SureFire 8ax: capable of taking recoil? Or any rechargeable weaponlights?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

There are numerous companies around that make budget light mounts for AR style rifles that allow you to use any light you desire. I'm interested in getting one of these and using it to mount my 8AX to my M4 carbine. I know that the 8AX isn't technically a weapon light, however, so I want to know if you think it can take the shock from the recoil of the weapon.

Keep in mind that the M4 has a very mild recoil, but it's still recoil nonetheless and I don't want to destroy the lamp assembly inside my 8AX...

put in your two cents

(By the way, I want to use my 8AX rather than one of the weaponlights because it is rechargeable. I don't want to plunk down money on batteries but I want to spend a lot of time training. My 8AX would allow me to do as much as I wanted without spending a penny. If there's a rechargeable weaponlight out there, tell me about it!)

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Ok, what about the Stinger XT?
Could it take the recoil?

Blikbok

Enlightened
The "Classic" series weaponlights have a (edit)Z32 shock-isolated bezel. This is the only part I think is different between an standard light and the Millenium and weaponlights. The 8AX, AFAIK, does not have a shock-isolated bezel. The only risk you run is breaking the bulb and requiring a light-assembly replacement.

I've dropped an old 6Z often, and anytime it was a hard surface, the bulb died.

The classic weaponlights have an adaptor available which lengthens them from 2-Lithium cells to one B65 nicad stick. This has the advantage of converting back to Lithium on demand.

Lagger Pro has a good selection of accessories at:
http://www.lagger-pro.com/acctl.htm

http://www.lagger-pro.com/Adpaters.jpg is a diagram of the various weaponlight parts. I think the A13 is the part in question.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt that either one would have much problem but the Stinger bulb will be alot less money to replace. The main reason that rechargables are not found as weapon lights is because when you need the weapon quick you can depend on a rechargable to have good full capacity as with a lithium with a storage life of 10 years as compared to a recharable of about 10 days.

Blikbok

Enlightened
Bushman: normally, I'd disagree, but that's not the issue. TOTC wants to try an existing light on his weapon to test it's usefulness. The existing light is cheap, and it's rechargeable.

TOTC, what mount and switching system are you going to use?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the input. I was thinking of using some of the mounting hardware that GG&G carries: www.gggaz.com

I was either looking at using the D&D mount or the offset mount.

I hear what you're saying about the 8AX not being at the ready in the same way a lithium model is, but I thought that the Stinger XT was much better in this regard. I've been reading around here and a lot of people seem to be saying that SureFire should leave the rechargeable business to Streamlight.

Blackbeagle

Newly Enlightened
If I'm not mistaken, I heard that supposedly the rechargeable battery packs are also shock isolated by putting spacers between the cells to prevent the top ? bump, nipple, ?? ? of one cell from caving in the flat bottom of the next cell.

Also, I believe that Surefire has more tail switch options than Streamlight.