Flashlights with CSM/CBM-360-W?

jedirock

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking into buying a flashlight that has a CSM-360-W or CBM-360-W LED, but there don't seem to be too many flashlight companies out there making them. I've already got an Olight SR90 with an SST-90 in it, and while it's bright, I want more light. Is there anyone making these lights in quantity, or do I have to ask someone to custom make one for me?

Also, is this even feasible in a light with the heat output, or should I be looking into something like an HID or Xenon light instead? Price isn't too much of an issue for me, provided it's not insanely high.

Flaptipulon

Newly Enlightened
have a look here: http://feilong.us/goods.php?id=41

I think I'm gonna wait a bit longer and see what else comes along. I have the SR90 as well and I really like it. Now I can't wait to see what eventually comes along with the CSM360 although I think it will be awhile before there's any kind of selection of production (stock) lights using that led.
As for the feasability.. I'm not sure but as you must already know with the SR90 needing 6x18650's to give it the output and runtime is has, not to mention the massive amount of heat it produces.. I'd say lights using this thing will probably be pretty crazy. AFAIK, so be it! :devil: I know I'll want one just as bad as anyone else..

jedirock

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Glenn7. The 6K definitely looks interesting, but I didn't realize the CSM-360-W was more of a flooder than even the SST-90. If I were wanting a light with more throw, would I have to look to a multiple SST-90 light, or something else?

jellydonut

Enlightened
Isn't the CSM-360 just a jumbo MC-E type LED, that is, four SST-90 dies on one substrate? It's meant for fixed lighting I think, a proper flooder.

Multiple SST-90s are not going to give you more throw, just more light than what you currently have at the same range.

If you want more throw and more light, just make the jump to high-end HID and/or incandescent. My Polarion might have been expensive (bought it used though) but it has cured me of any desire to buy all these 'high end LED' lights I used to drool over. So in a way it might have saved me money. :eek: Ridiculous, no?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think these are the QUAD SST-90's right?????

I actually saw one by the LEDGuy.com or The Sandwich Shoppe.com, very big and they come with a huge copper star.

A single SSR-90 on my 2lbs copper 2D Mag at just 5.88A gets hot, so if you have 4 of them in a similar package = smoking hot. Unless; they keep the current of each emitter at around 3A then I can see it feasible.

I can build my own for around $200 right now with the parts I have...Maybe I need to do so:whistle:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wayne @ the Sanwich Shoppe brought it that time ;)

he was driving the array @ 6 A, since they're in series, 6A per die.
it was mounted on a cpu cooler and actively cooled.

jedirock

Newly Enlightened
If you want more throw and more light, just make the jump to high-end HID and/or incandescent. My Polarion might have been expensive (bought it used though) but it has cured me of any desire to buy all these 'high end LED' lights I used to drool over. So in a way it might have saved me money. :eek: Ridiculous, no?

Definitely interested in a HID now, after a bit of research. Will probably order one by the end of the week, but I just need to decide between a Polarion X1 and a Maxabeam at this point. I have a line on a discounted Polarion, and I'm just waiting to hear back from Maxabeam on a distributor I can contact for pricing.

jellydonut

Enlightened
$1800 for an ARC mania multi-die light? That's almost as much as a Polarion. :shakehead Let's see

-multi-die LED:
-large emission surface, less surface brightness. Four large LED dice are not conducive for throw.

Polarion HID has..

-instant strike and hot restrike metal halide HID lamp, which means it does away with almost all disadvantages of HID (warmup time, waiting time between runs) and retains its advantages:
-An arc of light as opposed to four huge semiconductor dice has a very small emission surface and extremely high surface brightness, mated with the Polarion reflector it provides awesome throw.
-Color rendition, while not the same as an incandescent, is excellent with metal halide HID lamps and way better than ordinary LEDs.
-The wide spectrum emission of an HID lamp also lets you use color and IR filters unlike LEDs.

Of course it only has two levels, docile off and face-melting on, whereas apparently the ARC mania light will have 8 levels. That's plus one in the LED camp and minus one in the HID camp. Although, if you're looking to buy a large light with a handle on it for the 'map reader mode' I'm not sure what to tell you. :nana:

The Polarion PH-40 has been out for several years and has a proven track record in service with serious users all around the world. The 'Solid ARC 1' appears to be a CAD drawing on the internet as of Oct 2010.

Then there's the companies. Ken J. Good of Polarion USA is registered on these forums and provides Gene Malkoff-levels of personal customer service. Last time I saw ARC mania on these forums he was trying to scam users in the Customs & Mods sale section. :fail:

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you have ever had an arcmania light you would understand as they are one of the best if not the best made lights out there.
his lights are so well made for handling heat - not to mention that his lights (not all) have screw in light engine/pill's - so they can keep up with technology - and most of his led's he uses are unobtainium and are brighter than most others out there. also they are so well made that they could be used as a dive light (tho they are not sold as such)

turning an HID off and on in short bursts shorten's the ballast and bulb life by heaps - so how much is a new bulb for a polarion? (not to mention 2-3000 hours of bulb life before you have to buy another)
also if you drop an HID the bulb can :poof:
yes an HID will out throw his light but in any other way of light color, quality of flood and as you said 8 levels of light it is a better light.

I guess for me I read from what you are saying is you like the Polarion as its a production light with its merits (the nissan GTR of lights) and I like the solid arc1 for its custom attributes (the bugatti veyron of lights)

of course this is only my opinion.

jedirock

Newly Enlightened
Well, I ordered a Polarion X1 yesterday. Shipped today, should be here in 1-2 days. I hope USPS can rush it here for before the weekend, but I'm not holding my breath. Perhaps a CSM-360-W light is in my future, but it'll probably be the far future. Thanks for all your input guys.

jellydonut

Enlightened
AFAIK the X1 has the same reflector and bulb as the PH-40.. So I know you're gonna be happy with it. ;)

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes i have to admit its a bit :hairpull: :candle: :mecry: but it will come, he has two thirds of the components ready to go no use :rant: will just have to :buddies: while you go :hahaha:

well I need them for work and buying lights are a 100% tax deduction for me so I am happyish to wait.

the VP2000 I have with (SST90 dome removed) a 2.5' fivemega reflector IMO will give the polarion a run for its money and it only cost me $300, and it does to my eyes throw as far as a POB HID.

I'm getting one of these too - but gotta admit the polarion has tempted me many a time :whistle: :D :tinfoil:

Last edited:

Flaptipulon

Newly Enlightened
I'm getting one of these too - but gotta admit the polarion has tempted me many a time :whistle: :D :tinfoil:
If I had a nickel for every time I've looked at that one... I sooooo want one of those too but I'm holding out for now. Feel free to pm me and let me know your impressions when you get it if you wouldn't mind.:whistle:

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I had a nickel for every time I've looked at that one... I sooooo want one of those too but I'm holding out for now. Feel free to pm me and let me know your impressions when you get it if you wouldn't mind.:whistle:

no probs mate - I did have one and sold it and sorry I did - the next one I am getting I am trying to get Wayne to put colminators instead of reflectors making it have twice the throw.
they are quite floody as in light everything up out to 50 meters - here are some beam shots I took - also this is the toughest light out there of its size/output - see how thick the walls are if you think a maglight is a weapon then you should feel this baby :D