NiteCore EZ AA R5 Review - A Layman's Perspective

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
NiteCore EZ AA R5

NiteCore has released their first major revision to the EZ line with their new EZ AA R5 flashlight. Instead of just the usual emitter and aesthetics upgrades, this new model introduces drastic changes to the UI. The question remains, just how well does it honor the EZ name?

NiteCore EZ AA R5

Meat and Potatoes

Previously, the entire EZ line was built around a simple to learn and simple to operate 2 mode twisty user interface. Twist a little for low, twist more for more light. Honestly, it's about as simple as it can get. NiteCore's new concept however opts for drastic changes. The new EZ AA R5 is actually best categorized as a single mode programmable light. The basic twist is simply an on/off function, activating the previously memorized output level. In order to change that level, simply switch the light off and back on immediately and it will enter the programming mode where it slowly ramps up from minimum to maximum (about 4 seconds), with indicator blinks at 50 and 100%. You pick your level by turning the light off and you're good to go. The fact that it always ramps from minimum can make it a little difficult to adjust the light by strictly a small increment, but I haven't found this to be too large a detriment.

Not only has the UI been revised, but the body has a new look as well. The changes here are definitely not as broad and sweeping as they are electronically, but definitely visible none the less. Gone are the brass threading ring and the tripod mounting hole. Yet surprisingly these removals offer no reduction in overall dimensions. The new EZ AA is actually marginally larger than its predecessor. It's not really enough to notice when you are carrying it, but the difference is definitely noticeable during direct comparison.

EZ AA Comparison

The combination of the R5 bin XP-G emitter and the narrow, textured reflector produces a very wide angle flood beam with a bright enough corona and spillbeam that the hotspot is almost undefined. This type of floody light I have found to be extremely useful for every day carry type general illumination. It has quickly become my preference for simply navigating a dark corridor, finding the dropped pen under the desk, or reading jumper configurations inside a computer. The lack of a super tightly focused hotspot doesn't give you tunnel vision and ends up being a far more useful beam for the short to mid distances. Having up to 160 lumens on hand gives a little distance capabilities through sheer power, but this light is not remotely a thrower.

XP-G R5

Constructive Criticism

The user interface of this light is a unique one at least. I am not certain however it really fits the original concept of the EZ series well. While a single mode twisty definitely qualifies as "EZ to use" I have found that it isn't nearly as self explanatory as its initial namesake. Before, a simple "Twist for on, twist more for high" was all it took to explain the lights operation. You could loan it with ease or give it as a gift to anyone expecting them to remember how to use it. Even without the introduction, most people would have it figured out within seconds. The new ramping UI however takes a little more instruction and memory to use. If you try to loan it out without that instruction, it is not only possible, but apparently probable that they will accidentally access the programming mode and, in my experience, usually reprogram it to minimum output.

One of the main reasons that the programming mode is so easily activated is a result of loose threading between the head and the body of the light. Even though these are thicker squared off threads similar to what is found on other manufacturers, they seem to have quite a bit of slop that allows you to accidentally activate the light multiple times when you are turning it on, or even if you just don't have it off far enough. An annoyance to say the least.

NiteCore EZ AA R5

The anodizing on this new EZ AA is a very nice gunmetal grey that I haven't personally seen from NiteCore before. It is very uniform in color through the whole light, but I am a little concerned about its durability. Barely a week into carrying it and I am just starting to see a few bright spots of aluminum showing through the coating, at least on some of the sharp edges in the knurling. In the long run, I don't find this to be a serious problem because I consider it to be more of a patina of faithful service. However, if you are really hoping to keep the light pristine, it may be more of an issue to you.

Conclusions

A tiny AA powered light that still packs a decent punch and has a fantastic flood beam. Add in the customizable output and the EZ AA is a solid light by any reckoning. Its more advanced UI makes me personally believe it doesn't really fit the EZ line. I think it fits better as a light for enthusiasts, than a light for the masses.

