7 cell MagLite mod to 6

Jim_Macklin

Newly Enlightened
Years ago I bought a 7 C cell MagLite and now it seems nobody is stocking the bulbs. The light ts self is very nice and the C size tube is much nicer to handle.
I converted my double AA MagLites last year to the NiteIze cap and LED [3] and I light those. Looking at the NiteIze website is see they offer a 1 Watt LED that is only rated for 6 cells. http://www.niteize.com/collections/flashlights/products/led-upgrade-kit-cd-cell
and an email to them confirmed they only want it on 9 volts and note 10.5.
While thinking about how to solve my problem, I noticed that the bottle my blood sugar test strips come in is the same size [almost, a little trimming required] as a C cell.
A little trimming with a sharp knife and drilling a 1/4 inch hole in the bottom, then a 2" carriage bolt and some washers and nut secured the bolt in tyhe shell. Toppe3d it off with an acorn nut.
The spring cap makes good contact with the head of the bolt and the acorn nut makes good contact with the last cell in the light.
I'm pretty sure some other plastic bottle, prescription will work if you need to go to D cell.
Just to keep the bolt centered in the bottle, I used hot melt glue and filled the bottle.
Works great and I'm very pleased with the quality of the NiteIze bulbs. There is no shadow in the beam and it seems at least as bright as the Halogen bulb with 7 cells. I bought a second LED and put it in my 2 D cell MagLite and it will be nice to not have the batteries die so often.