Advice regarding RCR123's and 18650's.

Acid87

Enlightened
Hi all im fairly new to CPF but have been reading for some time,

I have been reading the horror stories regarding Lithium cells and although I value my face and hands I still feel the money saved from buying a steady stream of CR123 primaries may eventually buy me a new light.

I have read a number of the posts on the forums and find people like Mdocod give a lot of useful information so thanks for that.

My issue is I have a good few lights which use CR123's such as:

Single cell Nitecore SR3, 2 cell Surefire E2E G2 6P etc, 3 cell Surefire C3 and 4 cell Fenix TK30.
So you can see how this is chewing through the primary cells.

I have established using the 18650 cells would be better used in the TK30 so I will be purchasing a set of AW 18650's regardless for use in this light.

So firstly my question on these batteries is could they be used in a 2 cells CR123 light such as the SF E2E etc?

Secondly would It be worthwhile buying a set of RCR123's for use in the single cell lights and possibly the 2 cell lights?
I do NOT have any means with which to test these cells so would it be advisable to avoid the 18650's and RCR123's altogether?

Sorry if it seems I haven't done my research I assure you I have but am still rather apprehensive and somewhat scared of lithium cells.

On a side note I completely understand the dangers of batteries. As a few years ago I had a AAA cell vent in my eye thanks to a stupid relative who left a cell in an MP3 player on charge. After a long day at the hospital and all manner of sh*t poured into my eye to help I dont want to repeat this type of event.

Thanks in advance for any information.
Steven

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a relatively cheap DMM (digital multi meter) and the relatively expensive Pila charger. Only issue I have run into was when I bought 2 18500s (for a bored 9P) - one of them arrived at 0 v - I didn't want to try and charge it and the vendor sent me a replacement. ~90% of the cells I have bought are AW - so if you go into rechargeables you need to be able to measure the voltage.

6Ps I use 2 imr16430s with a P91 - very nice! Bought the P91s on the marketplace for ~$10 to $15 each.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have established using the 18650 cells would be better used in the TK30 so I will be purchasing a set of AW 18650's regardless for use in this light.

So firstly my question on these batteries is could they be used in a 2 cells CR123 light such as the SF E2E etc?

18650 won't fit in an E-series SureFire. You'll likely have to bore out the E2E or have it done for you so that it'll accept a 17670 cell. A 17670 will fit in a G2 and any C-series light without boring. 18650 will fit inside a C-series, if bored.

Even then, you'll have to replace the stock P60 lamp in your G2 if you run it on one rechargeable cell instead of two CR123 primaries. Check out the lamps from Lumens Factory over at Lighthound.com. (They sell lamps specifically designed to work with rechargeable cells, such as 18650s.)

Acid87

Enlightened
18650 won't fit in an E-series SureFire. You'll likely have to bore out the E2E or have it done for you so that it'll accept a 17670 cell. 18650 will fit inside a C-series, if bored.

Thanks Monocrom really helpful. Doesnt look like ill be using Li ion in my surefire lights. To get them bored I would have to send them over to the states which would cost an absolute bomb. Would you recommend getting RCR123 batteries?

Cheers Steven

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thanks Monocrom really helpful. Doesnt look like ill be using Li ion in my surefire lights. To get them bored I would have to send them over to the states which would cost an absolute bomb. Would you recommend getting RCR123 batteries?

Cheers Steven

In all honesty, I personally don't use RCR123 batteries. Not that there's anything wrong with them. I prefer 18650 and 17670 cells instead. Have heard from other CPFers that it's better to use, for example, one 17670 in a light that accepts two primary CR123 cells instead of using two RCR123 cells. An RCR123 is best when used in a single-cell light capable of functioning on CR123 or an RCR123 cell. (Such as a Ra / HDS Clicky.)

pae77

Enlightened
If you want a cheap but great way to use 18650's, consider getting a Solarforce L2 or L2p. These are Surefire 6p clones that look and perform great and are very inexpensive. They can use Surefire or Solarforce parts interchangeably. They come bored for 18650's and can also take RCR123's (aka 16340's), or 18350's which are even better than RCR123's (16340s) because they have a bit more capacity being wider. But a single 18650 provides a lot of runtime and, of course, is safer.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If you want a cheap but great way to use 18650's, consider getting a Solarforce L2 or L2p. These are Surefire 6p clones that look and perform great and are very inexpensive. They can use Surefire or Solarforce parts interchangeably. They come bored for 18650's and can also take RCR123's (aka 16340's), or 18350's which are even better than RCR123's (16340s) because they have a bit more capacity being wider. But a single 18650 provides a lot of runtime and, of course, is safer.

Early examples of the L2 host didn't come ready for use with an 18650. (I have one of those.) Good advice. But best to be weary when buying used L2 hosts.

Acid87

Enlightened
Thanks for the advice.
Think ill probably buy a set of AW 18650's and charger.
Possibly buy a set of RCR123s for my single cell lights.
And eventually buy a L2 host for my 6p.

Thanks for all the tips guys.
Steven

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Check out Lighthound.com

Excellent reputation. Top-notch all the way. And should have everything mentioned on your short list.