Elzetta High/Low Switch

Reaper

Enlightened
Has anyone tried the Elzetta high/low switch in a Surefire 6P? If so, how would you rate it? Having a switch in a 6P seems easier to access than say, the high/low ring in a MD2.

jellydonut

Enlightened
Hello,

I have not tried it on a 6P but I have tried it on my 6P tailcap compatible Malkoff bodies.

The threads are correct, but the switch stops short of the o-ring on the body.:shakehead I'm gonna need to manufacture some spacers. I'll take pictures when I get back home later today if there is any interest.

The switch works the same way as the Malkoff hi-low switch except in the tail. To me there's no difference but I guess that's individual preference.

red02

Enlightened
Very interested here. Sounds like a great idea. I've been looking for a completed switch like this for a while now. Is it safe to say this a resistored tailcap?

Could you try it on the 6P? if its 6P compatible is it safe to say the Z2 will take it as well? Will it make electrical contact on a G-series?

Can it be bought separately? As much as I want a high - low switch paying 150 for one is out of the question.

Reaper

Enlightened
Just received word form Elzetta and they said that it is 6P compatible. The price for the switch is roughly $55.00 and I would have to give serious thoughts before getting this. Is the cost worth the ease of operation? To me, maybe?

According to jellydonut (thank you) it is not an exact fit but it might be different on an actual 6P body. I just don't want to spend this amount of money on a switch that has to be modified slightly. I'm a "better fit the first time" kind of guy. We'll see.

jellydonut

Enlightened
Just received word form Elzetta and they said that it is 6P compatible. The price for the switch is roughly $55.00 and I would have to give serious thoughts before getting this. Is the cost worth the ease of operation? To me, maybe?

According to jellydonut (thank you) it is not an exact fit but it might be different on an actual 6P body. I just don't want to spend this amount of money on a switch that has to be modified slightly. I'm a "better fit the first time" kind of guy. We'll see.
Well, yeah, that's the thing - I only have Malkoff system compatible bodies and heads. I don't know which of the two are incompatible seeing as they both profess to be 6P compatible. :crazy: Maybe those that have both Malkoff and Surefire parts to lego can tell more first-hand.

I uploaded some photos in case they will tell you anything more;

http://img412.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img1283o.jpg

Aside from not actually being long enough the hi/low function works just great and the clicky switch is nice - it is different from the Malkoffs in that it is a 'silent' clicky, but its still nice and satisfying to click on.:candle:

And yeah, for those with Malkoffs that have hi/low switches already this switch adds a 'low-low' level which is surprisingly usable.:grin2:

Reaper

Enlightened
The Malkoff ring is fine in use except for the fact that it loosens up which is why I thought about the Elzetta switch. I've thought about really tightening down on the ring but I'm afraid of doing some damage somewhere to something. I'm a great believer in Murphy's Law and if something is going to happen, it's going to happen to me.

If the switch body stops short of the o-ring then water integrity is compromised wouldn't it?

Guess I'll either continue to tighten the Malkoff ring every now and then, go back to the original single mode ring or take a chance and order the Elzetta switch in the hopes that a 6P body fits better.

jellydonut

Enlightened
It loosens up? I have that problem some times with the standard aluminium ring - what I do to solve it is tighten it down fairly well without torquing it too much (it does have a rubber gasket at the front that one has to tighten down on) and then leave the light on a while to heat it up. After it's been on a while i unscrew the head again and recheck, but it's usually still tight. If I do this, I have no issues, if I don't and just disassemble/reassemble, the ring is pretty much always going to work itself loose.

I still haven't been able to acquire any of the actual brass hi/low switch rings though (my only experience with them is the similar device mounted in the Hound Dog and Wildcat heads) so I don't know if it would work the same.

JJay03

Newly Enlightened
I had the same issue with my md2. I would also like to see the elzetta tail cap on a 6p cause if it fits good I will order one now.