I'm going to the camera store.....Oh, maybe I should call first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

LukeK

Enlightened
Wow -- those filters produce some very nice results! You say that the 1/2 minus produces a loss of 20-25%. Are you talking about loss of light output?

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
Zelandeth

The filters come as a 24in X 20in (60cm X 50cm) sheet (enough to make about a hundred filters for a Mag) and cost $US6-7 each. They are available in the UK.

LukeK

As an old satellite engineer out of habit I expressed it as a loss, the spec says 75% transmission for the 1/2 minus green. The Rosco.com site has better spectral charts than those in the picture above.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmmm... maybe lux reading are in order? You photo doesn't look like a 25% loss, but I suppose it's hard to tell in a photo.

Entropy

Enlightened
Keep in mind that the eye's response to brightness is nonlinear. i.e. a difference in 25% is tough to see. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,
I was told by a fellow CPFer in England, that if you write the company they will send you a sample booklet. Although the sheets would be small, I was advised that they would be big enough to do a small flashlight. I was also advised that he wasn't sure if they would ship to the U.S., but I think it's worth a try.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, the head office is in Ontario! I'm gonna email them and see what happens.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard from Rosco. The customer service rep gave me this phone number 1-800-767-2669. The rep said that they would be able to help.

Ross

Enlightened
Chop - I'm in Scotland ...............thats like me saying you are in Canada....................(only joking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Pops,

Stunning find! (and more questions people will be asking now when buying lights, whether it's new mods or resales: "Uh, is the lens Gel'd? And if so, uh, what rating is it -- 1/2, 1/4, or 1/8?"
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Also if used on an already white Luxeon, will it turn the beam color -- violet or something?

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would assume that 'half minusgreen' is the same as two sheets of 'quarter minusgreen'?

Therefore it seem like a better idea to buy the sheet of lower factor (say the eighth) an use a few sheets each time. This makes 'fine tuning' easy and it's not like you're about to run out of material......

Doug Owen