Anyway to tell if Surefire x400 is 110 lumen verse 170 lumen

magudaman

Newly Enlightened
I just got a brand new Surefire X400 and was told it was a new model made in June and puts out 170 lumens. But I can't seem to verify that is really is the new model. It didn't come in the Bubble package that I have seen else where and has a Serial number starting in A. I think this guy is ripping people off. Any ideas? Do I just call surefire tomorrow?

magudaman

Newly Enlightened
Well I talked to surefire and basically there is no way to tell. This make me further believe that this is just a paper change and not really brighter. It is pretty sad, no serial number difference, they sent quite a few using the old packaging with wrong/old 110 lumen manuals, and there are no different model numbers or markings. I've since returned mine and will be purchasing one that is in the blister packaging that actually states 170 lumens on the outside but still internally will have no different markings.

Looks like everyone should buy 110 lumen ones and resell as 170 :sigh:

Lame not what I would expect from surefire...

Illum

Flashaholic
Would it really matter that much?:poke:

lumen ratings are done in a controlled environment, its probably not likely that you'll know the difference in use, especially if the rating was changed without altering production design.

magudaman

Newly Enlightened
Well I think a 50% increase In brightness is fairly significant. I know most people on this forum would pay extra for something that is 50% brighter. Just doing something as simple as a ceiling bounce test or illuminating a distant object it easy to see the difference in brightness of the same manufacture. Find it hard to believe u could see that, as long as it not just a paper/testing difference.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
The way in which they now rate their lights has changed, not the light itself.

Perhaps they have later bins now etc however you will find that there probably won't be a significant noticeable difference in output.

Last edited:

c0t0d0s0

Enlightened
I measured the X400 light i bought a couple of months ago and it was right at 250 lumens for the first 10 seconds, then down to 220 or so. I don't care what the box says, really.

PS Mine came in a box and had a serial number starting with A. Perhaps an older model?
PPS I got rid of it since i found the brightness excessive for the intended purpose (pistol light). It would be right at home on a AR-15 though.

Last edited: