Drop-in For Surefire 3P

jds1

Newly Enlightened
What is my best bet for use with a single primary CR123? Can I use any of the multitude of 3V drop-ins available, or do I need something different? I've used the Lumens Factory multi stage units in 6Ps and G2s and like them quite a bit. Thanks.

Jeff

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really, any of the 3V P60-style drop-ins will work.

I'm rather fond of the Malkoff series M31s.

-Trevor

jds1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. For some reason I thought that the P60 drop-ins were only good for two primary set-ups and would not have enough juice for use with a single 3 volt battery. So any module rated for a minimum of 3V will give me the same output as with 6V only less runtime?

Jeff

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've run a few single-cell drop-ins on a CR123a primary. The older Dereelight 1SD module runs at less than the rated 1A that the module would run at if I had put a RCR123a Li-Ion cell in there due to the lower voltage. I just put together a D26 drop-in using the Shiningbeam 4.2V "perfect regulation" multi-mode driver and, on a CR123 primary, will only light up on low. It turns on at medium for a few seconds then drops to low. With a RCR123a it has all three modes available.

The only drop-in that I'm aware of that would work really well with a CR123a primary would be the Malkoff M31 that TMedina mentioned.

pae77

Enlightened
Solarforce makes a low voltage P60 drop in that has 3 modes (l, m, h) and can handle a voltage range of 0.8 to 4.2 volts. It uses a 7090 XR-E WC R2 Cree Led and provides a claimed 300 lumens max output. They are available on ebay for about $14 shipped.

I have one I use with two NiMH AA cells (in a Solarforce L2r) and can say it is a very nice drop in especially considering the low cost. However, I prefer my equally low cost DX XPG 5 mode drop in that is a bit brighter and has a bigger hot spot. However, that one requires the higher voltage provided by at least one rechargeable Li-ion cell.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff modules: M31xx are brighter with shorter runtime. I would not consider full M31 on 1x123, you will get only 40 minutes of runtime based on tests. I would seriously consider either M31L or M31LL to push your runtime into hours and not minutes.

IMO, M31 really shines on 2xAA cells.

Also seriously consider M61LL that will also run very nicely on 1x123 with about a 10-15 hour runtime, mostly circa 30-40 lumens I think, if that's sufficient for you. It starts pretty bright at 50-80 lumens but drops after 30 minutes to half that and the rest of the very long runtime runs out of regulation.
M61LL in 3P is the ultimate EDC lite. It's also the most diverse module Malkoff has, you can stick it anywhere - 3P, 6P, 9P, 12P assuming 2x18650 config.... including 2xAA or 3xAA configurations. The lumens will vary of course based on input.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
3P_1.jpg

I tried the Nichia GS 5mm "battery vampire" P60 mod and it was good, days of runtime.
I was also impressed with Malkoff M60LL. It's the dimmest that module gets but I have been unable to run the cell down thus far, after leaving it running overnight, twice now.
Both of these are very nice TSHTF modules. Very compact lite that disappears if you EDC it.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have G2, 6P and 9P. Now only missing a 3P to my selection. But they are discontinued what I know, or?
However, I think THIS ONE is practically the same light?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
He also made a commitment to shrink the internal diameter a bit, it's currently 19mm and some cells were a little loose inside, apparent in bigger bodies, not 3P.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've assembled a sort of 3P using an old LU60 and an A21. I had to mill off part of the A21 to make it an A19 (I think) so that it would thread onto the short threads of an LU60. The pocket where the D26 sits needs to be opened up for an LED drop-in to actually drop into it, too. With a Z44 and Z41 it's a fairly compact light but an E1B is a lot smaller/thinner than any D26-based light no matter how small you try to make it. Even Old4570's Solarforce L2SM, which is about the smallest D26-based light possible, is pretty big compared to an E1B/E1O.

sgt253

Enlightened
Swedpat,
The Malkoff M31 will fit in the E1E body but you need a bezel (head) that fits the E1E body as well. So, a VME head that contains the M31 drop in will screw right into the E1E body. You could also obtain an E to C adaptor to fit the smaller (E) body to the larger (C) head. I hope this helps.

Regards.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Swedpat,
The Malkoff M31 will fit in the E1E body but you need a bezel (head) that fits the E1E body as well. So, a VME head that contains the M31 drop in will screw right into the E1E body. You could also obtain an E to C adaptor to fit the smaller (E) body to the larger (C) head. I hope this helps.

Regards.

Thanks sgt253! :)

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
Swedpat,

Regards.

+1 :thumbsup:

jds1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input from everyone. I opted to start with the Solarforce to see how much I'll actually carry this light. If it turns out to be a favorite, I'll probably pop for the Malkoff. I got the SF 3P host (mint) for only $10, so I'll have less than $25 for the total package. Can't really go wrong.

Jeff

bkumanski

Enlightened
Surprised no one mentioned the Dereelight Javelin dropins. These are low voltage and supposedly have 300 emitter lumens.

sawlight

Enlightened
Back from the dead!

I was just wondering if anyone had more input on using the multi-mode drop-ins in these bodies with RCR batteries? The Solaforce 3 mode? The Nailbender 3 mode? Any of them work good enough that you'd call it good for a daily EDC?
I'm wanting to build one up to replace my lost Novatac until I can save enough pennies that the "better half" wont kill me if I order a RA:whistle:
But I'd rather not spent the same amount buying drop ins that wont work in it trying to find one that does! I know there are a BUNCH of these bodies floating around now, so surely I'm not the only one with this idea?
Thanks all!