Newbie seeking first mod advice - 3D Mag 5xR2 Emitter

edbutler

Newly Enlightened
Hey All, first of all id like to say i've loved perusing all the information on these forums. There is soo much information, however id like a little input if you could on my first project.

Id like to Mod a Mag 3D to make it more 'modern.' This torch has plenty of memories having had it since i was just a kid (15+ years ago!) so would like to give it a new lease of life. I'm pretty good with a Dremel, soldering iron and multimeter etc, so am excited for a little challenge,

The Emitter im thinking is the 5xCREE R2 LED on DX, as it looks like a monster and shouldn't require too much work to fit the head. I don't know about the 5Mode one, however it is probably useful on 'Low' Mode - shame you cant get rid of the strobe/SOS modes!?

My main sticking point is Batteries! Id like to keep the torch at its original length, so that leaves me with the choice of 3xD NIMH (Probably 10Ah ones?) or three 2xAA-D Adapters (6x2100mAh LSD NIMH AA's total). I personally think the latter would be more than enough and would probably cope with high current better (due to parallel pairs), but any other suggestions?

Also can the standard Mag switch assembly cope with ~3A draw of this Emitter?

Any thoughts/opinions would be much appreciated... Many Thanks :twothumbs

4D223

Newly Enlightened
Hi and welcome to CPF:welcome:The drop in you are referring to is pretty popular but I believe it requires a little bit of metal removal to fit properly in the "M*g" head. The input voltage range is 2.6 - 8.4 ( I think) so you can go either way with your batt setup. I like the simpicity of 3 X D cells but it is personal choice. Good luck with your build and keep looking through CPF for more info. The Mag switch as I understand can handle up to 10 amp
Pete.

Last edited:

edbutler

Newly Enlightened
Thanks very much for the welcome and info 4D!

Yeah will probably stick with high capacity D's then, keepiing the first one simple... I was gonna ask why people say M@g/m*g etc but managed to find that one :)

dupper

Newly Enlightened
I'm running my 5xR2 on a NiMMh magcharger battery pack (5 1/2 D cells) 6 volts and 3500mah. It's working well for me, haven't done any runtime tests, but i've used it a few minutes a night to scan my back yard for three weeks with out any noticable loss.

I have the 5 mode and find the high/med/low useful, the strobe and sos I could do with out. I think you will be impressed with this mod, I was. :)