Tips for building 6C, 5W dual light

LED

Newly Enlightened
Gentlemen,/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

I am looking into building me a 6C dual light. I have a close friend who is willing to machine the body, head, end cape and heatsink for me.

At 9 volts I plan on running a U3U 5W emitter with a 5 Watt, .5 ohm resistor for the highest light level and a 1.5 ohm for the low, or can I do this with existing boards. If so, I am going to need help selecting the correct boards for this project.

Also, what is the best way to toggle from one resistor/board to the other? I would like for the lamp to only have one switch. Is this even possible?

This would be my dream light….

Regards and Thanks in advance,
David

jtice

Flashaholic
I have thought about similar projects.
You will need some sort of 3 way switch. The problem is, hot to mount the switch so it looks good, and its water tight.

I havent seen any good push button 3 way switches /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
They are all toggle switches.

jtice

Flashaholic
Tracker..
That is a nice light.

Are you wanting to run one 5W led off two different power setting?
Or. have a 5W led, plus another led, or leds to do the low setting?

Either way, the hard part, will be finding a switch like the light above has.

Once you are past the switch, it shouldn't be that tough. Just have it switch between the converter going to the 5W, and the resistor, or converter going the to smaller leds.

I only know about converter boards, such as the ones dat2zip has at the sandwich shop. I dont know much about the resisitors, such as the micro puck.

I think it would be great to have a custome light like this. Although, just running the 5W off 2 different power settings would be easier. Then you don't have the task of mounting the 5 or 6 5mm leds around the 5W.

LED

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
Tracker..
That is a nice light.

Are you wanting to run one 5W led off two different power setting?
Or. have a 5W led, plus another led, or leds to do the low setting?

[/ QUOTE ]

Jtice,

Yea, I only want to use one 5 Watt led. If I cannibalize the switch from the light like the one above it should be all that is needed.

I will first look for a switching/rotating relay, which may work better.

I'm hopping someone would shed some light on this for us.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Regards,
David

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
That light is a Nuwai AN-606 and is sold as a Xenergy and you can read a review of the light here . As to the battery that is offered by the E-Bay link it is probably a stack of 3 2/5A cells (other forum members, please feel free to jump in here as I don't normally deal with these cells). Good price by the way! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Dan