Home Rechargeable Emergency LED Light?

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened
Given the recent blackout, this seems like a natural idea, but I cannot find such a thing anywhere. There are these rechargeable, emergency flashlights that you leave plugged into the power at all times, and they come on automatically when the poser fails. But none of them seem to use LEDs for light. Yet it seems, to me, that LEDs are the obvious choice. No problem with bulbs burning out. Longer battery life. How come nobody makes one?

-barry

Tomas

Banned
I'm still looking for LED assemblies to replace the bulbs in my existing commercial power-fail lighting.

Came close with a lead given by another CPFer, but htose LED replacements ere for 12V only, and while otherwise perfect, I need then to run on a 6V, 4.5AH system.

Looks like I will have to builb them myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

DougNel

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BarryNYC said:
Given the recent blackout, this seems like a natural idea, but I cannot find such a thing anywhere. There are these rechargeable, emergency flashlights that you leave plugged into the power at all times, and they come on automatically when the poser fails. But none of them seem to use LEDs for light. Yet it seems, to me, that LEDs are the obvious choice. No problem with bulbs burning out. Longer battery life. How come nobody makes one?

-barry

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true! I have two. See: Mobile Energy Nite Star Flashlight

NIMH battery (no memory effect). Stays plugged in all the time. Has 3 white LED's. One LED (the center one) acts as a "nightlight" by turning on in dim light and a "power failure" light by turning on when the AC current is not present. Claim is 20 hours run time in this mode. Can also be unpluged and used as a 3 LED flashlight. Claim is 10 hours for this function......

Is this what you were looking for?

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
How about fitting those EverLED's in the emmergency lights? They should be able to work well over a broad range of voltages. If you don't like the side emitter, maybe it would be possible to just cut off the "inverted cone" and polish the end on fine sandpaper---like 1200 grit---to make a pseudo-HighDome.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm, I would like some but do not like the nite lite feature, I would want it to come on in the event of power failure and can be unplugged, I would not want it to be a nitelite.

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened
Hurray! Thanks to Quickbeam and DougNel for finding exactly what I was looking for. I'll order a couple tonight.

Thanks to the other posters, too, for good ideas, but this Night Star is exactly what I was looking for.

-barry