Quark Regular v. Tactical v. Nitecore D10

northslope

Newly Enlightened
I am considering buying the Quark Regular or Tactical. I am a little worried about the tactical UI however, of programming only two modes. Can I not use two modes (ie: moon mode and high) and quickly toggle to a third (medium). All the threads suggest that I am stuck with just two modes. I can re-program but then I am stuck with two different modes. Can't decide!

Also, I like the Nitecore D10 but it looks like a clip is extra and the cost of that light would really be getting up there.

I would like access to THREE modes (low, medium and high ; or low, medium and turbo). I don't care about SOS, and Beacon modes.

What advice/suggestions can you give?

Edited to add: What about the Proton Pro versus the above lights?

Last edited:

Boris

Newly Enlightened
Yes indeed, you only have two modes with the tactical. if you want to change them, you have to reprogram the flashlight, which is easy, but still. you will be more confortable with the regular quark. the regular one, also can tailstand. the D10 is very popular, is smaller than the quark, but, as you said, you have to buy the pocket clip. also, maybe this is just mine, but i had a D10 and a D20, that i loved, bot from time to time they failed to turn on, and i had to disassemble an assemble it again (both of them), so as much as i liked them, i got rid of them.

Also, Why not try fenix? those are excellent too

red02

Enlightened
ET P20s have 3 modes off the bat, the disco modes are all hidden. 2 modes are ready from the word go, max and general and a low is a bezel twist away.

yowzer

Enlightened
The Quark Regular UI is very frustrating for me. Between having the SOS/beacon modes in rotation, and having to cycle through a bunch of levels to get to the one you want. It'd be better with a last mode memory or Zebralight style push and hold to cycle, but as it is, I only carry it if I need the moonlight mode.

The original, ramping D10 is my favorite EDC light. Single mode, but very easy to change that mode's brightness. They're hard to find these days, though.

Zebralight's flashlights are very good choices too.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
ive never been a fan of the quark regular UI. i like the tactical mode much more. but if 3 modes is what your looking for the jetbeam jet I pro is 3 mode programmable. also has options for grey or OD finish, R2 or Q3 emitter option, with smooth or OP reflector.

northslope

Newly Enlightened
The Quark Regular UI is very frustrating for me. Between having the SOS/beacon modes in rotation, and having to cycle through a bunch of levels to get to the one you want. It'd be better with a last mode memory or Zebralight style push and hold to cycle, but as it is, I only carry it if I need the moonlight mode.

The original, ramping D10 is my favorite EDC light. Single mode, but very easy to change that mode's brightness. They're hard to find these days, though.

Zebralight's flashlights are very good choices too.

Zebralights are facsinating to me. I like the angle. However, I have seen some "reliability" threads that give me concern, especially for a $70 light. I have seriously considered them. They seem very functional.
Also Why aren't the new D10 versions as good as the old? Also, what is the difference between R2 and Q3?

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralights are facsinating to me. I like the angle. However, I have seen some "reliability" threads that give me concern, especially for a $70 light. I have seriously considered them. They seem very functional.
Also Why aren't the new D10 versions as good as the old? Also, what is the difference between R2 and Q3?

The new D10 has a different UI - 3 preset levels that cycle as you hold the piston down. The old D10 had a "ramping" UI, which allowed you to hold the piston down and have the light smoothly decrease/increase in output, allowing 100's of possible levels.

The old D10 also used a different style of piston than the new one. The o-ring is lower and larger in the body, so you can't just swap pistons between the two. There are "hybrid" D10's floating around out there (see: the D10 Tribute edition) that combine the new piston design with the old UI.

The older D10's (SP, but not R2) use a very similiar LED to the one found in the Fenix L0D. It's dimmer and a different tint (closer to neutral imo, the new emitter is more blue).

In my personal opinion, I'd carry D10 > AA Tactical > AA Regular.

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
I've got the Quark AA and the D10 SP. Once I tweaked the o-ring on the D10 to make it move smoothly, it has become my hands down favorite. I like the cool tint, it's not greenish like my Quarks, lets me cycle through the settings and remembers the setting I prefer. I keep hearing about the ramping D10s and I almost bought one used but I prefer the three well spaced settings on the SP plus the easy to use momentary switching (just loosen the bezel and push the button partway down to light). It also allows you to lock it out by pressing and holding the button until you see a flash... to light the flashlight, just give it 3 quick presses on the button and it's back. Works well with a NiMH and just as well with a 14500 rechargeable Li-Ion.

