Surefire E2D VS Fenix PD30

stoli67

Enlightened
Surefire is quotes as having an output of 200 Lumens while the fenix 265 lumens. Are these real figures.....is the fenix that much brighter?

Is there a way to modify the surefire up to close to 300 by putting in a drop-in?

Can anyone help

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire uses OTF (Out The Front) lumens while Fenix uses OTE (Off the Emitter). Out the front is the true lumens of a flashlight's output as it takes into account things like small loss of light through the lens or off the reflector. Surefire is also known to under rate their lumen output like the 200lm E2DL is closer to 240-250lm. The Fenix PD30 R4 is ~235-250lm. One thing is certain the beams of these two light's are totally different, the E2DL uses the TIR optic which is mainly for throw while the PD30 R4 uses a traditional reflector along with the XPG-R4 which makes more of a flood light with medium to close range throw.

You can't simply buy a drop-in for the E2DL, it was not made for this purpose but you can have it modded by members here on CPF. If you want to buy a Surefire that has a replaceable drop-in module look at the 6P,C2,Z2.

Have a look at this thread linked below and you can get an idea of different true OTF output with various stock models as well as drop-ins and custom lights.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/260659

stoli67

Enlightened
So on that link it looks like a P6 can be modified to put out over 1000 lumens... interesting.

I do like the E2D format though... Is there someone in particular that you were thinking of who does modifications on these?

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have the budget then difinetly go with the surefire E2DL all the way. Not that the PD30 is a bad light, but I think it's really outclassed when put up against the E2DL. The surefire warranty and customer service alone is worth the price diffrence. Ultimately, the choice comes down to what you want, and I'll think you're be happy with either light, but I still reccomend the E2DL. Good luck:)

Imon

Enlightened
+1 on the Surefire E2D

I love the TIR optics on my SF E2L. It's my primary use outdoors flashlight and will throw further than most lights with twice the output. Also, the spill beam isn't too bad either, in case you need it for close up work.

carrot

Flashaholic
So on that link it looks like a P6 can be modified to put out over 1000 lumens... interesting.

I do like the E2D format though... Is there someone in particular that you were thinking of who does modifications on these?
Milkyspit is the most commonly referred to who can mod the E2DL but there are lots of others who offer it as a service. DarkZero, and Tekno Cowboy come to mind.

A cheaper solution is to buy an E2C adaptor and a Surefire Z44 bezel. Then you may use any P60-style drop-in. Or you can get a Malkoff VME adaptor and a Malkoff M-series drop-in.

stoli67

Enlightened
I have been doing a little more research re Surefire lights.... their sizes all seem pretty similar... E2D, 6P, A2L, Lx2... all 2 CR123 format off the bat... any suggestions as to which I should get first? I am sure that I will end up with all of them like i did with Fenix!

carrot

Flashaholic
E-series is slimmest, then A-series (A2, LX2, etc), then C-series (6P, C2, etc). Both E-series and A-series are excellent sizes for EDC and C-series is a good size for a workhorse (when you will be using the light more than you carry it).

stoli67

Enlightened
Is it correct that the U2 produces only 6-120 lumens..... I am still a little thrown off by the surefire lumen ratings.. I know that Fenix over estimates theirs but the TA21 is rated at the emmitor at 195 and the TK11 285 I think. Even the little PD30 is 265! I still am trying to get my head around spenfing $300 Australian dollars on a torch that produces less than 200...

carrot

Flashaholic
The U2 is a very old model that has not been updated to keep up with modern times as much as it deserves to have been. The U2A (latest edition) uses a Seoul P4 and it is somewhat underdriven to increase the life of the LED and the runtime of the flashlight. With a Cree MC-E or a Luminous SST-50 it could be a real barnburner like it used to be (when 100 lumens was a lot), but Surefire has not seen fit to update it yet.

stoli67

Enlightened
Perhaps is hould just get an LX2 and be done with it ... 200 lumens.... sure hope it really is brighter than my PD30!

ASheep

Enlightened
Perhaps is hould just get an LX2 and be done with it ... 200 lumens.... sure hope it really is brighter than my PD30!

Does it have to be brighter than the PD30? At 200 lumens, you have enough light for almost all everyday tasks... Brightness isn't everything.
The LX2 is a high quality light, I hate to sound cliché but you can truly feel the quality of a Surefire. The light is designed for use, not paper comparison and white wall hunting.

Sorry if I come across as scathing, it's not how I meant to sound. Enjoy the light mate!

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

Go ahead with no remorse it is one of the top flashlight in the world. If you want a clicky get the E2DL but if you want a twisty get the LX2, the beams are identical. Just realize these models use the TIR optic and it is designed for throw with a touch of useful spill, like I said earlier the PD30 R4 and E2DL/LX2 are two opposite types of beams. The PD30 XPG R4 is mostly a flood light with short to medium range throw. Their is also the PD30 XP-E R2 that will give you more throw than the R4, but the R2 has dimmer spill.

stoli67

Enlightened
Thanks for all your advice ... the LX2 has been ordered. I am also thinking about a P6 with a M61 drop in.... but then I saw another Nitecore that I liked (defender infinity) .... it never stops!

tabs

Newly Enlightened
I have both the ED2 LED and PD30, and although I'm not an expert, I have to agree with the posters here, E2D LED does outclass the PD30. But of course, if you have the budget. =)

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have owned the e2dl and still have a pd30 r2. The e2dl is a nice light..but I would still take the pd30 over it for 2 reasons. One, I hate the e2dl's clip. Secondly, the sharp edges of the e2dl's bezel are not great for self defense, but do do a great job of destroying pockets. And sure, i could of kept the light and had the bezel ground down...or bought another head...but thats why i like the Fenix. Unlike most SF lights (LX1 excluded...I have never had this light, but it looks great) It does not require modding to reach its potential.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have owned the e2dl and still have a pd30 r2. The e2dl is a nice light..but I would still take the pd30 over it for 2 reasons. One, I hate the e2dl's clip. Secondly, the sharp edges of the e2dl's bezel are not great for self defense, but do do a great job of destroying pockets. And sure, i could of kept the light and had the bezel ground down...or bought another head...but thats why i like the Fenix. Unlike most SF lights (LX1 excluded...I have never had this light, but it looks great) It does not require modding to reach its potential.

Even though the E2DL is made of better quality I have to agree, as a EDC light the PD30 is a classic in my book and I pick it up far more often for EDC than I do my E2DL (they stand side by side on my "carry" shelf).

Your right it is smaller and easier to carry and the multiple brightness levels are great, especially the lower low of the PD30 R4. Their is no denying the E2DL as one of the greatest light's for it's purpose and if the SHTF it would be at the top of my list to snatch up but you may just find more purposes to carry the PD30, their is still nothing better IMO than carrying either the R2 or R4 PD30 in the old topless PD30 holster it's quick easy and small.