Which pill for DBS or CL1H aspherical?

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
I need your experience about DBS and CL1H aspherical...

Which pill for better throw results in aspherical mode ?

Appreciate your answers.

Thanks.

I have 1 SM R2 pill...

lightforce2

Enlightened
Best throw will be achieved with an XR-E R2 emitter not the XP-G's,
Your pill should be the right one as long as its one of the 1.2 amp ones and not an older 1 amp pill, I recently put a 1.4 amp board in to an r2 pill and works very well
For multi mode I favour the 3SD pills which are also 1.2 amps

cheers

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
I hoped U will reply :)

According to their page 1SM I ordered is 1,2 amps

Now I need your experience as I know U have all lights I am interested in.

U have modded lights but maybe U left stock pills for each.

Stock A9 asph VS stock DBS asph

Which has better throw according to your experience?

One more...

DBS 3SD runtime? Did U paint DBS pill holder in asph head in black?

I bought ext tube for 1SM(2×18650) and get about 1,30 hours full brightness.

When U put 2 × rcr 123 inside it it has less brightness(although they claim that it should be same) than on 2×18650 so I am bit disappointed with it because for best results U must use 2×18650.

I also tried 4 × RCR 16340... It swallows 4 rcr and that is wow(most flashlights would burn on that voltage) but same brightnes as on 2 × 18650 and it gets hot pretty quickly so I will not use that configuration.

Last edited:

lightforce2

Enlightened
I dont have an asph. lens for my DBS, so I can't compare the A9 vs DBS in aspherical configuration.

I still have a stock A9 (1amp) and a direct drive A9 (1.8amp) and the direct drive version is incredibly bright when compared to the stock A9.
My other A9's now have AMC7135 circuit boards @ 1.4amps, a great improvement!!

I would guess a stock DBS asph. would be brighter than a stock A9 asph., but only by a little bit.
The DBS with an R2 emitter will have greater surface brightness when being driven at 1.2amps as compared to the A9 which is a Q5 driven at 1amp.

The aspheric's focal point is closer to the emitter in the A9 than the DBS, so potentialy the A9 lens can collect more light than the DBS so therefore increasing the emitter's surface brightness in the A9 will result in a brighter throwing light than the DBS. I think another CPF member Kengps has demonstrated this

cheers

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
I have both of them...

Well stoc DBS is a little brighter but that is my opinion, and have more floody light due to pill holder in aspherical head that reflects light coming from emitter (put probably if I will color that pill holder it will be like A9)

1SM driver running in mine dbs...
Note that DBS is only brighter when U put 2 × 18650 inside...

When U put 2× rcr 16340 I think they are same in throw or even A9 is better I can not decide...

But as U said if A9 would be driven hard as DBS and have R2 pill It would kill DBS in throw for sure. It would be closer to first edition of deft that had 100 000 lux 1 meter readings.

So I really don't understand A9 manufacturer... They put R5 as special edition to get less throw instead they have just improved driver (1,2 A) and R2 pill and it would became second farthest throwing led flashlight in a world that can easily throw usable light on more than 300 meters I would dare to say 400 meters...

But overall DBS is much better flashlight although build quality is same.

How much your A9 throws in RL? (usable throw so that U can clearly identify target)

lightforce2

Enlightened
So I really don't understand A9 manufacturer... They put R5 as special edition to get less throw instead they have just improved driver (1,2 A) and R2 pill and it would became second farthest throwing led flashlight in a world that can easily throw usable light on more than 300 meters I would dare to say 400 meters...
I totally agree, I think Tiablo should have made a "2nd Gen" version of the A9 specificaly built for mounting to general hunting & varmint rifles, there's a market there. I'm looking for a couple of more A9's to mod for 2 hunters but they are now hard to get, what are Tiablo doing!!:thinking:

How much your A9 throws in RL? (usable throw so that U can clearly identify target)
depends upon the target species. I regulary shoot rabbits at 120m with the .17HMR in excellent clarity,
When we were culling sambar deer we would ID them 100% at close to 300m, but always got much closer for the shot, and most were under 100m due to being in a lot of vegetation

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
Stock Tiablo, DBS are good(excellent) up to 200 meters...

We were hunting wild boars on 200 meters distance with no problem...

Of course most of shots are on distances smaller than 100 meters...

Friend overall DBS is much better flashlight...

DBS advantages over Tiablo(stock aspherical versions):

- Upgradeable
- Firmer aspherical head
- It has extension tube and U can run it on 2×18650 or 3 × 123 (depends on tube U took)
- much better switch
- smaller than tiablo, but that is not so important (when used without ext tube)
- better heat transfer

Tiablo only advantage over DBS
- better lenses in aspherical head (running on 2× rcr123 with Q5 emitter on 0,9 amps driver is almost same in throw like DBS aspheric with R2 emitter on 1,2 amps driver running on 2 × 18650)

I don't know if someone modded DBS aspheric? I am interested what U can get if U mod that...

Tiablo needs better switch, better driver and emitter and more firmer aspherical head(it is loose on a threads when on best focusing point) to win DBS...

What I noticed also that Tiablo heat transfer concentrates on driver part while DBS leads temperature out of emitter towards aspherical head. I think that is excellent...

I was a big fan of Tiablo A9 (still am) But I would tell a great lie if I would say that Tiablo is better than DBS because it ain't (at least for now)

But Tiablo manufacturers with just little effort could beat DBS easily...