Are Led Lensers really that good??¿

U

user1016

Today I became the owner of a Led Lenser P7 and Led Lenser P3 (sent free by the seller). I have been yearning to try one of these new German made flashlights for a year now, as the lady at King of Knives is constantly showing me to them whenever she sees me in the store.

I decided to make my next purchase a Led Lenser instead of Maglite, thinking I might be getting an amazing modern torch, but to be honest, my expectations weren't exceeded (They're not very high as it is, I love my Maglite 4D stock LED).

Turning it on and off:

Is it just me, or is it really hard to press the pushbutton in on the tailcap if you have large/masculine hands?

Now my hands aren't very big, in fact they're quite delicate being a large computer user, but even I struggle to get the button in to the point where the light begins to flicker nonstop and *finally* clicks into place.

I found it worse with the P3! The button is so tiny you need to jam a fingernail down into the hole to turn it on.

Normally I'd say I wouldn't care, but what if it called for it, in say, an emergency? You need to flick the light out, have it at the ready to daze an attacker, or spot something happening? I tried a few times and found myself leaving marks all over my thumb trying to get the button all the way in. I can barely turn on the P3 without jamming my pinky in there.

One easy way to overcome this (I'd assume) is to glue or attach some kind of button extension on.

The next problem: Focusing.

Everyone has talked about how it has one-hand focusing. I found that it looked interesting how there is an absence of a significant artifact on the beam in flood (unlike Maglites), and a much sharper edge to the beam on flood, (again unlike LED Maglites, incandescants don't seem to have this). The P3 had an abnormally sharp blue tinge to the outside, although this didn't worry me. The flood on the P3 seems almost useless but it's still wonderfully bright for something of it's size compared to some double AA flashlights I've got here.

Back to the topic, I picked up the Led Lenser P7 and tried to use my thumb to focus it as the lady in the store had mentioned. I slipped! No problems, I'll just try it agai- slipped again. Being in a dry area (Australia) I found there was absolutely zero friction on the flashlight as well as my thumb. I could not shift it and eventually had to use two hands (Again being a computer career guy, perhaps I'm just not strong enough to move it?). Perhaps it would be easier if one of those traditional sliding switches with grooves were attached to the nosecap?

But seriously, I found the buttons on the P3 and P7 nightmarishly hard to press in (particularly the P3), whatever happened to a button that protrudes? Did anyone else suffer the same problem?

Also can anyone who has operated a P7 and P14 tell me if the button on the P14 is bigger and easier to press?

End of Whinge

PerttiK

Enlightened
Well I've got one lenser, M5 and I definitely can't adjust the focus by pressing from one side only.
And even if it would work from one side only there's so much torsion to the head that I think it would start to wear the guts.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like the fact that "LED LENSER" and "german" can be used in the same sentence. The germans have taken pride in their workmanship for many years and I don't understand why they would associate their name with a product that's being made in china and is generally of low quality, even if the germans do design the product.

jellydonut

Enlightened
'Really that good'? I've always gotten the impression on this forum that Led Lensers are consistently overrated by non-flashaholics and that in reality they lag behind all the major brands that are followed on this forum. But hey, maybe I missed something..:confused:

PerttiK

Enlightened
We all know the general opinion about lensers.
Maybe we could just try to answer the questions asked by OP...

eastern light

Newly Enlightened
Being fairly new to led flash lights,and at the time not having discoverd the CPF I made the Mistake? of my first light being a Led Lenser P7.
Now a few months and several lights later I still like the P7 and the ability to focus the beam which I find easily done with finger and thumb and really dont think it deserves all the bad press it recieves on here, Its not a bad light especially here in the UK where all the really good lights are Sooo expensive!
As for turning it on and off I've never had a problem, the travel is quite long but the way the end is radiused I find it easy to operate.

BBL

Enlightened
The main product coming from "Led Lenser" is marketing bullshit aimed at non-flashoholics.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had 2 and both had very difficult to press clickies, I know how you feel.

