Maelstrom G5, EagleTac T20C2 or Olight M20/21

Platil

Newly Enlightened
Since four flashlights is not enough for me, I want a new one. And I am wondering if you could help me with the choice :)

It is going to be for work use, so it is very important that the light is durable, and does stand against some beating and dirt. I want the following:

-The best possible throw
- Compact size
- MUST be a holster with it or to buy as accessories
- 18650 compatible (AW's 18650 2900 mAh is a good choice?)
- Price does not matter as long as it fits my demands

And therefor I have ended up with either Maelstrom G5, EagleTac T20C2 or Olight M20.

If anyone else thinks that another light that its better feel free to post mate!

Could anyone help out a fellow flashlightoholic? :)

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is an easy one. Out of your list the Maelstrom by far has more throw than the others. The M21 actually has a bit more flood but the M21 has no throw at all. The M20 has a little more throw than the T20C2 w/ XP-G but less than the T20C2 with XR-E dropin. I own (or have owned) all these and the Maelstrom out throws them all. The Maelstrom also comes with a holster and pocket clip. Flat top 18650 batteries do not work in the Maelstrom (somebody said they do in the new UI version - I don't know). I would get the Radilast 2900 to be safe because it has a button top and there are just too many lights that don't work with flat top batteries. The Redilast is the same panasonic cell that AW uses. There are multiple reviews of this new battery vs. the AW in the battery forum.

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
Measured by Selfbuilt:
EagleTac T20C2 with R2 drop in: 14 000 lux
4Sevens Maelstrom G5: 17 100 lux

If you put a R2 drop in in the EagleTac you will get pretty good throw, but the Maelstrom will outthrow it! :)
If you was thinking of the Eagletac T20C2 MkII with a R5, you will only get about 9 000 lux.

The Maelstrom will easily outthrow the Olight M20 and M21 too :)

Platil

Newly Enlightened
Thank you guys! Gonna order a Maelstrom G5 now with Redilast 2900 batteries!

Edit:

Where do they sell Redilast batteries? And what charger do you recommend for them?

Edit 2:

Seems like I need to order flashlight from one site, batteries from another and a charger from a third. Does anyone know if the AW 18650 2900 mAh fits the Maelstrom G5? If not, what kind of battery and charger do you recommend preferred from the same site.

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you guys! Gonna order a Maelstrom G5 now with Redilast 2900 batteries!

Edit:

Where do they sell Redilast batteries? And what charger do you recommend for them?

Edit 2:

Seems like I need to order flashlight from one site, batteries from another and a charger from a third. Does anyone know if the AW 18650 2900 mAh fits the Maelstrom G5? If not, what kind of battery and charger do you recommend preferred from the same site.

Redilast batteries have a link in the marketplace to buy them (cpfmarketplace.com). You can also just google Redilast.

The best lithium Ion cradle charger is widly known to be the pila. I'm fairly certain you can find the Pila charger and Maelstrom at the same place.

Platil

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I found out where to buy the batteries, but I have googled a bit, and dont find any dealer that sells the Maelstrom and Pila charger at the same site

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I found out where to buy the batteries, but I have googled a bit, and dont find any dealer that sells the Maelstrom and Pila charger at the same site

You know what? I think your right. There are only 3 places that I know of selling the Pila IBC charger and none of them are 4sevens dealers.

Platil

Newly Enlightened
Ill search a little more, but its only button top battery then thats works. And again, thanks for your help mate! :)

Platil

Newly Enlightened
Flashlight is now sent from the site I ordered from. Man that was fast! I also ordered 4 Redilast 2900 batteries from tactical hid, and Pila IBC charger from another site. Cant wait until the packages comes to me :D

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely a good choice. You won't be disappointed ! Picked up a G5 when they first came out and I love it. The throw is just short of ridiculous with more than an ample amountof spill.

Last edited:

PayBack

Enlightened
How usable is the spot at say 50 metres? My A8 for instance throws great, but nearly useless at close range due to the spot being too small.

Platil

Newly Enlightened
A little update here, I have received my light for a couple days ago and tested it lately.

One thing, the light rocks! I don't think I could get a light that would fit my use better! The only minus is that the holster that followed is very tight, and you need to screw the head to the "off" position, if not the light gets turned on when you have the holster flap over. Apart from that, the light is totally the new king in my collection!

whomever

Newly Enlightened
"if not the light gets turned on when you have the holster flap over."

I asked 4sevens about that. They replied that the holster is intended for bezel down carry (and, indeed, closing the flap doesn't turn it on when bezel down).

Platil

Newly Enlightened
Indeed you have right! When you have the beezel down in the holster, the flap closes nicely and the light does not get turned on by accident. :D