Beam artifact with 6P SMO & SS bezel ring.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dropped a P60 XP-G with SMO reflector into my 6P which has a non-crenelated SS bezel ring. I immediately noticed that the beam has a bright ring outside the edge of the normal spill. Not apparent up close, but at normal outdoor ranges it's really annoying.

I switched back to the stock 6P retaining ring and it's gone. I never noticed this when I had an OP with the XP-G.

Anyone else experience this?

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it is much more noticable with a Smooth reflector but still noticable with a OP reflector.

If you want a perfect spill beam, try a vintage 6P with the lexan lens with no retaining ring! The spill beam width is extra wide and has no artifacts at all!

I was so impressed, I sold off all my modern 6Ps.

James.......

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could be why Surefire uses black lens retainers. My brother has an original laser products 6P - I'll have to check it out.

My 6p beam is fine with the original plastic lens retainer, just doesn't look as nice. SS bezel ring works fine with my M60-G2 though.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
If you want a perfect spill beam, try a vintage 6P with the lexan lens with no retaining ring! The spill beam width is extra wide and has no artifacts at all! I was so impressed, I sold off all my modern 6Ps.
Excellent point. This makes me really look forward to getting my retro C2 back from Moddoo so I can use my triple in it. That's cool if I'll be getting a noticibly wider beam. :D

SFC2019.jpg

dhouseng

Newly Enlightened
I had that problem too and then I sanded the inner circle with sandpaper to make it look less glossy. Do it in a circular motion to prevent ugly scratch marks.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had that problem too and then I sanded the inner circle with sandpaper to make it look less glossy. Do it in a circular motion to prevent ugly scratch marks.

Hmmmm. Thanks for the tip - I may try it if I decide to stay with the SMO reflector. I have one more OP enroute to test.

dhouseng

Newly Enlightened
I did some experiment with both OP and SMO reflectors (both XPG reflectors), and found out both have the same amount of artifacts.
Don't know if your case would be different, good luck to you.