Scorpion lens replacement instructions

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who guessed press-fit?
Here you go -- straight from Streamlight.

Lens Removal.

1. Remove the head from the barrel.
2. Remove the lamp holder from the head.
3. Grasp the head and hold it so the lens is facing upwards.
4. Hold the Scorpion lens removal tool (P/N:850168) in the other hand and rest the base of the tool on a solid surface (the tool can also be placed in a fixed vise).
5. Align the opening in the head with the pin portion of the lens removal tool and pass the removal pin through the hole in the base of the reflector.
6. Apply downward pressure to the head and the lens will pop free of the retainer.

Lens Replacement.

1. Place the head of the flashlight on a flat surface with the reflector facing upwards.
2. Take a replacement lens, remove the protective film, and place it so that it is flat across the open end of the head.
3. Place a clean smooth-ended 13/16" socket (max. O.D. 1.120") onto the lens and center the socket in the head.
4. Strike the socket with a rubber mallet.
5. Continue to strike the socket until the lens seats in the head.

(The lens removal tool was not included so I guess I'll just have to use a skinny bolt or something.)

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I have done this and maybe I can help. The hole in the reflector that you pass the tool through to push the lens off is very small and you must be carefull not to scratch or nick the red sleeve it looks fragile. I used a large size eyeglass screwdriver (about 4" long). You have to push pretty hard. Once the lens is out (I assume you don't care if the lens is scratched because just like mine it is probably partially melted) you are ready to put a new one in. I went to the jewlery store and got a mineral crystal. You can carry the old lens to the store for a size comparison. I still had to grind a little off the crystal to make it fit. Next is where I messed up. I used clear silicone on the inside of the lens to glue the lens in place. No matter how many times I tried I still got artifacts from the silicone in the beam. My bean shape is now very ugly but I feel I have better light transmission with the crystal. If you decide to go the crystal and silicone route I suggest you get a syringe with a real needle and apply a VERY, very small bead of silicone on the outside of the lens, leave the inside alone. There is just enough lip on the bezel to hold the silicone if you had the syringe. There is probably a better adhesive to use, I don't know what it would be, keeping in mind you may want to remove the crystal in the future. As far as beating the lens in with a rubber mallet, I have no experience there. Good luck.

FNG

Enlightened
How much did the mineral crystal cost? I might plan to do this if its affordable.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
It wasn't cheap at the jewelry store I went to, $12. But...I know Dat2Zip sells them for the AA mags he builds for $1.50. Not the correct size but shows you what a good price should be.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, FWIW I just completed the operation and it was a success.
I'm more than a little impressed with the watertightness.
I put the head with the new lens in a mug of water and tried to blow some bubbles through the lens.
Not one bubble.
This thing will never go diving but I've no worries that it will survive some rain or a puddle drop.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've done this with 28mm mineral crystals w/o any griding from http://www.ofrei.com/page_176.html. They run $2.50 for a three pack, but the catch is they have a minimum order of $15.

They also offer the lens in Saphire for $15 ea. http://www.ofrei.com/page_163.html.

Here is a thread about lens replacement for the Minimags in case you are looking for things to buy from Ofrei to fill out your $15 http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002070

Note, I found I had OK luck putting a dab of silicon on a piece of wax paper, then using a toothpick to apply it into the groove on the flashlight. It was very tricky and I agree - a syringe would be most helpful. I then carefully placed the lens into the open slot after carefully cleaning it.

A (large) picture here of the completed job:

http://www.navitsky.org/lights/scorpion/scorp-gls-lens.JPG

There is some excess, but it didn't cause a problem with the beam.

Note regarding the waterproofness of the job - yes, the lens and head are very waterproof this way, but the design of the Scorpion seems to preclude making it very waterproof (pay particular attention to where the head meets the body).

-john