My new L4

blademan

Enlightened
I just got an L4 AND OMG!! I have an L1 also and arc ls so I don't think I need anything else. I had no idea how amazing the L4 was but now I've seen the light. Ha-Ha

EPguy

Newly Enlightened
Know what ya mean! I recently got one too and now I EDC it everywhere including overseas to which it receives alot of attention and questions. I back that up with an L1, A2 and M6 in my daypack just in case the lights go out again and I want a little longer throw to check out the tunnels or the subway.

Likebright

Enlightened
I really like my L4 I use the recharable Pyla batteries in it.
and it goes to work with me each day.I get a lot of comments on it mostly "dang, that thing is bright" etc. But it also just flat out provides the most usable light from a small package. It is superbly made. Oh,
I have learned never to say how much I paid for it. Folks just don't understand my affliction and it goes easher unsaid.

Mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

blademan

Enlightened
I wouldn't dare tell anyone either. I have a buddy who is a wine collecter and he couldn't beleive the price. I just said " You can drink five dollar wine or hundred wine, what tastes better?" and he shut up.

ViciousCycle74

Newly Enlightened
I agree, this is now my most used light. I bought two and took the whitest one and put it on a E1E body, this is now my EDC. It's amazing how bright it is even on one cell.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't believe that 3 flashlights qualifies you for being a flashaholic? Maybe wannabe, heh, heh, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Gman

Enlightened
I gotta admit, I also put the L4 body away and now use the KL4 exclusively on an E1 body. I'm more than willing to give up a little brightness for the size and nearly 4 hour run time. The Kl4 on one cell is the best EDC I've ever had.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Bullzeyebill said:
Is the KL4 head on an E1,E1e brighter than the MM+ Q3L. More overall light?

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the KL4 on an E1e might be slightly brighter than the MM+ Q3L, but it is not a dramatic difference.

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't understand this then, the KL4/E1 sounds about the same brightness as a KL1 with a good led. What's the point? Why not use a KL1? And what's that about 4 hour runtime?!

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dont have an L4, but my 5 watt McLux head on a 1 cell body is easily brighter than the 1 watt head, at least for the first 15-20 minutes or so.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two L4s and both are dimmer on one cell than either of my KL1s.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect, and I've said this before, that the four hour runtime people are getting is due to the light not running in regulation anymore. As such, it will draw considerably less current and put out commensurately less light. I have yet to see the point of using a KL4 on an E1, guess if you got lucky and got a LED with a Vf of 5V (yeah, right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif), it might be worthwhile. But you are relying on something highly variable (Vf) as well as a light that is "battery" dependent. I just tried running two L4's I have on a single 123, one lights up fairly dim on Duracell, yet is fairly bright on Surefires. The other L4 doesn't light on the Duracell, and it's dim on Surefires. Pick another Duracell and it works well on the first light now. This Duracell has the same date code as the one that didn't fare too well (and yes, these are fresh, right off the package). Does this demonstration help illustrate my point? Probably off topic, so I'll get off my box.

Back on topic, the L4 is a pretty nifty light, especially when run off Li-Ion's which make it a lot more economical. Turn it on and forget it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CM

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
CM,

I think you've done a great job of explaining the different results that people are reporting. I did a run time test and decided that for my particular L4, the performance is only a little better than the Arc LSHP. So a KL4 on an E1e body wouldn't qualify as an EDC for me.

But I know now that in a power outage, if I'm low on batteries, I can always pop in a spacer and a 123 to get long life from my batteries.

Paul