Mag mod + copper endcap hack (Pics added)

aEx155

Newly Enlightened

I thought I'd share my first mod, a SSC P4 (unknown bin) powered by a 9.6v RC car battery and a LM317 set at 700ma. Along with the cut reflector, I stuck a convex lens from my telescope that happened to fit perfectly.

While the emitter and and drive aren't anything special, what's interesting is the heatsink I used:

For me, funds are scarce, so ordering a $20 mag heatsink wasn't really an option for me. The first thing I thought to try was a copper plumbing end cap, specifically a 1" one from Home Depot a ~$2 each.

[copper endcap]

The ID of the mag (~34mm) is larger than the OD of the endcap (~28mm), so they won't work without a bit of modification. I used a rotary cutting device to make 8 equally spaced cuts down the sides, so I could flatten the endcap out (I made sure to let the "arms" keep their curvature, as this leads to better contact with the inside of the mag). After, I bent the arms back perpendicular, but at a larger diameter, so it would fit into the mag perfectly. (unfortunately, I didn't take picture of the entire build process)

The result was a heatsink that worked and barely cost anything. The copper is only 1/16" thick, so I used an LED on a star to help distribute the heat a little more. Before, the LED got really hot because the heat had no where to go; now, it barely gets hot even after long periods of on time.

Overall, the combination of parts comes together to form a nice flashlight. The battery pack is a bit of a hassle and the heatsink for the LM317 gets way too hot, but for ~$8 in parts ($4 for the regulator, $4 for the heatsink, and the LED was salvaged; I had the mag and the battery pack is for my car), it works well.

Future improvements include placement in a cut down mag for use as a bike light, and a different regulator/battery combination.

If there's an interest in this I'll make a more formal guide on making these.

Last edited:

fortean101

Newly Enlightened
Re: Mag mod + copper endcap hack

I cannot see any pictures, I am looking for a diy heatsink as well and the plumbing stuff is readily available

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bump for a nice project! Would really help if I could see the pictures though :whistle:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

I cannot see any pictures, I am looking for a diy heatsink as well and the plumbing stuff is readily available

If you match the size* so that the endcap dumps heat onto the aluminum body, a copper endcap will work great for an LED heatsink.

*You can adjust the size. Cut a soda can into a flat sheet. Sand the paint off the outside and the plastic layer off the inside. Cut it into strips that will neatly wrap around the copper endcap. Use as many wraps as you need to make a densely-rolled expansion for the endcap. Use it that way.

aEx155

Newly Enlightened

Finally got a chance to get some pictures taken and uploaded. First post has been updated. (Sorry they are really bright, I had problems with my camera; I'll see if I can retake some of them but these will have to do for now)

I'm glad that this has gotten some interest; getting modding supplies is sometimes hard as the cost of shipping things from multiple sources adds up a lot, so if this helps in making modding more accessible, then I'm glad.

Please feel free to ask if you have any questions. I'm happy to explain anything that needs clearing up.

Ajay

Enlightened

I was going to use a 1.5inch end cap because that it what I have but seeing this post made me change my mind. I will get the 1inch end cap and try this. Old but useful thread. Thanks OP.