Used my Innova UV to check for lice and nits

Dadof6

Enlightened
On Wednesday of last week we got the call from the school nurse. Not the one that our daughter was sick but that she had nits in her hair which are lice eggs. If there is one thing that will put my wife into a controlled whirlwind its lice or anything to do with them. We used the shampoos on my daughter's hair, combed it with lice combs again and again, searched for nits in her hair for hours and took all of our bedding to the laundromat. I think we got done with everything at about 12:30 at night.

And then the next morning we searched her hair again. After a while, I thought to myself since nits are white, wouldn't it be easier to search for them with a uv light? So I pulled out my innova uv and my brass peak uv and we used them to search for more nits. They illuminated every white thing still in her hair from pillow feather strands not visible without the light, to hair dander.

We found no nits but for now but then I did a little research on line and found out that some schools are now using uv lights in their search for nits and lice. So, if you have kids, it might be good to have a UV light to check their hair every week because lice and nits are absolutely no fun.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please pardon my ignorance, but besides checking for counterfeit bills, what uses does a UV light have?

It it the kind of tool that every flashaholic should have at least one of?

--flatline

jellydonut

Enlightened
You can check for all kinds of otherwise invisible body fluids, having a UV light will probably make you clean your bathroom more thoroughly.:sick2:

To me it's just a fun gadget so far, but apparently it is supposed to be good for leak detection. I'll make sure to find out once I get off the school bench and back to work.:sssh:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could use UV light to check for scorpions too if you have a garden or backyard and you are staying within a scorpion invested area. The proteins on scorpions react with UV and glows when shined upon.

Dadof6

Enlightened
I have no idea what wave length would be best lice detecting, all I know is that i just used it to check out a Barbie Rapunzel and she is, thank goodness, lice and nit free.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recall the grade school nurse using a UV lamp to check students' heads for wildlife infestation in the early 1960s.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I give up. What are you talking about?

I believe the joke is that he is a sleeper agent, brainwashed to "activate" upon hearing a phrase that no one would possibly think to utter besides his activator. The joke is that a sentence involving wavelengths and head lice is very unlikely to be used. For example, in an episode of "Family Guy", Mayor Adam West was actually a russian sleeper agent. His activation phrase was "That family of italians sure is being quiet", referencing the stereotype that italian families are rarely quiet.

I think.

Valen

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking of adding a small UV led to my EDC, not particularly bright is my only concern, how much power do you think it'd need to be useful?

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking of adding a small UV led to my EDC, not particularly bright is my only concern, how much power do you think it'd need to be useful?

Depends on your needs. If it's just checking DLs and bills, the Photon keychain lights in UV and near-UV would work. I have an Arc AAA UV, which is a great light, but the whole experience with them was so horrible that I honestly cannot recommend the light.

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
Anyone know if UV will work for detecting bed bugs? ...and NO I don't have any, but I do stay at a lot of hotels and do check for them.

Flavio

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doh, I should have tried that when my kids came home from school with lice. I used my Zebrailght H60 and magnifying visor to find them.

yalskey

Enlightened
I believe the joke is that he is a sleeper agent, brainwashed to "activate" upon hearing a phrase that no one would possibly think to utter besides his activator. The joke is that a sentence involving wavelengths and head lice is very unlikely to be used. For example, in an episode of "Family Guy", Mayor Adam West was actually a russian sleeper agent. His activation phrase was "That family of italians sure is being quiet", referencing the stereotype that italian families are rarely quiet.

I think.

Yes, I was trying to be funny as wyager described. It's a SIP (Amazon's term) Statistically Improbable Phrase. So obvious, isn't it?

:)

The Berr

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, I am new around here but I have been using UV for many years in my business. Started with hugely expensive and heavy equipment which has now been replaced by more portable converted dive lamp using five Nichia 5W leds. What I need to know is there anyone out there in this forum who can make me a single Nichia 5W led flashlight for presentation purposes. Please PM me if possible.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Hi guys, I am new around here but I have been using UV for many years in my business. Started with hugely expensive and heavy equipment which has now been replaced by more portable converted dive lamp using five Nichia 5W leds. What I need to know is there anyone out there in this forum who can make me a single Nichia 5W led flashlight for presentation purposes. Please PM me if possible.
Hello The Berr,
I would suggest checking out the two CPF subforums for custom work:
Homemade and Modified Flashlights Discussion
CPF's Custom & Modified Flashlights - Buy/Sell/Trade

You might want to consider creating a Discussion thread or a WTB thread in one of those.
:welcome:

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i,m not sure lice and nits will glow under any uv.

from experience checking kids for lice(and i have planty of experience at that) you don't need uv, they are visible with naked eye.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on your needs. If it's just checking DLs and bills, the Photon keychain lights in UV and near-UV would work. I have an Arc AAA UV, which is a great light, but the whole experience with them was so horrible that I honestly cannot recommend the light.

most cheap so called uv lights don't really work on bills, it shows the stripe on us bills, but not much more.
i tried those and more expensive 385nm uv light, for testing i use Jamaican 100 dollar bill, i,ve never seen more details on any other bill , there are few different uv paint there that glow under different wavelength uv light
with cheap uv you see only few spots that glow, with 385nm there are a lot more details glowing, and you see them glow in different color.
nys DL otoh wont show anything with cheap or 385nm uv light, only fluorescent uv light in low 300's nm range shows nys seal.