Not much in the quality department either, threads were shockingly rough, fit and finish wasnt great. I would rather have a minimag with an incan bulb.

AmperSand

Enlightened
With the Led Lenser P7 and P14 you can unscrew the battery pack from the tailcap. After you have done this you are able to adjust the tension of the tailcap button. The actual switching mechanism is attached the to battery carrier, but when the tailcap is off you have a tailcap button/spring etc and you are able to adjust a retainer to make the button more tight/loose.

U

user1016

'Really that good'? I've always gotten the impression on this forum that Led Lensers are consistently overrated by non-flashaholics and that in reality they lag behind all the major brands that are followed on this forum. But hey, maybe I missed something..:confused:

Well every time I go past a disposal or tactical store here, all the people behind the counter are pushing LED Lensers into my face going "CHECK OUT THIS NEW LED LENSER ADVANCED TAKTIKOOL FLASHLIGHT" and showing me how the beam is "artifact-free" with a thumb-sliding focus mechanism and stuff.

I'll be honest, the Led Lenser I've got (P7) seems bright, but I'm not as amazed with them as these store people would try and have me believe I would be.

In either case, perhaps I could find someone willing to buy $50 for the P7.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reason all the people are pushing LL is because they get the most commission.
There are many Chinese brands that are better than LL, but a lot of people found out they can order them online cheap. So the stores have to lower prices, reduce profits and commissions to compete. LL does not sell in Hong Kong or China, no online competition, so the Aussie stores can charge full list making more money.
Well every time I go past a disposal or tactical store here, all the people behind the counter are pushing LED Lensers into my face going "CHECK OUT THIS NEW LED LENSER ADVANCED TAKTIKOOL FLASHLIGHT" and showing me how the beam is "artifact-free" with a thumb-sliding focus mechanism and stuff.

The later LL (P7/P14) use the Cree XR-E LED same as most other people have also used for the past 3 years. LL got their brightness by running their torches with 4 batteries 6V when the LED only meed 3.5V. They use a cheap resistor to prevent the LED from burning out. As the batteries wear down the brightness drops.
The competition usually use only 1 or 2 batteries with a more expensive boost regulation circuit. The circuit maintains the same brightness over most of the life of the battery.
Many of the regulation circuits now have microprocessor control. This allows the designers to provide multiple light levels (and often unfortunately those annoying blinking modes). For example the 4sevens Preon (AAA) and Mini AA have a low mode of 2-3 lumens perfect for reading menus in dark restaurants or sneaking a peek at the program at a concert or other close in tasks. The medium mode of 15 lumens is adequate for indoor use. The high 90 lumens for the 1 cell versions and 180 lumens for the 2 cell versions is good for outdoors. The LL P7/P14 is probably in the 180 lumen range using twice as many batteries.
Alkaline batteries start at 1.6V and slowly drop to 0.5V. The brightness of an LL P7/P14 drops correspondingly until ~0.7V the LED conks out. To get around this slow dimming use LSD NiMH batteries. They start at 1.35V fully charged and drop to 1.2V when they need to be recharged. With a smaller voltage difference brightness is maintained. There is no reason to sell the LED Lenser if you use the right batteries.
I'll be honest, the Led Lenser I've got (P7) seems bright, but I'm not as amazed with them as these store people would try and have me believe I would be.

The main difficulty with the LL P7 is that model is released at the same time as the SSC-P7 LED which is 4X as bright as the LED in the LL P7. When CPFers see P7 they automatically assume something much brighter.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the Led Lenser P7 and P14 you can unscrew the battery pack from the tailcap. After you have done this you are able to adjust the tension of the tailcap button. The actual switching mechanism is attached the to battery carrier, but when the tailcap is off you have a tailcap button/spring etc and you are able to adjust a retainer to make the button more tight/loose.

Here's what you're after, James. Let us know if you have trouble making it please you.

I find LEDLENSER to make acceptable lights. They're bright, mine were durable, and the AAAs are universal. But they have their weaknesses as addressed here. Note: Chinese origin don't make bad quality. Bad quality does.

