Cleaned lens with a hot cloth, created moisture inside?

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I'm just seeing things but, has anyone ever tried cleaning a lens with a hot cloth? Not boiling just hot. Reason I'm asking is this. I just put a huge smear mark on the lens of my brand new 1 day old fenix PD20, so I tried wiping the lens with a hot wet cloth . I can't comprehend this but, I could swear I can see some type of vapor on the reflector, you know, sort of like when a watch fogs up and theirs vapor inside. How can that be possible? I didn't really pay attention to the reflector before so I don't know if what I did was just now. What do you guys think. Sorry, no photos.

Last edited:

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Cleaning a lens with a hot cloth

Maybe I'm just seeing things but, has anyone ever tried cleaning a lens with a hot cloth? Not boiling just hot. Reason I'm asking is this. I just put a huge smear mark on the lens of my brand new 1 day old fenix PD20, so I tried wiping the lens with a hot wet cloth . I can't comprehend this but, I could swear I can see some type of vapor on the reflector, you know, sort of like when a watch fogs up and theirs vapor inside. How can that be possible? I didn't really pay attention to the reflector before so I don't know if what I did was just now. What do you guys think. Sorry, no photos.

With optics, try to avoid heat or water... or the two together. I use microfiber and AR safe lens cleaning spray. $4.50 at an eyeglass store, works on laser lenses too. I can't tell you if you got vapor in the lens though.

Norm

Retired Administrator

With optics, try to avoid heat or water... or the two together. I use microfiber and AR safe lens cleaning spray. $4.50 at an eyeglass store, works on laser lenses too. I can't tell you if you got vapor in the lens though.
Gee I wash my spectacles with handsoap and hot water daily i've also treated flashlight lenses the same way.
My spectacles are 6 years old (I have interocular lenses, so my prescription doesn't really change) every time I see a different optometrist they think my specs are new. :shrug:
Norm

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast

Gee I wash my spectacles with handsoap and hot water daily i've also treated flashlight lenses the same way.
My spectacles are 6 years old (I have interocular lenses, so my prescription doesn't really change) every time I see a different optometrist they think my specs are new. :shrug:
Norm

Are your specs AR coated? I doubt it, but if so handsoap can damage the coating.

Connor

Enlightened
It's important to use dish soap for coated lenses and never hand soap. The latter may contain some sort of emery compound, which WILL destroy the coating over time.

TwinBlade

Enlightened
My suggestion is to now wipe it down with a cool cloth. By virtue of deductive reasoning, the condensation will disappear having reversed the procedure regarding temperature.

Ok, I really got get my first cup of coffee in me...:tired:

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's important to use dish soap for coated lenses and never hand soap. The latter may contain some sort of emery compound, which WILL destroy the coating over time.

Exactly.... dish soap is designed not to damage crystal, silver, etc. while hand soap is a lot rougher and will pick more things up.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gee wizz, how in the world did this turn into an entire thread discussing AR coatings and soap?

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gee wizz, how in the world did this turn into an entire thread discussing AR coatings and soap?

Because I said you should use microfiber and lens spray, then someone said that you could use hand soap and water, then some of us disagreed.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
regardless, I doubt the hot cloth created moisture inside unless the seals were severely compromised. perhaps it was there in the first place.

SiliconCali

Newly Enlightened
I use isopropyl alcohol to get my lenses squeaky clean.

Here's a tip to help dry it out if you don't want to disassemble it (and assuming it's not some sort of AR coating related fog)...

Drop the light into a baggie filled with uncooked rice. Zip it up tight and it will suck the moisture up. This tip works on watches too. :thumbsup:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Because I said you should use microfiber and lens spray, then someone said that you could use hand soap and water, then some of us disagreed.
The liquid hand soap I'm reffering to is the type you use in the bathroom not in the workshop, it has no grit it's smooth like dish washing liquid.
Norm

grumbler

Newly Enlightened
If your flashlight is waterproof, then any "vapor" that condenses was always there. Just wait for it to evaporate.