Maglite rechargable vs Ultrastinger

grappler50

Newly Enlightened
I need some help regarding these two lights. They both seen to be acceptional flash lights but I can't decide which one is the better light. I want the best light for my money and have narrowed it down to the mag rechargeable or the ultrastinger. Does any one have any advise regarding these two lights? I will be using it for camping and general purpose use around the house. I will be replacing my 5 cell maglite with one of these two lights.

Thanks Kevin

D

**DONOTDELETE**

These are two of the finest examples of general illumination/navigation rechargeable flashlights available today. While similar in scope of usage, they mainly differ in girth and throw (the ability to project the spot).

The slimmer profile of the Ultrastinger is due to the diameter of the battery pack compartment that carries 5, Size C, rechargeable Nickel-Cadmium batteries. The bulkier Magcharger carries 5, Size 1/2 D rechargeable Nickel-Cadmium batteries that accounts for its larger battery pack compartment. It is about 35% wider than the Ultrastinger's. It also allows for greater runtime.

The Magcharger's throw is about 70 yards in tighest focus due to its broader diameter hotspot. The Ultrastinger will reach 100 yards and beyond due to its ability to focus its output into a tight, fencing foil-like beam that results in a quite small hotspot. Where the Magcharger illuminates an entire large 4-door sedan, the Ultrastinger will place a two-foot diameter spot on the driver side window. (Results may vary with ambient lighting.)

There are many other differences and I can write enough about them to fill 20 8.5" X 11" pages.

If used for "...camping and general purpose use around the house," I would go with the Magcharger fo the greater light output in flood (wide focus) and runtime. The charging cradle is likely to be the very best of the current crop of rechargeable lights. It allows instantaneous placement of the light body in any position in the cradle because the contact point covers the entire circumference of the battery compartment. That's the silver rings just aft of the switch.

2dogs

Enlightened
I've used a Magcharger for about 4 years now and a US about 2 months. As we do a lot of camping also I can safely say the Mag is better for that app. Best charger sleeve, period. Flood beam much better than the US. Keep in mind the charging time required for either, don't camp without a non-rechargeable of some kind.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
My uncle has a Magcharger. It is very bright. Has good throw. I have no idea how long he has had it, or if he's on the original battery and bulb.I would guess 15 years+. I think I'd have heard if he had any problems. He likes it a lot!

My buddy has an SL35X. Magcharger size or even larger. It is QUITE bright. It is right at two years old and is all original. He wouldn't own anything else.

My cousin the LEO has an SL Stinger that is well worn and at least ten years old. He is near retirement and serves in a largely ceremonial role. He could be swayed to something else I think.... if he cared to.

Based on what I want in a rechargeable flashlight, I ordered a Streamlight Stinger HP. I feel it is the best compromise for me of size, output, and quality.

Now if I wanted a big *** light I would probably go Magcharger. BUT... could one not run a less power consuming bulb in a Streamlight and get longer runtime?

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
My choice would be the US, due to its smaller diamiter being easier to grasp & the lighter weight. TX

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i would get a us also...i have one actually. i love it. and it isn't a mag!

2dogs

Enlightened
Consider following another thread re Mag. Maybe a SL-20 would be better. If Mag treats its competitors the way I think they do I won't touch another of their products. Maybe someone can direct grappler50 better than I.

bwcaw

Enlightened
I would go with the US in a heartbeat. I have had one of these for about a year now, and it goes with me every time I walk out the door at night. It is a wonderfull light. It is relatively small, and light weight, it is also cheaper (I think) initially to purchase than the Mag. I have never had any experience with the mag, but from what I hear it is an exceptionally realiable light, and from what I see my local cops using, I would say it is quite popular. However, you must realise that the US has only been on the market for about two years, and has yet to grab a large following like the Mag, but make no mistake (yeah, I know
rolleyes.gif
) it is every bit as good as the mag.

Don't forget the flashaholic's creed: "when in doubt, get them both!"
grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by PlayboyJoeShmoe:
Based on what I want in a rechargeable flashlight, I ordered a Streamlight Stinger HP. I feel it is the best compromise for me of size, output, and quality.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Joe,

I have a US and was thinking about getting the HP. I look forward to your review. Do you or anyone happen to know runtimes on the US, MagCharger and SL HP?

Brightnorm

SuRgE

Enlightened
I have the US. One plus not mentioned here for the Mag is its impact ability. If the light must also be used as a defensive club then the mag will out do the US.

I love my US but it feels a bit light and short if I had to use it PeRcUsSiVeLy. My Old 3d mag is more suitable for that purpose.

Blackbeagle

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to be a wet blanket, but...

I have a MagCharger. Great light but I'd NEVER take it camping or hiking. One hour on a charge, not enough to get you out of the woods. Extra batt packs available, but no piggyback charger.

Big, heavy - think 4D. The heat it generates is serious; they had to use a special glass. Be careful you don't leave it on and lying down unless you put in on non-burnable material.

For general use around the house, I'd think either would be too bright. Think of having two to three automotive headlights in your hand. Open a cabinet under the sink, stick your head and the light in and turn it on. Stay there for 15 minutes while you simulate changing the drain pipe. Get a little hot? The bright light bouncing off everything and glaring give you a headache?

I'm not saying the Magcharger or the US are bad lights, just that you have to realize they are designed for max brightness/throw. The downside is their size, weight, heat, and even their brightness at close range. If you need them, these lights are among the kings for their purposes.

If you need a decently bright, rechargeable, very high quality, high value light, I'd consider the Streamlight Stinger. Smaller, lighter, cheaper, adjustable beam, has piggyback chargers available for it so you can have several charged packs on call. The Poly Stinger may be more resistant to damage and even comes in different colors. They have a XT version if you want a tail switch. Holsters easily available. I have a Stinger and carry it every day. Ever since I got it, I retired the heavy Magcharger to bedside duty.

That said, if I wake up in the middle of the night to some sound and want to be able to identify, blind and if necessary bash it, I reach for the Magcharger first. Sometimes bigger, heavier and brighter is better. Just have to keep in mind the question - what do you plan to use it for.

Here's hoping whatever you get makes you happiest.

grappler50

Newly Enlightened
Now that I have had both lights for a while, I would have to say that I like the magcharger better for my application. The 1/4 turn beam adjustment is great and the brightness is comparable to the us. The us is brighter and is a great light but my first choice is the magcharger.

thanks to everone for there input.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an US and my cousin has a Mag. I went with the US because it's smaller size fit my hand better than the howitzer sized Mag. I have a 3 cell and 4 cell Mag that just sit in a corner because they are massive. My C-celled Mag mods get the most use because of the handier size.

Size always isn't everything. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Since we were spotlighting tree tops to see who could throw farther (typical guy thing) I don't know if the Mag has the wide spill of useable light like the US. Since my HD modded Mag has decent spill I think it should as well.

In my area both are the same retail ($99 at Galyan's) so it came down to which fit my hand better.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Ultra Stinger. It was my back up light in the patrol car. I thought it was a kick butt bright light. I used to think it was daylight on a stick.
After hanging out here for a while I discovered the PILA GL4 or Wolf-Eyes M90.
Rechargeable, 135 lumens with 9v lamp, 80 minutes of run
has LED tail cap (perfect for camping or around the house) LED has 90 hours of run. Small, light, bright. I purchased one of the 12v lamps, same run time and lumens for the Rechargeable, 190 lumens with DL123's (4) and has a 45 minute run. LEDS are pumped up from 5 to 7 lumens with same run time.

I think it's the finest rechargeable available today. I also have a Surefire 8NX, it has the B90 blues.