ASheep

Enlightened
The biggest problem with LED Lenser is the price. For the Price of a P7 or P14 in stores here, you could get some VERY nice, high powered lights from CPF vendors. To us, they aren't value for money. However, Being sold in Australian shops, their nearest competition is the Eveready Dolphin or an old incan maglite. This is where the shop owners get their "ZOMG SO BRIGHT AND SMOOTH BEAM!" attitude from.

To the unwashed who wants a bright light, they seem to be a good option. They use common batteries, and in my experience are quite reliable and hardy. We flashoholics know better though... My P7 still gets used from time to time, not as much as my Quarks though...

SureAddicted

Enlightened
I don't like the fact that "LED LENSER" and "german" can be used in the same sentence. The germans have taken pride in their workmanship for many years and I don't understand why they would associate their name with a product that's being made in china and is generally of low quality, even if the germans do design the product.

It really does not matter where a light is manufactured, ethiopia, Zimbabwe, sudan, saudi arabia and so on. As long as a company exercises strict QC, I don't have a problem where a light is made, and LL do have tight QC. You don't see many threads where people are having issues with their LL, so what you are saying just does not make sense.

daflip702

Newly Enlightened
City for losing your mind/wallet AKA Las Vegas
It really does not matter where a light is manufactured, ethiopia, Zimbabwe, sudan, saudi arabia and so on. As long as a company exercises strict QC, I don't have a problem where a light is made, and LL do have tight QC. You don't see many threads where people are having issues with their LL, so what you are saying just does not make sense.

+1 on this....

I know some insights on the manufacturing business and you'll be surprised where some "High Name Brand Whatever" get their goods from. Just because it's "made in china" doesn't necessarily mean it's bad...but then again, tools are a different story. derailed.

I own a LED Lenser/Coast P7. With its battery choice/format and speed focus system, it's a great flashlight for non-flashaholics. In fact, it still gets "Wows,Oh's and Ah's" from my sisters friends in my last camping trip (shoo go away unmodded 4D M*glight incan!! haha J/K). As stated before, they have have their strengths and weaknesses. If you do your research, you will eventually find them.

I still like the P7, but I officially gave it to my sister. I have no use for it. The Speed Focus system isn't a plus feature anymore due to the fact that there are many flashlights out there that incorporate "Hotspot & spill(flood)" beams. There is no use for adjusting from spot to flood, my flashlight beams are always there (hotspot for throw and spill for flood). It took a little while to get used to it, but I'll never go back.

As for the the "hard press" button issue, I find that the switch doesn't protrude as much as other flashlights and it's small in diameter. I do find myself having trouble turning it on and off sometimes. Also, The Speed Focus system should be smooth and untroubled. Perhaps your model is defective? My niece can operate the system, she is 6 years old. Sorry for the long post.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Generally speaking, you can get better quality lights for lower prices. Lights that can take lithium cells without voiding the warranty. Many LL lights can take rechargeable AA and AAA cells, but the company itself recommends using only alkalines in their lights. For the prices involved, that's not good enough.

Colorblinded

Enlightened
I've always been intrigued by the focus system and have wanted one, but I don't need it. And I certainly can't justify their prices for what you get.

Bloke

Newly Enlightened
I like my Led Lenser M1 (single CR123), although it was my first LED light after decades of maglites.
I knew no better and briefly thought it was a great light until I became enlightened by CPF

It gets used around the house a bit now but thats all

utlgoa

Enlightened
The Led lenser "HP" Series are great lights in my opinion, and several of the lights are now regulated (M Series). They have a lifetime warranty, and are more than just a high powered LED and an Orange Peel reflector.

Last edited:

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
LL wants to be like M@G, known the world over as the "go to" light of choice

IMO they ARE like M@G; mediocre quality for the $$$, sort of innovative in a "decade behind the times" way, packaged for the "WOW" factor.

Other than that, can't find a thing wrong with them.

The lights ARE useful and does have adequate output.