hello from Canada, 6 cell maglight build

wayfasterthanyou

Newly Enlightened
I used to think I was the only guy who was nuts over flashlights, but WOW was I wrong!
I have been a fan of the handheld light since I was a young boy and often found myself with a stash of them ready for any type of event that light was needed.

I ask for any kind of flashlight for gifts and no matter what light I receive I get that feeling like I did when I was 5.

so after reading about HID lights and thinking that I would be the only guy that would build one out of parts I see they can be bought at a store.....

so here I am with an old 6 cell maglight ready for some guts to light up the night sky.

I can get 28 aa's in this housing with no problem so with that what would you suggest??

I know the reflector and plastic lens will need to be replaced and I will mention I am very good with a soldering iron so wiring and understanding of electronics is not a problem.

links to parts would be great .

thanks

shayne

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
Greetings from the west coast! :welcome:

Are you looking for a high-powered LED light, a ridiculously bright incandescent setup, or something with a good balance of output and runtime? Also, if you know what your budget is, that would help. :)

mrartillery

Enlightened
Also, if you know what your budget is, that would help.

That is probably the most important question.:crackup: He makes a good point too, how much output are you looking to get out of it? Since you say you are wanting to run 28 aa's then I assume you are wanting to use a super bulb like a Osram. But a more cost efficient setup would be to go with 7 IMR 26500's, not to mention a lot less weight. Check out my 6 D in my signature, that should give you some inspiration. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

junglewarrior

Newly Enlightened
This should turn into a good thread. Theres someone on here with a 6D thats an absolute beast. Go insane with the build. When my knowledge increases and skill with soldering i'll be doing something similar...