Quark Mini AA or Preon 1 for keychain?

jruser

Newly Enlightened
I've been reading these forums for a long time and just decided to register.

I've done a lot of reading on here and haven't seen this asked. Is the Quark Mini AA too big to carry on a keychain (carry keys in my pocket) without being annoying?

I currently carry a Fenix E01 on my keychain and feel like upgrading. I thought about the Preon 1, but the Mini seems to destroy it in run time with a minor increase in thickness. I have having problems picturing the size and want to see if anyone carries the Mini on their keychain, in their pocket. I saw a picture of the Mini by an E01 and the Mini looked huge by comparison.

For the Preon 1, I like the idea of adding a clicky tailcap, but it seems like it would accidentally get clicked in my pocket. Is this an issue?

EDIT: I wanted to mention that I was thinking about getting the titanium version of the Mini. I also need another light that I will use when working in the attic, on the car, on the computer, etc. My previous light for this was the 3AA Maglite LED. This proved to be less than durable and broke recently. Currently using Mini Mag with LED mod, but plan on grabbing a Quark Regular AA and a Quark 2AA Tactical along with the Mini AA or Preon 1. I couldn't decide between the Regular and Tactical so decided just to get both.

Last edited:

traderdell

Newly Enlightened
Too large for me to carry on my keychain. I have the Preon Revo that is a fair bit smaller and that is just right for for me.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Get the Preon Revo.

The only AA light I'd carry on a keychain is my Nitecore EZAA model (Old U.I.).

The clip on the Preon I makes it a great minimalist light for pocket-carry.

Lumenz

Enlightened
The AA is too big to carry on your keychain comfortably. I carry the Preon Revo, which I like better than the Preon I w/clicky that I have.

jruser

Newly Enlightened
Get the Preon Revo.

The only AA light I'd carry on a keychain is my Nitecore EZAA model (Old U.I.).

The clip on the Preon I makes it a great minimalist light for pocket-carry.

From what I can tell, the EZAA was 3.27in x .65in (though I don't see any places stocking this light). The Quark Mini AA is 3.00in x .7in. The smaller diameter is what would make you carry the EZAA but not the Mini?

Everyone is unanimous against AA. I'm looking at the Revo, which is one that I never considered since it was using the old XP-E.

NCT1

Newly Enlightened
I would say always go for AAA lights if your looking to put in on to a key-chain, but even I think a preon is too big for a keychain.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I would wait to get the new Fenix LD05 instead, it is even smaller than your current E01.

He means the new Fenix E05

:whistle:

Oh, and just in case you have not yet gotten the message . . . .

As much as i LOVE my 4Sevens Q-MiNi AA flashlights :kiss:,
they are probably Too Big for keychain use.

Hey, and Welcome to CandlePowerForums ! ! !

:welcome:
_

Monocrom

Flashaholic
From what I can tell, the EZAA was 3.27in x .65in (though I don't see any places stocking this light). The Quark Mini AA is 3.00in x .7in. The smaller diameter is what would make you carry the EZAA but not the Mini?

It's not just a by the numbers sort of thing. The EZ AA feels thinner than it is. Tough to describe. But yes, finding one with the old U.I. will likely mean buying a used example off of the MarketPlace. I bought mine new. One of the last, discounted, older version models from Battery Junction. And I'm glad I got one.

Everyone is unanimous against AA. I'm looking at the Revo, which is one that I never considered since it was using the old XP-E.

Against other AA lights, I agree. Too big for keychain carry. The EZ AA is pushing the upper limits, but still gets my vote if increased runtime on one cell is important.

Just like sheer numbers, don't let the bin be the deciding factor. Beam profile is far more useful.

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
I've been carrying a MiNi AA Aluminum on my keychain since they came out months ago. I like the aluminum for the reduced weight over the Ti. I don't find the size to be a problem, personally.

That being said, with the high efficiency of the Preon ReVo, I'd be tempted to go for that if I didn't already have the MiNi AA.

MarkW

Newly Enlightened
I'm in agreement with those who find the Mini AA too big on a key ring. I have two Minies--they are a great light--but for a keychain I would recommend AAA. You might consider the A3-EOS.

Newly Enlightened
+1 for preon revo, it 100% keychain light IMHO plus it is regulated compared with preon I ( not regulated ).

I got preon revo SS and i could say it would be perferct keychain light. Twist operation is very smooth and easy ( compared with my Maratac AAA ), knurling is great provide good grip on my hand. Plus it's have relatively slim dimension. On my experience, i found AA/CR123 keychain light is too big for keychain light.

Last edited:

chenko

Enlightened
I'm so disappointed with my miniAA I wouldn't advise anyone to buy it except for a light you don't intend to use often, such as a very compact "survival tin light". I have the Preon too, and it is fine.

Newly Enlightened
@Chenko,

I'm just wondering what kind problem did you have on your Mini AA? Could you tell us more detail about it?

Hfili

Newly Enlightened
My personal favorite keychain light is the photon rex. It is plenty bright enough for those need a light now moments. It has variable settings from barely noticeable to shockingly bright, and good UI once you figure out the different modes. Plus, I hardly notice it on my keychain or in my pocket. The rechargeable feature is what really sold me on it. I love using it to suck the last little bit out of all of my various batteries before disposal.

chenko

Enlightened
@Chenko,

I'm just wondering what kind problem did you have on your Mini AA? Could you tell us more detail about it?

I'll try to summarize:

The twisting action got very hard after just a couple weeks of use: I cleaned the threads carefully, re-applied sicon-grease (whatever it is called) and even replaced o-ring but it is still as hard as it got before treatments. Very annoying, makes one-hand operation very hard to accomplish.

Picking low level (the first one) on first attempt and in general selecting levels is hard because and unprecise: the head is susceptible to "bending contact" (sorry, I'm not English and don't know how to describe it better) as it gets closer to be fully tightened, and so it makes one or more out-of-control contacts selecting levels in succession. This is probably the most disappointing issue I have with the miniAA.

It sometimes doesn't even turn on, unless I twist the head and tighten it again.

Anodization ain't really superb quality, but that is of lesser importance to me as I intend lights as tools and I don't mind them getting some "love scars".

All in all I'm not satisfied, but I'll try to have it replaced in the hope that the one that comes back to me works properly.

Zendude

Enlightened
It all depends on what's important to you.

I've carried the MiNi AA on my keychain since it came out and I love it.

The increased runtime and the ability to use AA or AAA batteries makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

The size isn't as obtrusive as you might think but I would recommend using a lithium primary as the weight of the battery is what you'll notice the most.

chenko

Enlightened
Oh yeah, and did I mention it whines like there's no tomorrow? :shakehead Not for me...