TiCN vs. AlTiN

ipreferpie

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, I just recently received Modamag's awesome Draco. However, I have a very newbie question, since this is my first time owning a premium flashlight. There were some inconsistencies between what I ordered vs what I got (like difference tritium tube, Draco instead of Drake) so I don't know what finish I actually got.

For some reason, I cannot tell the difference between TiCN and AlTiN. I've seen the photos on the forums showing the comparison, but in real life, I have nothing to compare to. Both are dark and have a shiny surface. When I look at mine, it can can look like either coating depending on the lighting.

So my question is: is there a way to really know which coating I got? Sorry for the beginner question: any help would be really great!

Cesiumsponge

Newly Enlightened
You should be able to google up comparisons between the coatings in one photo from tooling manufacturers. In my experience, TiAlN tends to be a dark blue purplish. TiCN tends to vary a lot more and its usually lighter and ranges from light blue to a pinkish hue. It might vary a lot more for cosmetic applications but all the endmills I deal with seem to hold to the above general descriptions.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I know this thread is really old, but having had an AlTiN Draco and still wearing a TiCN Draco, thought I'd go ahead and post a belated answer. The AlTiN appears pretty black, although I understand it can sometimes appear to be a very dark purple. TiCN has for me been varying shades of grey and unless compared to something black, can appear to be black itself. It's my favorite coating, although the AlTiN was the most popular.