Surefire issue, What would you do?

revance

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a 6P LED Defender online to give as a gift and when it arrived I noticed a few issues. First, the beam of the P60L isn't very good. It has a dark ring around the hotspot (not at all like the many other P60Ls I have had).

Also, the body has some machining/anodizing issues. There are faint marks around the knurling where it looks like they knurled too deep so when they lathed the ends it still left a trace of knurling past where the knurling is supposed to end. It kind of looks like little flames around the knurling. The anodizing is also not normal, instead of being glossy black with the lathe marks clearly visible, it is matte and those lathe marks aren't visible. If you look REALLY close, it doesn't look perfectly even. I guess it almost looks like a black HAIII anodizing.

I contacted Surefire and naturally they said they would take care of everything. I am just trying to decide if I am being too picky. Is it really worth shipping it to them for repair? What would you do?

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Send it back. You are paying for quality when you bought your Surefire. I look at it as if I purchased a car where it would not be acceptable if the car had flaws.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
If intended as a user then I would keep it but if you are making a show piece or it was to be part of a lightly used collection then I'd just maybe consider sending it back. If the knurling error was evenly done I would keep it.

Sounds like it was finished twice to give it that matt look and Surefire knurling mistakes can fetch a higher resale price from collectors. You may want to hang onto that light.

revance

Newly Enlightened
Alright, here we go. Its the best I could do. I tried with and without the flash.

Here it is without a flash which shows how matte it is and you can see the machining marks past the knurling.
DSC_0025.jpg

Here is another showing how matte it is, you can't see how the level of matteness (I don't think thats a word) isn't consistent.
DSC_0024.jpg

And here it is with the flash, which shows the color a bit better.
DSC_0018.jpg

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had 6P's with similar matte like finishing. To me I found it an advantage due to the increased grip.

The knurling on the body looks nice. How grippy is it?
On a scale of 1-10, one being slippery wet soap, 10 being so grippy that it cuts into your hand.

Illum

Flashaholic
There is nothing wrong with that light. You have got to be f'n kidding me.

I agree, even an extruded aluminum wouldn't bear exact consistency in texture from front to end, let alone machining marks.

Your lights fine, there have been ones alot worse, plus engraving errors...that got sold with alot of money in cpfm:whistle:

NCT1

Newly Enlightened
Hey Hey, lets all play nice...:) I think that if I paid that much money for a surefire, I would be scouring it with a fine tooth comb too!

Chryslerguy

Newly Enlightened
I see what you mean, but you'll find that with use lots of other marks will show up uninvited...

I have a 9p that's been a backpack queen carried as a spare and hardly used, it sure doesn't hold a perfect finish!

revance

Newly Enlightened
Again, remember I said this was for a gift. I have never gotten a SF that wasn't absolutely perfect (and I have several). I just didn't want the recipient to think SF was anything but awesome. Mine all get beat up, so for me I wouldn't care.

I think I am going to agree with all of you and not worry about it.

I am going to swap out the drop-in with one of mine that has a good beam and just keep this one as a spare.

revance

Newly Enlightened
I've had 6P's with similar matte like finishing. To me I found it an advantage due to the increased grip.

The knurling on the body looks nice. How grippy is it?
On a scale of 1-10, one being slippery wet soap, 10 being so grippy that it cuts into your hand.

I'm guessing that is why the knurling marks extend past the knurling. I think they got it deeper than usual and then when they lathed the ends it didn't take off all the knurling.

The knurling is what makes the 6P so incredible.

tygger

Enlightened
Again, remember I said this was for a gift. I have never gotten a SF that wasn't absolutely perfect (and I have several). I just didn't want the recipient to think SF was anything but awesome. Mine all get beat up, so for me I wouldn't care.

I think I am going to agree with all of you and not worry about it.

I am going to swap out the drop-in with one of mine that has a good beam and just keep this one as a spare.

If you really want them to think SF is awesome, throw that subpar module out and put a Malkoff M61WL in there.