Couldn't get any better...

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Couldn\'t get any better...

Perfect scenerio last night. No moon, very very little ambient light (I live in the country). Found out last night that my SL Stinger HP/XT will throw a beam easily out to 250 yds and my UltraStinger will throw every bit out to 400 yds and then some. This is perfect for my application which is search and rescue for when I run my dogs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I should have tested the Scorpion but I forgot. I would think that the Scorpion would be good for flooding out an area out to say 150 yds. If there is no full moon tonight I will try out the Scorpion and see what it does in a similar scenerio.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: Couldn\'t get any better...

how would the SF M6 do there compared to the other lights?
bernhard

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
kiessling said:
how would the SF M6 do there compared to the other lights?
bernhard

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure since I don't own a M6, maybe someone who owns one will chime in. I know the M6 has a different throw, I believe more diffused. I could be wrong but I think SF are more noted for flooding out an area with intense light than throwing at great distances. The SF line is great for blinding someone in a self defense mode but for my application they would be useless. I need lights that will throw way out there.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dukester-

My co-worker proudly showed me his Stinger, telling me all the great things about it, like a proud papa. Then I pulled out my Surefire M6, he gasped "oh poop" and walked away, he was very silent the rest of the night.

GregR

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Double_A said:
Dukester-

My co-worker proudly showed me his Stinger, telling me all the great things about it, like a proud papa. Then I pulled out my Surefire M6, he gasped "oh poop" and walked away, he was very silent the rest of the night.

GregR

[/ QUOTE ]

My My, which Stinger are you referring to the original Stinger which only produces a mere 15,000cp or the Stinger HP or HP/XT which puts out 40,000cp, big difference Greg. Better yet, the UltraStinger that throws a beam out rated at 75,000cp. I read the specs & stories written about the infamous M6 on the Surefire Website and there is no mention whatsoever about Beam Throw! I make no argument about the M6 lighting a small field or large back yard or side of a building but again if you would read my post and what I use my Stingers for the Surefire line would be useless to me since it main place in the market is catered to tatical use. Having never seen an M6 in action I feel confident that my UltraStinger could easily out throw your M6... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dukester--

It was the longer Stinger with the smaller head, which ever one that is.

We need to hook you up with somebody in your area, you can go out at night and check the M3 and the M6 against Streamlights best. Who knows maybe your Ultrastinger kicks butt.

Have you used ANY of the hotter Surefire Products (M3, M4, M6)?

There has got to be somebody here that can give us an unbiased comparison of the M6 and the Ultrastinger.

How about it anybody, with both?

GregR

LightofMine

Newly Enlightened

I have the answer. Double A you give your M6 to Dukester then buy yourself a new one. Then Dukester can run the comparison test and give us the results. I trust Dukester to give us an honest test. Double A, you will get a new light out of this deal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey Dukester, I would like to know how the Scorpion performed.

James

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Stinger HP puts out the same amount of light as the Stinger, it just has a narrower more focused beam.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

LightofMine-

Funny, I've almost considered loaning my M6 to Dukester for him to try. If I was within an a hundred miles or so of me, I'd drive over and let him use any and all my lights. Inside and outside, and chasing his dogs around. His Ultrastinger sounds nice, but I don't care for rechargables, unless I can dump them out when they go dead and put disposables in their place.

I've been searching for the "best" light for over 15 yrs now and have spent gosh, maybe $700 on lights. I've yet to find the best one and have come to the conclusion that two lights are best, a small broad beam LED and a small size incandescant.

GregR

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok, you rant a rave about your M6 but again judging what I read in your Surefire Website I am very confident that the UltraStinger will easily out throw a M6 out to say 400 yds. The M6 is not designed to throw a beam out that far before difusing.

I haven't had any experience with any SureFire products but I just know that while they do put out intense light the throw pales in comparison to the UltraStinger. The M6 may be superior up to maybe 75 to 125 yds but beyond that the beam probably dicipates. There has been nobody in this thread make any claims to distance your M6 can throw, likewise the reported stories on the SureFire Website. Absolutely no mention of distances whatsoever. All the stories which I believe are 6 of them mention CQ type work. I feel like a broken record but again I make no argument that the M6 will outshine probably even the UltraStinger in CQ work but at distances is where the UltraStinger will prevail without a doubt.

GregR - I don't care much about feeding a flashlight 6 lithium batteries at every 20 minutes to 60 minutes of run time. No, I am not cheap, just practical... Oh, you did mention the Stinger you had the little contest with had the smaller head well that would be the original Stinger that puts out the mere 15,000cp and it does come with the smaller head. It's head is smaller than the HP, HP/XT and UltraStinger which come with the larger head. So, you just matched up your M6 with the original low end Stinger, no wonder your lamp outshined /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James - Haven't retested the Scorpion, maybe before I turn in as it is getting late. Is there a doubt in your mind that it won't cut the mustard? There shouldn't be...

If the Surefire line is suppose to be the greatest thing out there why are there not more agencies using them like DOT and other law enforecement agencies. You will see more police using stingers strapped to their service belt than you will anything else. Same goes for the folks at the weigh stations. I see UltraStingers charging on their walls so they use them to inspect the semi's coming through.

