Surefire D3 LED conversion advice?

DARKSTAR 0844

Newly Enlightened
I have a SF D3 that i picked up for a great price and i want to convert it to LED. I have ZERO experience with modding lights. I want to convert it to an LED head with a high output, long throw drop in unit. Any ideas? links would be greatly appreciated.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Mike!

From what I know, the surefire D3 uses the standardized P60 Dropin!
you can just replace the little lamp assembly in there.. plug and play!
may I recommend you: malkoff dropins, nailbender dropins, or moddoo dropins?

throw is rather hard to achieve in such a small reflector though!

jslappa

Enlightened
I'm not going to give you links because I want you to do your research. But at the top of the page (directly to the Left of your screen name) type in all the keywords you see in the responses you get here. Just like was already said, you can use any drop-in that fits any P60 light like a 6P, 9P, C2, Z2, C3, Z3 etc. Some good keywords might be:

Nailbender P60
Malkoff M60
Malkoff M61
Moddoo dropin

If you are using 3 surefire batteries, you must be sure that the dropin can handle 9volts. If you want to use a dropin that only goes up to 8.4Volts, you'll either need to buy a dummy CR123, or use 2 x rechargeable 17500 batteries. You've got a TON of options for that light, and there is a TON of info to read up on. Have fun! Come back and tell us what you decided to do.

DARKSTAR 0844

Newly Enlightened
If i'm going to pack the extra length/weight of the longer body of this light, i want the advantages of the 3 123's. Will this limit avalibility of drop-in options?

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
will you be using rechargeable 123s, or standard primary 123s?
regardless, your offerings are more limited due to less dropins taking 9V (primary voltage) or (11.1V) rechargeable voltage.

make sure the dropin can take it!

there is, though, a standard surefire dropin you can use, called the P60L, 80 lumens, up to 9V?

there is a surefire complete replacement head called the KX4, 120 lumens.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
For either 3x CR123 (primaries) or 2x 17500 (rechargeables), your working voltage will be ~7.4 - 7.6 v under load.

Regarding rechargeable configurations, 2x17500's have considerably more stored energy than 3x RCR123 BTW, approximately 30% more total watt-hours for the same overall length.

IMO one of the best LED drop-ins for your light would be the Malkoff M61W.

I recently purchased this SF D3, and currently switch between 3x CR123 & 2x 17500 configurations. At the moment I have a cheapie LED drop-in in it, but will be selling it soon on CPF/MP and getting a Malkoff for it.

Enjoy your light, I think the D3's are pretty neat. :)
K

Last edited:

DARKSTAR 0844

Newly Enlightened
I just got a HDS clicky 170 lumen light, so i'm looking to equal that or better it. If that is even possible. I normally use 123 primaries, but i recently purchased some 123 rechargables that i am trying out.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a HDS clicky 170 lumen light, so i'm looking to equal that or better it. If that is even possible. I normally use 123 primaries, but i recently purchased some 123 rechargables that i am trying out.

Not only is 170 lumens possible, but you can get as much as 1000 real OTF lumens now from a P60 drop-in. This is real lumens not ebay, DX, or Kai lumens.

You want throw? up to 9k lux at 1 meter.
Flood?
or combo?

DARKSTAR 0844

Newly Enlightened
Not only is 170 lumens possible, but you can get as much as 1000 real OTF lumens now from a P60 drop-in. This is real lumens not ebay, DX, or Kai lumens.

You want throw? up to 9k lux at 1 meter.
Flood?
or combo?
Ok now my ears just perked up! The 250 lumen range is what i'm looking for with a long throw. Ideas?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok now my ears just perked up! The 250 lumen range is what i'm looking for with a long throw. Ideas?

You need to contact Nailbender and order:
  • XR-E R2
  • 1.3A driver 4V~14v inputs
  • Smooth Reflector
  • Ask to pot the module
This will get you 290~300 real out the front lumens. In the past we saw 230 OTF with similar set-ups and with orange peel reflectors still got 9k plus lux at 1 meter. So, in theory you will get alot more then 9k lux.

I think I just convinced myself to order one of these for testing:eek:

bigC

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need to contact Nailbender and order:
  • XR-E R2
  • 1.3A driver 4V~14v inputs
  • Smooth Reflector
  • Ask to pot the module
This will get you 290~300 real out the front lumens. In the past we saw 230 OTF with similar set-ups and with orange peel reflectors still got 9k plus lux at 1 meter. So, in theory you will get alot more then 9k lux.

I think I just convinced myself to order one of these for testing:eek:

bigC

Might as well have Nailbender call the above the "BigC" special much like the Linger special. :D

IDnightowl

Newly Enlightened
Will the above set up work for the SF M961XMO7??? I'm looking for a thrower in a LED for that light! I'd also like an upgraded head for my Cabeals Alaskan Guide model

Dustin

A total noooob!!! :sick2: