SST-50: Olight M21 Vs LumaPower Signature Tactical VX

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I just picked up these two lights because of some wicked good coupons/refunds from a couple of well known dealers over at the Marketplace. I was looking for something other than a thrower - I've already been down that road. :grin2:

There are many of these lights SST-50 lights out there. These two appealed to me because of their longevity with CPF members and their previous reviews.

It's always interesting to me to take what appear to be two different lights and see just how different - or alike - they really are. Case in point is my above referenced thread.

So, just a quick look at both lights compared to each other and then a few outdoor shots.

Side by side with the Olight M21 on the left. (I did not include the Turbo Force head in these shots of the lights themselves.)

SST50II012.jpg

In this photo, you can see the forward button on the LumaPower Signature Tactical VX that is used to change the light's modes. I will mention this a little more later:

SST50II013.jpg

SST50II014.jpg

The business end of both lights. As you can see, the reflector on the M21 dwarfs that of the ST VX:

SST50II011.jpg

Above, I mentioned the sideswitch on the ST VX. The light always turns on on max. Then, all you do to cycle through the levels is push the sideswitch (Max>High>Medium>Low>Strobe). IMO, regardless of one's like or dislike of the way the levels themselves break down, this sideswitch at the front of the light is nothing short of perfect.

Now, to be fair, Olight does have a sideswitch located on the tailcap of two of its lights (the M20S and the M30), but the M21 works just like most lights that twist the head to change the level and thus requires a two handed operation (High>Strobe>Low>Medium>High).

Both lights have a last mode memory, but there is a downside about this with both lights. If you turn your light off in Strobe with the M21 so it will turn back on in Strobe, to get the light back to High, you must turn the head right>left three times. With the ST VX, if you turn off the light in Low and then turn it back on again, you get the same pre-flash that was/and still does happen with 4Sevens lights.

Now, some outdoor shots. I took these shots all on manual mode at 2 seconds, F3.5, ISO 100, AWB, and 18mm.

First, towards the shed almost 25 yards from the deck. The first shot in each of these sequences is of the Olight M21. The second shot is of the ST VX, and the third shot of of the SG VX with the Turbo Force head installed:

SST50II005.jpg

SST50II006.jpg

SST50II007.jpg

And now in between the two houses, the same order as above:

SST50II001.jpg

SST50II002.jpg

SST50II003.jpg

Personally, I was amazed at just how wide the Lumapower ST VX really was. There really is no hotspot so to speak with this light using the smaller, regular head. It is somewhat brighter in the center, but not like the M21, which has a pretty clearly defined hotspot.

These pictures also really show why it would appear to people that some lights look "brighter" because of a well defined hotspot, when in reality, they may not be. That is the SST-50 vs say the XP-G R5.

Right out of the box, these lights appear to light up much of the same items within say 50-60 yards. The Olight, however, does have a bit of throw to it. In order for the ST VX to get that same throw, one much change the heads.

All in all though, two great lights, especially if you're looking for a flood type of light with a little throw. For both lights, I paid within $1 of each other using the coupon/refund from the two Marketplace stores and I don't think you would go wrong with either light.

For me, I prefer the Olight simply because you don't have to change the head in order to get some throw. But, with the Turbo Force head on the ST VX, you get a lot more throw than the M21.

It's all in what you want. :)

jcalvert

Enlightened
Hi wacbzz,

Timing for your review couldn't be better as I have had trouble getting much info on the Lumapower Signature Tactical products. The Sidekich switch is what gets my attention and the versatility of getting two very different lights by having two heads available. Although I'm looking more toward the GX model w/ Turbo Force head, there is something in what you wrote that is confusing in regard to last mode memory which is vital to me.

Here's what you wrote and I follow with my questions:

Above, I mentioned the sideswitch on the ST VX. The light always turns on on max. Then, all you do to cycle through the levels is push the sideswitch (Max>High>Medium>Low>Strobe). IMO, regardless of one's like or dislike of the way the levels themselves break down, this sideswitch at the front of the light is nothing short of perfect.

Now, to be fair, Olight does have a sideswitch located on the tailcap of two of its lights (the M20S and the M30), but the M21 works just like most lights that twist the head to change the level and thus requires a two handed operation (High>Strobe>Low>Medium>High).

Both lights have a last mode memory, but there is a downside about this with both lights. If you turn your light off in Strobe with the M21 so it will turn back on in Strobe, to get the light back to High, you must turn the head right>left three times. With the ST VX, if you turn off the light in Low and then turn it back on again, you get the same pre-flash that was/and still does happen with 4Sevens lights.

The preflash when returning to the last mode used after off doesn't really bother me, but the confusion stems from the highlighted text. Can you turn the VX on from both the tailcap switch or the side switch? If so, is last mode memory only available with the tailcap switch? Whereas the side switch automatically starts out on high, no matter what mode it was in when turned off?

Also, is the sideswitch easily activated to turn or off (if that function is available) or at least changing modes (if that's all the sideswitch functions as) by accidentally bumping it or holstering it?

Last question for now relating to the last question, how tactile and hard or easy is it to press the sideswitch?

BTW, I do have the Olight M20S and although I really like the sideswitch on that light and its functionality, I wish the switch was a little larger (closer to the LP Sig Tac switch button, although I understand accidental activation was a concern). I also would prefer if the switch had some greater texture to find it more easily in a pinch. Otherwise, the M20S is one of my favorite, new lights.

Thanks!

John

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Timing for your review couldn't be better as I have had trouble getting much info on the Lumapower Signature Tactical products.

;)

(In all fairness, I've got to admit that I read this...)

Can you turn the VX on from both the tailcap switch or the side switch? If so, is last mode memory only available with the tailcap switch? Whereas the side switch automatically starts out on high, no matter what mode it was in when turned off?

The light can only be turned on/off from the rear switch. The sideswitch is there to only cycle through the levels. As such, no matter what mode you are in when you turn the light off via the rear switch, you will be in the same mode when you turn it back on via the rear switch.

Also, is the sideswitch easily activated to turn or off (if that function is available) or at least changing modes (if that's all the sideswitch functions as) by accidentally bumping it or holstering it?

As for the holstering part of the question, I really have no answer for you. I don't have a holster for the light, nor do I use them.

About changing the modes, the sideswitch on my light is not difficult to push in, but it is not very touchy either. I mean, physically tapping the switch doesn't change the modes. You have to want to change the modes, if you get what I'm saying.

Last question for now relating to the last question, how tactile and hard or easy is it to press the sideswitch?

See the answer above.

BTW, I do have the Olight M20S and although I really like the sideswitch on that light and its functionality, I wish the switch was a little larger (closer to the LP Sig Tac switch button, although I understand accidental activation was a concern). I also would prefer if the switch had some greater texture to find it more easily in a pinch. Otherwise, the M20S is one of my favorite, new lights.

I've taken a couple of photos to try to help you out with the positioning and size of the sideswitch. I don't know how big the switch is on the M20S, but this one seems to be the "right" size - not too big, yet not too small. Plus, this switch is very noticable - meaning it is easy to find "in a pinch" because of its raised status. As for the texture, the switch cover seems to be made out of some type of rubber that to me, has an almost tacky feel to it.

The light in my hand - notice where the sideswitch button is:

SST50III001.jpg

SST50III003.jpg

SST50III004.jpg

I tried to take a photo of the texture of the button, but this was the best that I could come up with:

SST50III005.jpg

The button as compared to a dime:

SST50III002.jpg

I hope these help you out. :twothumbs

jcalvert

Enlightened
;)

(In all fairness, I've got to admit that I read this...)

The light can only be turned on/off from the rear switch. The sideswitch is there to only cycle through the levels. As such, no matter what mode you are in when you turn the light off via the rear switch, you will be in the same mode when you turn it back on via the rear switch.

As for the holstering part of the question, I really have no answer for you. I don't have a holster for the light, nor do I use them.

About changing the modes, the sideswitch on my light is not difficult to push in, but it is not very touchy either. I mean, physically tapping the switch doesn't change the modes. You have to want to change the modes, if you get what I'm saying.

See the answer above.

I've taken a couple of photos to try to help you out with the positioning and size of the sideswitch. I don't know how big the switch is on the M20S, but this one seems to be the "right" size - not too big, yet not too small. Plus, this switch is very noticable - meaning it is easy to find "in a pinch" because of its raised status. As for the texture, the switch cover seems to be made out of some type of rubber that to me, has an almost tacky feel to it.

The light in my hand - notice where the sideswitch button is:

SST50III001.jpg

SST50III003.jpg

SST50III004.jpg

I tried to take a photo of the texture of the button, but this was the best that I could come up with:

SST50III005.jpg

The button as compared to a dime:

SST50III002.jpg

I hope these help you out. :twothumbs

Your answers were a definate help and knowing that the LX/GX have last mode memory clinch my choice for the GX. Based on my other lights, I know I'll like the XPG-R5 LED best and Lumapower stated that the throw using the Turbo Force head is greater with the GX vs. the VX (SST-50).

The description of the side switch and photos were a great help. I compared your dime comparison photo with my M20S switch and they seem to be about the same diameter.

Although I certainly understand Olight's rationale for the design of the M20S's switch, the issue I have with it is that it has a very low profile relative to the tailcap housing. I personally would like to have seen the same type of flat area that the LX/GX have, or protective rails, or some design that would allow the switch to protrude more. If Olight is committed to the current profile, perhaps on the next generation or revision of the current model, they could add some nubs, make it a touch less flat and increase the diameter a bit to make it easier to find blindly, and make the actual switch underneath the button a little easier to press, that would be appealling.

Although I also understand that their goal was to eliminate accidental activation. I still think there could be some compromise. Below is a link to a U-tube video, just in case you haven't paid close attention to the switch's design and function. I noticed how hard Marshall needs to press the switch with the very tip of his thumb in order to get it to operate. This is what I also need to do to get it pressed. Here's the link with the video: http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_23&products_id=1314.

BYW, IMO, Marshall puts out the best, short review videos for lights on the internet.

Last, you mentioned having purchased your two new lights with "wicked good coupons/refunds". Would you mind forwarding those. PM me if you prefer. Thanks for great answers to my questions.

John

Last edited: