Which one??? (was: What's an SRTH SureFire Turbo Head)

rlhess

Enlightened
Which one??? (was: What\'s an SRTH SureFire Turbo Head)

I'm (easily) confused...

It has been suggested that after I put a HOLA in one 9P, a KL3 on a second 9P that I should put the SRTH TurboHead on the third 9P...since the E2 is an EDC light and the 9Ps are special purpose lights anyway...

I'm confused between the KT-2 turbohead that's on the SF Web site and the SRTH turbohead. The 2002 catalog PDF that I keep handy also didn't have an SRTH.

So where do I find an SRTH?

Thanks!

Richard

Catdaddy

Enlightened
Re: Which one??? (was: What\'s an SRTH SureFire Turbo Head)

I have them and the SRTH has a nighter beam shot abd is smaller. I like it much better actually. Surefire once made the SRTH under a different number then they sold them to Lagger for this special deal. The SRTH stands for Steve Ryan Turbo Head.
Steve is in charge of Customer relations for Surefire, I think.

For a while they were very hard to find, and the 3" is stil almost impossible to get. I have a couple of 3". I wiould sell one for a good price. I also have an extra SRTH 2.5" I can sell if you want.
John

rlhess

Enlightened

Thanks, now that I'm less confused, I don't know if I want the 2.5 inch or the 3 inch one. I have leads on both for good prices.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I read Brightnorm's thread and that was inconclusive. I'm tempted towards the smaller, more compact one at the expense of perhaps a little throw--or is it a lot of throw?

I know you'll all say BUY BOTH, but I really don't want to spend THAT kind of money right now. I'm afraid it's one or the other.

THANKS!

Richard

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a 3" TH that has a plastic spacer to make it focus optimally with an N2. I like it. I don't have any other TH's, but I'm told that the 3" with the N2 gives SF's tightest hot spot.

The glued-on spacer has to be removed to make the N62 focus into a considerably wider but not brighter hot spot.

The MN60 will not focus in this TH. It leaves a big peanut shaped hole in the center.

Others apparently don't have this compatability problem, although SF does apparently calibrate their TH inconsistencies with these plastic spacers glued to the base of the TH where the L/A Abuts the TH.

rlhess

Enlightened

Thanks, Lemlux!

Anyone else???

So far: private email "2.5 is more practical" and lemlux's message "I'm told the 3" with the N2 gives SF's tightest hot spot."

Cheers,

Richard

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Originally posted by rlhess:
....Any thoughts would be appreciated. I read Brightnorm's thread and that was inconclusive. I'm tempted towards the smaller, more compact one at the expense of perhaps a little throw--or is it a lot of throw? Richard
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Richard,

The very fact that my report was inconclusive speaks extremely well for the SRTH 2.5".The percentage points of difference you read in my report could have been moved a few points in either direction. Yes, you might get somewhat better performance from the 3-incher, but it won't be significant unless that particular 3" is a peach and the 2.5" is a dog.

I agree with your inclination to go with the smaller one. Use it with an N2 and I believe that you will not be disappointed. In fact, if you really don't like it and have any trouble returning it, I will buy it from you. (Deal's off if it's a lemon!)*** That 1/2" diameter difference (plus shorter length) makes the SRTH surprisingly svelte and much easier to carry around than the 3". In fact it fits perfectly into the new Stinger HP holster from Reeline (Ripoffs), available from Brightguy in either the clipon version (see below) or the belt loop model.

HOLSTER FOR D3 WITH SRTH TURBOHEAD

*** Yes, there may be subtle differences between supposedly identical turbos. The tiniest fraction of a millimeter will have a visible effect on an image magnified hundreds or even thousands of times (from filiment to several hundred feet). I've tried several SRTH's and the worst one was still darn good and very close in performance to the others.

If you are in a position to order two or three, just pick your favorite.

One brief story about this light:

I was visiting friends in an Ohio suburb this Summer, and naturally I brought an arsenal of lights (no problems with American Airlines) including the D3/SRTH/N2 combo with FRESH SF123's. We took an evening walk after dark. I had given them 2L's as a gift (I want all my friends to have at least one light and that one is a real winner).

I hadn't flashed Mr. SRTH yet, but they saw it in my hand, and as we walked toward the corner we heard the sounds of a live band. One of the neighbors was having a party, with lights and barbeques , the whole deal. We walked past the house toward a dark cul de sac with very tall old trees looming all around. I aimed the D3 at the further-most trees (estimated 120-150 feet, very rough estimate). Well--- They literally gasped " My God, how is that possible, such a little light, why it's like a big spotlight"..... etc etc. My friends are not given to hyperbole. They were simply blown away. What really got them was the amount of light coming from such a small source. Perhaps if it had been a big spotlight they might have been disappointed.

We returned the way we had come and as we walked past the party house on the opposite side of the street I very briefly flashed the light on a bush near the house, I would guess only a hundred or so feet, but that was through the party lights. A guest, standing near the curb saw the flash, turned around and saw me with the flashlight. He was drunk or high and friendly and wanted to try the light. His reaction: HOLY SH*T!! He couldn't get over it. High, drunk or not, that guy knew a real light when he saw one. He reluctantly returned it and we continued on our way.

This story doesn't prove anything, but it does suggest that this little light is something special. Now, if only those batteries would last longer..........

Brightnorm

Rifter

Enlightened

I just got a KT2 and am very happy with it, as long as you use the N2 and get a good one you should be fine, i was dissapointed with the MN16 and would reccomend staying with the N2. This thing adds so much throw my friends all went nuts when i was showing it off last night.

rlhess

Enlightened

Thanks, Brightnorm and Rifter.

I ordered the 2.5 inch SRTH turbohead with N2 lamp.

So now my "special general purpose lights" HA! are three SF 9Ps
--one 20 min run time with 200lm HOLA
--one 1 hr run time with Turbo head
--one 7.5 hr run time with KL3 should it
ever arrive!

Cheers,

Richard

Rifter

Enlightened

Sounds like you will be set, you could pick up a M2 bezel pretty cheap to add Shock isolation and Pyrex to the 9P with the P91. Cause that P91 WILL burn through the Lexan if left on for too long with no ventalation, like in its opuch,pocket, etc.