Sorry, movies don't count.

iddibhai

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Dukester said:
Sorry, movies don't count.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dukester-

Naw I don't think the M6 could reach 400 yards. Heck, that's nearly a quarter mile, I can tell you, I can see that far in the dark, even with one of those million candlepower 12V spotlights.

Most police departments issue Streamlights to the beat cops, only the Swat Teams get issued Surefire /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yes, they are expensive to feed absolutely positively no doubt about it.

I just had to rib ya, when you post "Couldn't get any better" and I know you haven't tried every flashlight out there!

So, have you seen the movie and was it any good?

GregR

Wiking

Newly Enlightened

Sorry if I will upset you guys now, but I´m quite shure that the old classical MagCharger with the new upgraded bulb from Mag, will throw the beam longer than any Sunfire or Tigerlight.

/Wiking

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Double_A said:
Dukester-

Naw I don't think the M6 could reach 400 yards. Heck, that's nearly a quarter mile, I can tell you, I can see that far in the dark, even with one of those million candlepower 12V spotlights.

Most police departments issue Streamlights to the beat cops, only the Swat Teams get issued Surefire /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just had to rib ya, when you post "Couldn't get any better" and I know you haven't tried every flashlight out there!

GregR

[/ QUOTE ]

One day I may flop down the bucks for high end SF. I live on 40 acres that is 2/3rds wooded and there is a shooting range for public use on the property. When I run the 4 large dogs I have to have a good throw. My dogs will at times give chase after coyotes and other assorted wildlife. As much as I use my flashlights anywhere from 15 - 30 minutes nightly you can see why I went with a rechargeable rather than lithium. I would be changing out the batteries about 3 times a week and having to keep an ample supply of batteries on hand. I use a Million CP Brinkman Rechargeable for more punch if need be. The Brinkman has only a 20 minute run time which is a bummer.

Perhaps if I feel for a need for a terrific house light that could be used to deter home invasions I will buy a M6 to 10x, I could easily see that happening.

James - I did use the Scorpion last night to see what it would do. I was super impressed by this little light. It threw out a beam well out to 200 yds

Mr HG

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Dukester said:
[ QUOTE ]
Double_A said:
Dukester-

GregR

[/ QUOTE ]

One day I may flop down the bucks for high end SF. I live on 40 acres that is 2/3rds wooded and there is a shooting range for public use on the property. When I run the 4 large dogs I have to have a good throw. My dogs will at times give chase after coyotes and other assorted wildlife. As much as I use my flashlights anywhere from 15 - 30 minutes nightly you can see why I went with a rechargeable rather than lithium. I would be changing out the batteries about 3 times a week and having to keep an ample supply of batteries on hand. I use a Million CP Brinkman Rechargeable for more punch if need be. The Brinkman has only a 20 minute run time which is a bummer.

Perhaps if I feel for a need for a terrific house light that could be used to deter home invasions I will buy a M6 to 10x, I could easily see that happening.

James - I did use the Scorpion last night to see what it would do. I was super impressed by this little light. It threw out a beam well out to 200 yds

[/ QUOTE ]

My 2 cents.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If your scorpion reaches 200 yards.
Then the SF M6 reaches at least 400 yards. Because my scorpion/tl-2 struggles to reach a 100 yards! I have the M.C with the new style bulb and it compares with my SF M6 with its LOLA! I havent used or seen a US but I recall an older thread about the MC vs. the US. The Mag Charger won, or something like that.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

The main reason that you don't see more cops carrying SurFires is the price. A Stinger is only a hundred bucks, less I'm sure when bought in quantity. The only rechargeable SureFire for the same price is the 8NX or maybe the 8AX, neither of which can actually match the throw of the Stinger. I know the older 9N (haven't seen the newer 9AN) will have the same throw as the Stinger and will have much more light up close, but it's twice the price.
The M6 isn't really made to thorw a beam 400 meters, it's for throwing a wider wall of light at closer ranges. Different tool for a different purpose. It's more of a balance of flood and spot than the tight spot of the US or MC.
The Tigerlight too puts out a lot of light at closer ranges, I'd guess up to a couple hundred meters. The Ultrastinger and the MagCharger will outthrow the M6, probably the 10X, and probably the prefocused Streamlights (SL20, SL20P, and SL35), because the beam can be focused to a very tight spot. At the expense of side or spill light. Great for longer range, but maybe not so good for distances of only 20 meters. I say maybe, because I find my MC to be usefull even at close range, or at least until the reflected light starts to blind me.
A light is only a tool, and choosing the right tool for the job is as important in lighting as it is in building a house, or repairing your car. I'd rather use the US or MC for finding a dog at 400 meters, than the M6, but I'd rather use the M6 when conducting room clearing drills. Better yet, the M500B or other weaponlight for MOUT.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Mr HG said:
[ QUOTE ]
Dukester said:
[ QUOTE ]
Double_A said:
Dukester-

GregR

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My 2 cents.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If your scorpion reaches 200 yards.
Then the SF M6 reaches at least 400 yards. Because my scorpion/tl-2 struggles to reach a 100 yards! I have the M.C with the new style bulb and it compares with my SF M6 with its LOLA! I havent used or seen a US but I recall an older thread about the MC vs. the US. The Mag Charger won, or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what kind of condition you were in when you tested your Scorpion or even if my Scorpion is of the new type or not. I would assume it is since I just got it a week ago. But having said that, I tested my Scorpion last night and it put out a beam every bit out to easily 200 plus yds. I live out in the country on an Island and last night there was no moon so it was ideal to do some of my personal beam throw testing. I walked out the road(no street lights)and turned on the Scorpion and I was amazed how well it lit up the road, at least a couple hundred yards. I am wondering if there is something wrong with your Scorpion? I have read other threads on this board with people praising the Scorpion myself included. Were you doing your beam test in a well lit football stadium /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just kidding...

LightofMine

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Dukester said:

GregR - I don't care much about feeding a flashlight 6 lithium batteries at every 20 minutes to 60 minutes of run time. No, I am not cheap, just practical...

Dukester
I don't know what you pay per kilowatt hour for electricity but I would bet you can recharge your UltraStinger less than a dollar. An M6 will consume six 3 Volt Lithium batteries ever 20 minute (it is not going to be full bright for that 20 minutes either). They tell me they get the batteries on line for $1.25 each. I have not been able to do that. I find them for $1.25 (box of 12 for $15.00) but then they want shipping which brings it up to about $1.60 each. Maybe someone can tell me where they are getting free shipping. Even at $1.25 each you are talking about $7.50 every 20 minutes. If you went hunting for a lost dog for an hour that would cost you $22.50 with a M6. You could hunt for that dog with your Streamlight for less than a dollar. A bulb for that M6 cost $28.00.

I would like to have an M6 just so I could brag that I owned one. However, I wouldn't actually use it. If I had to use an M6 they couldn't give me one for free much less me pay over $300.00 for that sucker.

According to the UPS tracking, that man in the brown truck will bring me a Scorpion tomorrow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
LightofMine said:
[ QUOTE ]
Dukester said:

According to the UPS tracking, that man in the brown truck will bring me a Scorpion tomorrow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James

[/ QUOTE ]

Let us know what you think of the Scorpion, I can very well see why it is a popular light, I am sure you will too. Hopefully tomorrow there will be no moon out so you can see for yourself...

Good luck to you James

Dukester

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Dukester,

I am impressed by your results. I have the lights mentioned in this thread and have tested most of them . Due to crowded urban conditions I have developed my so-called "Vertical throw tests". I pace off a specific distance from a tall building, select an aim point and count the number of floors, conservatively assigning 10 feet per floor. When I have my distance and height, I use Pythagoras to derive the hypotenuse, which equals the total distance of the test. Accuracy can't be exact but is close because I measure very carefully. I try to enlist the services of at least one witness, usually more.

The high urban ambient light limits my tests to less than 600 feet and I'm sure that could be considerably extended in a very dark environment. At 540 feet the US is a misty barely discernible presence on the building's side, while the MagCharger with "new" standard bulb is distinctly brighter and more focused, but still quite dim. I have tested the M6 (HOLA) against the Tigerlight at about 300 feet and there is simply no comparison. Excellent though the Tigerlight is, it is completely overwhelmed by the M6. What was surprising is that such a broad bream can also project so far. I have yet to perform further tests with the M6 but as I said, testing is problematic in this very crowded, busy city.

I envy your 40 acres and your ability to play with your lights freely and with interference. I'm interested to know how you measured distance for your tests. I used a calibrated pedometer for my horizontal distance with compensation factored in for turns and corners and I'm curious about your technique because your distances of 400 yards, nearly a quarter mile is the length of four football fields. I know your lights well and I can't imagine how you would get anything other than a dim projection at that extreme range.

I have also tested many lights on trips to rural Canada but unfortunately they were very informal tests lacking precise distance measurements or controlled conditions. However I have tested the Scorpion, 6P (with P60), Dorcy Spyder, PM6, TACM III, Taclite (internal focus) and E2E (MNO3). The Scorpion (at tightest focus) outthrew the E2E, was slightly edged out by the 6P, fell somewhat short of the Spyder and was significantly outthrown by the TACM III, Taclite and PM6. I can only guestimate the distance at more than 100 yards, at least the length of a football field.

The Scorpion is certainly an excellent light with proven abilities, but falls short of several 2x123 lights in terms of throw, if not total output as indicated above. The current 2x123 long throw champs are the ASP Taclite (internal focus model), the TACM III and, most recently the PM6. The Scorpion might have been in that league had Streamlight chosen to design it for very tight focus like the PM6. I always liked my Scorpions but I gave them away because of what I considered design flaws, at least for my purposes. I am not criticizing the light, it is well respected and a real bargain, but I found it did not satisfy my very specific personal needs.

EDIT: Just remembered that Diesel Dave had posted that he could see the movement of deer at approx. 300 yds from his stand one dark night. I think he was using a Tigerlight though I'm not certain. I did a quick search but finding that post in an ocean of posts is almost impossible.

Brightnorm