Adjustable Focus

Waspy

Newly Enlightened
I have a LED Lenser L5 which has an adjustable lens focus from total flood to total throw. I really like this feature and am considering getting one of their new 200 lumens models, but the one thing that puts me off is the size of the things, they are very large flashlights (some models use D cells FFS!). Also, they do not run in regulation (I think), nor do they take Li-ion rechargeables like 18650s (OK, that's three things). Why do they take such a good product and then try and psis me off?

I have looked for other flashlights with this feature (adjustable focus) but have found only two:

Fenix E20 Cree Q2 but it does not say how much adjustment and it is 'only' 109 lumens. Good price though.

Wolf Eyes Fox I Q5 Rechargeable it says it can focus between 8 - 12 degrees. Has a weird LRB-168A battery?? but comes with a charger.

I have three questions:

Are there any more flashlights like this with adjustable focus?

What adjustment range does the Fenix have?

What sort of range is 8 - 12 degrees on the Wolf Eyes? The same as the LED Lenser?

Thank you.

Last edited:

chanjyj

Enlightened
I have a LED Lenser L5 which has an adjustable lens focus from total flood to total throw. I really like this feature and am considering getting one of their new 200 lumens models, but the one thing that puts me off is the size of the things, they are very large flashlights (some models use D cells FFS!). Also, they do not run in regulation (I think), nor do they take Li-ion rechargeables like 18650s (OK, that's three things). Why do they take such a good product and then try and psis me off?

I have looked for other flashlights with this feature (adjustable focus) but have found only two:

Fenix E20 Cree Q2 but it does not say how much adjustment and it is 'only' 109 lumens. Good price though.

Wolf Eyes Fox I Q5 Rechargeable it says it can focus between 8 - 12 degrees. Has a weird LRB-168A battery?? but comes with a charger.

I have three questions:

Are there any more flashlights like this with adjustable focus?

What adjustment range does the Fenix have?

What sort of range is 8 - 12 degrees on the Wolf Eyes? The same as the LED Lenser?

Thank you.

I do not think ANY Fenix models have flood-to-throw optics.

Ian2381

Enlightened
The E20 doesn't have the optical lens like the other flood to throw light, It looks more like Maglight.:wave:

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast

That weird LRB-168A battery is actually just a protected 18650 Li-ion cell.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes there are many other options.
The brand Rominsen has a 16340 and a 14500 (cr123 / AA) adjustable flood-to-throw light. Not as flawless a beam for white wall hunting but outside its great. "This is available through merchants in the marketplace" (look for a name like shining beams.)
There's also a widely imatated 'X2000 flood-to-throw' in many power sources, 18650, 16340, 3aaa. I say the 18650 version ($10 at DX) is the best cheapest bicycle light available. (For pure performance you need to bump up to $200 models to get the artifact free near illumination.) After a year I put an xre r2 an a 3x7135 chip in mine.

Led lensers are big for their output, expensive, perfect beam for whitewall hunting (as far as I know, I don't have one). They use several year old emitters. So while led lenser may give great whitewall shots, take it outside vs the dx x2000 18650 and the $10 light will smoke the led lenser across the whole focal range.

Rexlion

Enlightened
Not sure I would call that "many other options". :whistle:

You have to twist the head of the Romisens quite a ways to get from one end to the other. The $10 lights mentioned just need the head slid in or out to change from flood to throw, very quick and easy.

I do like my Lenser H7 headlamp. Runs on 3 AAAs and is not as bulky as their other offerings. I suppose a creative person could rig the thing with a single LiIon, the voltage is about right.

I really don't know why some other decent mfr doesn't come out with a good flood-to-throw light, I think there is a demand for them. (But then I think they should make more side switch lights, too, so what do I know!)

BoogieMann

Newly Enlightened
you should check out a brand called "EDI-T", google it and check, it's not a new brand, been around for a bit, but they don't have a big name like surefire or fenix.

I saw the guy who supplies them to Australia, saw them at the 4wd and fishing show in melbourne australia. They told me they're the fenix supplier for russia or something, don't my word on it though lol,

but yeh, when I talked to the guy, he said that these flashlights eat fenix for breakfast,

the P-16 (1x18650 - 280-300lm) is fully focusable, and regulated, this is the one I want to buy but I haven't got the 135AUD for it, might buy as a christmas present for myself lol,
I do own a led lenser hocus focus, and I also hate the lack of lumens and the no regulation

Dunno who supplies for different countries but Kizlyar Knives Australia supplies them here in Oz, they were guys I talked to at the 4wd and fishing show, and a long enjoyable convo it was

I was deciding between this and a TK12, extra 40aud gets the focus function.....worth it?

Last edited:

chanjyj

Enlightened
the E21 is the new model....

E20 has been around for years. It does have the capability to twist the head to adjust the reflector.

Woah. Bad mistake on my part. Think I was too sleepy :shakehead

You can adjust the reflector on the E20 but I don't think it's what the TS wants anyway. The E20 is more of de-focus/changing hotspot size, akin to the maglights.
TS seems to be looking for the LED Lenser kind of "flood - throw" aspheric feature. Or one of those DX zoom-in-zoom-out lights.

Waspy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies.

EDI-T does not appear to be available here.

I think I'll give the Fenix a miss.

The new LED Lenser M7R looks interesting, they will be available very soon...apparently.

In the meantime those DX Chinese cheapies look to be worth a risk at $10 a go.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Romisen makes three or four optically focusable lights. The RC-29 II, by Romisen dealer Shiningbeam, is a 1AA. Though its head is a largish 30mm wide, it's currently my keyring light.

Other focusable Romisens include the RC-C6 (1x123, or 2xAA if you raid the 2xAA tube from another Romisen) and, I think the RC-C8.

Traditionally, Romisens have used XR-E emitters with Q bins. But earlier this month, several Romisen models sold by Shiningbeam were upgraded to XP-G R4 emitters.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight PolyTac has adjustable focus. I think that it might only be on the incandescent version though. I don't think the PolyTac LED has the focusing feature. I could be wrong though.