NiteCore EZ AA R5

Provided for review by the kind folks at NiteCore.

etherealshade

Enlightened
Great review. I've got a 2nd generation warm EZAA. I love the old twist UI. This new one holds no interest for me, and I miss the brass; I thought it was a very visually appealing touch. :shrug:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very well put together. Couldn't agree more.

Personally, I have mixed feelings about this light. :crazy:

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very well put together. Couldn't agree more.

Personally, I have mixed feelings about this light. :crazy:
Yeah, that's where I am also. I don't think it's really the "EZ" light it was. I also am quite disappointed in the loose threading.

Other than those things however, I kind of like it. The beam is incredible!

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also am quite disappointed in the loose threading.

If I look on the bright side (pardon the pun), the loose threading allows me to activate momentary by pressing on the tail.... try it. :laughing:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been looking forward to your review and thanks for doing it.I have recently bought a 2nd generation warm EZAA and in a love/hate relationship with it, in other words like it one day but hate it the next but wow for ceiling bounce on high.
Thanks again.

iqwozpoom

Newly Enlightened
This makes me yearn for an ez aa tac. Single level programable with forward push button. Anyone know of a light that does that?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
This makes me yearn for an ez aa tac. Single level programable with forward push button. Anyone know of a light that does that?

The LiteFlux lights could be set up to be single level, or up to five levels. The electronic switch functions like a forward clickie.

Geoff

toughCookie

Newly Enlightened
Great review. Seems like the Quark Mini AA may have an upper hand for simplicity. IF only this EZ AA R5 had an option to double tab the base to enter max brightness mode....that would be cool:D

I received my "updated" EZ-AA. The threading seems fine; smoothe, no play; no accidental entry into programming mode. Perhaps there is a quality control issue, allowing some manufacturing runs to stutter their way into program mode???

Incidentalist

Enlightened

The iTP C7T is exactly what you want. At this point, they are a couple of years old and the emitter is outdated. That said, I still find mine one the most useful lights I own and I definitely love the UI.

Click on and if you want to adjust the output you loosen the head. Once loosened it will start ramping, once it is at the desired level you simply tighten the head and that level is set. Need to ramp the other way? Simply loosen the head again and it starts ramping in the reverse direction.

I had one of these on my nightstand for about a year, but it now resides in my wifes' nightstand.

Back on topic. Thanks for the review! I am still undecided if I want to pick one of these up. The ano definitely looks JetBeamish to me. That would make sense if the rumors that JetBeam bought out Nitecore is true.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received mine this morning: no play between head and body, the action is smooth but firm. :cool:

A nice floody beam, let me use it for a few days before passing judgement. ;)

iqwozpoom

Newly Enlightened
Same here. The only thing keeping me back is a neutral option and possible thread play. My mini aa tends to jump modes. Not a big deal, but on this ui it would defeat the purpose (hence the desire to include a clicky). Neck and neck with the jb bk135a and the d11 running a close third.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I pounced last night... at just $35 it wasn't a difficult "click" to make. Looking forward to getting this!

BK135A may follow... if it's not too spot oriented. Don't need another thrower. I like the finish!

D11, probably not.

I just ordered a second (back-up) D10 R2 while I still could.... just LOVE that light!

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
DHart... where did you find the NiteCore EZAA R5 for $35?

tacticalleds.com

I returned mine, because it had less output than I expected and was just slightly ringy. There may have been nothing wrong with the one I got and these aren't necessarily "problems", but the light just didn't thrill me like I hoped it would... so I returned it.

Last edited:

Starchaser

Newly Enlightened
tacticalleds.com

I returned mine, because it had less output than I expected and was just slightly ringy. There may have been nothing wrong with the one I got and these aren't necessarily "problems", but the light just didn't thrill me like I hoped it would... so I returned it.

Thanks DHart... does Tactical Leds give a CPF discount?