The SOS and Strobe are well hidden, but it's easy to turn them on if you need it.

I don't have the clip for mine yet, but I have ordered one. It also fits nicely into my Quark holster!:D

The only reason that makes me reach for the Quark is the moon mode, and I rarely need something that low as the low on the D10 is just about right for me.

It's easy to choose when you have them all..... but it's almost impossible to be sure you made the right choice if you only buy one! :devil:

Regards

Christian

lovenhim

Enlightened
I like my Quark 123 regular. I prefer the regular UI over the tactical because I like the modes. I do not like being limited by two modes when with the regular a simple press will get you the brightness that you want. I do wish they did not have the beacon and SOS modes at all in the light. The light will tailstand right out of the box, so for me the regular has a better UI and works better for my use.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's easy to choose when you have them all..... but it's almost impossible to be sure you made the right choice if you only buy one! :devil:

Regards

Christian

This man hit the nail square on the head. Sooner or later you're going to find yourself saying "well, maybe just one more light *click* oh, and this is the last one *click* and maybe just one more couldn't hurt...". :broke:

:D

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a tactical Quark for months now, trust me two modes are not that limiting. I've reprogrammed mine dozens of times for experimenting/fun, but the amount of times I've actually needed to re-program because I didn't have a close enough mode can be counted on one hand. I like Med/Max as a setup (about 20/200 lumens). One time I needed to reprogram to moon cause I was in a theater and wanted it to be in moon if I needed something and another time was in a tent. If you set med/max like I do, moon is the mode you'd want most often other than these too and is the easiest to program: just do the 4 twists (which take less than a sec), cover the bezel for the 3 blinks and then you've got moon right away, just be conscious to cover up the light before the confirmation flashes. Trust me, it sounds like a hassle but in reality it is very easy.

Last edited:

northslope

Newly Enlightened
I've had a tactical Quark for months now, trust me two modes are not that limiting. I've reprogrammed mine dozens of times for experimenting/fun, but the amount of times I've actually needed to re-program because I didn't have a close enough mode can be counted on one hand. I like Med/Max as a setup (about 20/200 lumens). One time I needed to reprogram to moon cause I was in a theater and wanted it to be in moon if I needed something and another time was in a tent. If you set med/max like I do, moon is the mode you'd want most often other than these too and is the easiest to program: just do the 4 twists (which take less than a sec), cover the bezel for the 3 blinks and then you've got moon right away, just be conscious to cover up the light before the confirmation flashes. Trust me, it sounds like a hassle but in reality it is very easy.

OP
Well, right or wrong, I went with Wiggle's advice. I ordered the Quark Tactical. I hope I'm smart enough to re-program it fast (and can remember how from week to week). I also ordered the prism. Clipping it in a front pocket, etc appeals to my idea of functionality A LOT.

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
I have both the regular and tactical and like both for different reasons. I use the tactical more though. I mainly use my light during the day, many times a day to check things so its easier to start on a daytime usable level. If I'm out in the dark, walking or camping, I prefer the regular for easy access to the low levels. I end up carrying both, the tactical on my belt and the regular tossed in the pocket. I ran it through the clothes dryer and totally ruined the finish so I have no guilt throwing it in my pocket with my other junk.

northslope

Newly Enlightened
OK, first question on my new Tactical

I want to use the prism a lot, thus I want to reverse the clip. I unscrewed the main body and turned it around. It reverses the clip but places it much further down on the light. In the photos on 4sevens.com (in the prism section) it shows the clip more centered. Am I doing something wrong? How do I reverse the clip correctly?

sigh

Newly Enlightened
The photos on 4sevens.com mostly show the prism with a Quark 123 which doesn't have the reversable clip.

To reverse the clip I just switch the head and tailcap, which it sounds like you are doing.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like the Zebralight UI, why didn't you consider the SC50?

Just curious.

--flatline

CampingMaster

Newly Enlightened

I love the use of 90° angle to, very useful for camping and emergency situations.

By clipping your flashlight on your body (belt, pocket, coat, etc.) you can free your both hands.

My solution is the use of Quark Prism as you see on these pictures :

4SevensQuarkPrism_800x536.jpg

As you can see, very small, light and easy to have with you somewhere like in a very small ZipLock that you can find in a DollarStore.

Resized1095_1.jpg

My Quark 123² witht the Quark Prism. Camping site in the backcountry june 2010.

Resized2121_1.jpg

An example how I use it. It replaces a head lamp in an emergency situation when you need booth hands.

UltimateCampingMaster

Last edited: