Nitecore D10 Tritium Delimma

Razorhog

Newly Enlightened
I am probably going to by a Nitecore D10 SP R2 as my first "good" flashlight. I can only seem to find the Camo version of the light with a trit slot. If I got the black version without a trit slot, is there a way to still put a trit(s) on the light, without machining the piston or getting a new piston?
If I end up getting a D10 without the trit slot, is there another location on the light were folks have put a trit? I plan on getting the pocket clip - maybe there somehow?

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pugga's your man for piston slot mods. Send him a PM and see what he can do. He has a thread titled "EX10..." going on CPF Marketplace right now that showcases some of his recent work.

Getting the piston machined yourself isn't too hard either if you have a company in town that can do it. If I recall, the slot is 8mm long x 2mm wide x 3mm deep (but confirm those dimensions with Pugga).

Wouldn't recommend putting a trit in the clip, go with the piston.

AAROSOL

Newly Enlightened
Also, once in a blue moon, somebody will post a slotted piston up for sale, some with trits already installed, some not. I paid more than $50 for a slotted piston with a trit already installed. That's more than I paid for my actual D10, but seeing how rare they come by in the marketplace, I grabbed it. (I've seen them for sale as low as $35 slotted and tritted.) Good luck!

Razorhog

Newly Enlightened
Looks like I'll be going with the camo version and putting in a trit myself. Cheapest I've seen that light is $55 on eBay, plus about $15 for a trit, some super glue and I'm set.

Nokoff

Enlightened
why don't you like the camo, camo is big this year :)
If you find a tribute edition for sale, they're slotted and solid colored, hybrid UI tho
I'm picking up a slotted camo tomorrow, can't wait

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like I'll be going with the camo version and putting in a trit myself. Cheapest I've seen that light is $55 on eBay, plus about $15 for a trit, some super glue and I'm set.

I'm not sure that super glue is a good option to install a trit. If it stays clear after curing and isn't sticky anymore, it could be used however.

Clear Nailpolish is an option, but beware of what it looks like after curing, most are yellowish.

Best thing is Norland 61, that stuff is liquid as water (nearly...), just as clear after curing and it gets really hard as it is an epoxy in fact. Thast stuff isn't cheap however, you may find some small quantities offered on the Marketplace, still rather expensive for one single trit.

A good option is to have a look on the marketplace for a complete light with a trit installed, they show up rather often these times! :wave:

Razorhog

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure that super glue is a good option to install a trit. If it stays clear after curing and isn't sticky anymore, it could be used however.

Clear Nailpolish is an option, but beware of what it looks like after curing, most are yellowish.

Best thing is Norland 61, that stuff is liquid as water (nearly...), just as clear after curing and it gets really hard as it is an epoxy in fact. Thast stuff isn't cheap however, you may find some small quantities offered on the Marketplace, still rather expensive for one single trit.

A good option is to have a look on the marketplace for a complete light with a trit installed, they show up rather often these times! :wave:
Thanks for the info - I've got some super glue that dries clear and will probably try that. First things first, I need to get a flashlight and trit!

Razorhog

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered a D10 Camo, woot!

Why do I feel as though I am on the precipice of a very slippery slope..... :eek:

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
You've heard Hotel California? That's CPF. Enjoy your stay! :D

maskman

Newly Enlightened
An excellant hyperbole IMO. "Relax, said the night man, We are programmed to receive. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave." I love it.

You've heard Hotel California? That's CPF. Enjoy your stay! :D

Razorhog

Newly Enlightened
Green trit is here and some Norland 61 on the way! Now to figure out the best method of installation...

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shame the slotted pistons are hard to come by. I'm glad I grabbed mine when I did. Good luck with the installation! Post pics if you can when you're done. :)

One of mine:

Razorhog

Newly Enlightened
Shame the slotted pistons are hard to come by. I'm glad I grabbed mine when I did. Good luck with the installation! Post pics if you can when you're done. :)

One of mine:

Looks great! I'll try to post a pic too.

Razorhog

Newly Enlightened
Here is the light, pre trit installation. Hope to do the install this afternoon.

4903559742_4a5bb64245_z.jpg

Razorhog

Newly Enlightened
Got it put in, the Norland 61 worked great! These pics are taken with my iPhone and don't do it justice.

4942929107_6050c26de4.jpg

4943516852_726f8d12fd.jpg