Any performance advantage with the P60L?

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
I have a Surefire with a P60L module coming in. From what I've heard they aren't exactly the beacon of light that so many of today's drop-ins offer. I would love to give myself a reason to keep and use the P60L, namely it would keep me from dropping $70 on a Malkoff M61 :eek:.

Aside from the obvious Surefire Quality and Duarability, does the P60L offer any advantages to today's aftermarket drop-ins? Brightness, runtime, beam quality, tint, etc. Or is this another case of Surefire buying a lot of 1 million LED's 5 years ago and continuing to use them just because they have them.

What LED do they use? How old of technology is it?

Dan FO

Enlightened
I have a Surefire with a P60L module coming in. From what I've heard they aren't exactly the beacon of light that so many of today's drop-ins offer. I would love to give myself a reason to keep and use the P60L, namely it would keep me from dropping $70 on a Malkoff M61 :eek:.

Aside from the obvious Surefire Quality and Duarability, does the P60L offer any advantages to today's aftermarket drop-ins? Brightness, runtime, beam quality, tint, etc. Or is this another case of Surefire buying a lot of 1 million LED's 5 years ago and continuing to use them just because they have them.

What LED do they use? How old of technology is it?
I like them. They use a SSC P4 LED and have a great all purpose beam with great tint. They are rock solid and I have never heard of one failing. I have them in my G2's that I keep in the vehicles. It would be perfect to change a tire with at night. Just a good bulletproof all around light that won't fail you. Plus I really like the tint. :D

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I have had 4 of them. They were all blue tinted, not so bright, and didn't deliver the runtime they were supposed to.
I have just about every drop-in you can think of but I no longer have a P60L.
I quite dislike them and I'm glad they are virtually phased out.
Buy the Malkoff or Deerelight, or custom made ones!

outersquare

Enlightened
my buddy has a 6PL with the P60L that he somehow managed to burn the LED, the yellow die was obviously discolored and did not give full output.

he said his dad just used it for hunting ants..

the P60L is mostly being replaced by the new SF KX4 head assembly anyways

however, yes the construction itself is otherwise quite good, pretty much i have not seen any other aftermarket P60 drop in built as well.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
What they said...

Good-
1) Good construction
2) Nice "Beam"

Bad-
1) Not so good runtime
2) Tint is hit or miss...I have had some with good tints though
3) Sucks alot of juice for the out-put

Not bad to have around as a back up drop-in though.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great beam.
Lightweight. G2's not as top heavy as with the Malkoff's.
Expect 2.5-3hrs runtime a near max output.
FITS IN A SUREFIRE SPARES CARRIER !!!!! which makes it great as a backup LED bulb rather then the older P60 or P90 incandescent lamps.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
I think it's a good general purpose drop in.

It's not going to cause you too much discomfort using it inside at night as it's only 80lm but at the same time it does work quite well outside in both spill and the ability to light things up over short-medium distances.

It does seem quite hungry though despite it's low power, I suppose that's because it's an older less efficient LED.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Think of the P60L as an LED version of the P60, with the advantage of never burning out. That's about it though.

Personally, I love the Seoul P4 emitter. The one in my Novatac 120P is an example of what that emitter is capable of. The ones used in the P60L . . . Not so much. :(