Cleaning Flashlight + Deoxit Help

belomeclone

Enlightened
So I have to go to Radio Shack and buy some Deoxit, put that on the q-tip, and swab up inside it where the battery connects. Then I take off the O-Ring. Then I alcohol up and clean the threads (Do I also clean the body, or do I not want alcohol near the contacts). Then I lube up the O-ring (and the threads?) (Do I put the O-ring (it's very small) in a bag with some thermal grease?) THEN I put the O-ring back on and it should all work?

Is that the directions I should follow? Do I also have to lube the entire interior of the flashlight up? That's what I've got so far, any advice on fine-tuning it? And while I know enough that Deoxit is what to get (though not sure which of the two in the two-pack to use), any certain grease to get (Superlube?) or just get whatever?

What has been my guide (last updated in 2007) says to not get the Radioshack Double Pack because it is aerosol and contains only 5% of the product. Is this advice to be followed? Also, the Double Pack comes with Deoxit and Deoxit Gold. What is Deoxit Gold used for?

Anyway, I have the general idea, right?

bob4apple

Enlightened
Deoxit is great for getting corrosion off of electrical contact parts. Much better than alcohol, which works, but you won't need it if you use deoxit.

Deoxit gold is mainly for keeping corrosion from coming back. Get the tubes, not the spray (spray is messy and wasteful for flashlights).

There is a sticky thread about lube (you'd think it would be a slippery thread, but no).

Happy cleaning (I usually finish with a coat or two of carwax on the body- looks great!).

belomeclone

Enlightened
You have to order the tubes online, right? The dual-pack at Radio Shack is just the spray I think. Which is a shame. Where would they sell the tubes locally?

Shawn L

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for posting this thread!! I just cleaned all my Surefire's except for my X400.

BigDogg795

Newly Enlightened
Can I use Deoxit to remove the remnants of an exploded battery out of my maglight?

If not, is there something better to use? I'd rather not just toss it away, and it does work, but I just would feel better it is were closer to 100%, you know what I mean?

belomeclone

Enlightened
Can I use Deoxit to remove the remnants of an exploded battery out of my maglight?

If not, is there something better to use? I'd rather not just toss it away, and it does work, but I just would feel better it is were closer to 100%, you know what I mean?

You should be able to.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/care.htm

I figure if you follow the "Batteries Leaked" directions it should be similar. The guy who wrote that seems a little on the extremer side, but no one here seems to have an opinion. I guess I'll look on Amazon for some non-spray Deoxit tonight.

belomeclone

Enlightened
Uh, Deoxit Liquid with Needle Applicator, on Amazon, for Thirty Dollars!!!

Are we sure I can't go with the spray bottle at Radio Shack for 11 dollars?

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Craig's Deoxit is a contact cleaner and rejuvinator. You can use that or alcohol.
Craig's ProGold is a contact protector.
I would personally avoid the aerosol variety, too much wastage and not enough of the solution in the can as you mentioned earlier. You can get the kit in liquid form in a bottle, needle nose applier and pen applicator. I just use alcohol and don't bother with deoxit, I do use ProGold though.

belomeclone

Enlightened
$4.99- free shipping

squeeze tube deoxit at

4sevens.com

Thanks a ton Bob. Just got a two pack for eight bucks. It should last me a while.

Now all I need is to buy a cheap toothbrush and some silicone lubricant!! Question, do I lube up the interior of the flashlight too?

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would personally avoid the aerosol variety, too much wastage and not enough of the solution in the can as you mentioned earlier.
I use the aerosol type of contact cleaner ... I use Servisol Super 10 ... I put a quick squirt into a very small container and apply it with a good quality camel-hair water-colour brush ... For serious contact cleaning , I use a Morcol glass-fibre burnishing brush first before the Servisol.

Seems to work OK for my needs.

purelite

Enlightened
It is true . The Radio Shack 2pack is one of the biggest screwjobs going.

stay away from it!!! I know cause I got screwed. I maybe got enough out of it to clean and treat 3 lights .:scowl::shakehead

billcushman

Enlightened
Caig Laboratories makes premium contact cleaning/preservation chemicals recommended by manufacturers such as Fluke, Hewlett Packard, Tektronix, etc.

The following link will answer many of your questions.
http://store.caig.com/

These products are expensive, but are generally regarded as among the finest of their type.

adept1

Newly Enlightened
WD-40 for cleaning the exterior and battery tube if needed. De-Oxit red for cleaning contacts, and gold for treating them after. I'm using Manitou Prep-M grease for lubing the threads/o-ring, but I'm looking to get something lighter weight like Nyogel for smoother action.