SL ProPoly 4AA on Lithiums?

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before I go and possibly do damage my new SL ProPoly 4AA 7-LED light, can anyone tell me if I can use 4 lithium (L91?)AA batteries in it? I didn't notice any info on the packaging (and now it's gone in the trash). I know you can use lithium AA's in the Reactor 2 but you can't in the Reactor 3. I'm guessing it would make a huge difference in this light, if the leds could hold up to the voltage.
Thanks in advance--

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SL ProPloy 4AA on Lithiums?

I believe that the Propoly 4AA LED is already quite overdriven, and I believe that another CPF member destroyed this light with lithiums, so it is probably not a good idea.

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast

The instructions say, "Use only Alkaline Batteries." I also would like to know if you can use Lithiums.

Has anyone tried it?

pilot4x4

Enlightened

The Propoly 4AA I recently purchased ran too hot on alkalines and did some minor damage to the reflector and body of the module as a result of the high temperatures. Based on that I'd advise against trying the lithiums. However try doing a search about using lithiums with that light. It seems that some have had good results running three lithiums and a spacer. John

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast

My Propoly 2AA incandescent bulb flashbulbed on 2 lithiums. I don't think SL generallyputs much voltage tolerance margin in its lights.

The sole exception seems to be the SL-35X LA rated for 100 hours with 5 NiCads that runs well and brighter on 6 rechargeables. T

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
What would happen if you mixed some lithium aa's with some alky aa's. Like 3 alky and 1 lithium just to give it a little extra voltage boost? Can this be done, or will the different batteries have a reaction and leak or something?

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second Pi is blue's recommendation of never mixing battery types.

Most battery packages say please do not mix batteries with different battery types, brands, or sizes.

Who knows it might work, but I highly doubt it, sounds dangerous too.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
And I third Pi's recommendation to not mix battery types.
And you probably shouldn't put all lithiums in a SL ProPoly 4AA, or you might let all the magic smoke out of the LEDs and/or the resistors; and the flashlight will stop working if that happens.

It might even catch on fire, but I don't know that for sure because I've never put lithiums in mine.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, I see a trend here. Well it looks like I'll keep it to alkys. Thanks for the advice guys.

pilot4x4

Enlightened
I've been running my light on some NIMH to see how it does. It doesn't get as hot initially but the brightness is still very good. The run time isn't good though. It stays fairly bright and then around 2 1/2 hours of use it drops off fairly rapidly to a light output that is approx. 1 1/2 times the brightness of my Ultra-G. It seems to stay at the level for a while. That's using Energizer 2100 NIMH. John

hideo

Enlightened
mine gets quite toasty on NiMHs--if you pull the head after about 20 minutes, you can smell the board (or flux or something) outgassing

hideo

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, they do seem to be a bit overdriven. I have version #2 (?) with the big resistor on the back of the LED board. It has been run with fresh energisers for HOURS several times, (plumbing problem) I think I'm on the third set of batts. I usually change batteries about every 6 hours or so ( I have a lot of energisers). I have been waiting for something horrible to happen, but, alas, the reflector is still there, no dead LED's, and it's the best damn work light I've ever had.

I have brighter, longer throw, etc., but this one is just plain useful.

pilot4x4

Enlightened
Mine is the latest version I guess??? It's got a 22 ohm resistor between each LED, no big resistor. I posted last week about the problems I had with it getting too hot. I'm still trying to get a replacement but the store where I got it won't have more for a few weeks at least. The light still works now though it's just the reflector is a little damaged and the adhesive (epoxy?) that holds the module to the piece with the battery contacts started melting because it got so hot. I called Streamlight and talked to Jeanne. She told me they will repair if I want to send it to a repair center but I'd prefer to trade it for a new one since it happened with less than 45 minutes of use on the light and on the same day I bought it. Anyway while talking to her I mentioned the heat problems people had encountered on this forum and she said to her knowledge Streamlight has never heard of any problems like that and they have made no revisions to the light except for changing the switch design. I guess I didn't get with someone that really knows about the problems. She's in sales and that was who they said I need to talk with about the problem. It's a great light though and really bright, I hope I can get a new one soon that doesn't have the problems this one does. John

paulr

Flashaholic
If you want to use lithiums, I'd switch those 22 ohm resistors to higher ones. But I don't really see why you want to do that. If you want more brightness, get a Luxeon light. If you want regulated output, get an Opalec. If you want more runtime, get a 3 or 4 led light.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received an SL Propoly 7 LED from a fellow CPFer in a trade, and am currently running it on 3 lithium AA's and a dummy cell at his recommendation. VERY bright with 3 lithium AA's...doesn't over-heat, is extremely lightweight, and blows my Inova X5 away! I know we're talking 7 LEDs vs. 5 LEDs, but with only 2 LEDs more, my SL Propoly 7 LED appears to be damn near TWICE as bright as my Inova! NICE light!!!

PJD

Rex01

Newly Enlightened
I talked to Streamlight about using lithium AAs in their 4AA ProPoly. An engineer there told me that they don't recommend using lithiums in any of their alkaline-designed flashlights, because it "tends to drastically shorten bulb life and smoke the LEDs."

-Rex

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once again, 3 lithium AA's will NOT hurt the SL 7 LED, and output is VERY flat. I received mine about 2 months ago, and I'm still on the same three lithium AA's with VERY little reduction in brightness, with fairly frequent use. The bezel of the light doesn't even get warm! Try it...you'll like it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

PJD

alanhuth

Newly Enlightened
Where would be a good place to buy one of these, making sure it's one of the new, non-overheating versions?