Battery types

cheftothestars

Newly Enlightened
Hi

This is my first post here.

Now Im sure theres already some info on here but....

What the main differences between the types of battery

NiMH
Lithiums

Im a bit confused as to which battery to use in AA and AAA for a rechargable.

Which Brands are better?

Thanks

Chef

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Chef,

Welcome to CPF.

You can get started by visiting www.batteryuniversity.com and spending some time reading there. After that you can visit the sticky at the top of this page and go through that information.

That should take care of the general basics, and then you can get to your specific questions.

Tom

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
NiMh is the cell chemistry that you're used to seeing as a drop-in replacement for your regular alkaline AA and AAA cells. It comes in a low-self-dicharge (LSD or "precharged") variety and the normal or regular. LSD cells are almost always a better bet.

Lithium-ion is a chemistry that you'll never accidentally buy in a store, you pretty much have to order it off the web. It has a much higher voltage than NiMh or Alkaline cells and so you should never mess with it until you've had a chance to read about its ins and outs. You should never use these cells in a regular light unless you've verified that the light can handle it.

--flatline

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF, chef! :thumbsup:

Now Im sure theres already some info on here but....

Yeah, that's a pretty good guess.:crackup:

To get you started though, NiMH cells are rechargeable (secondary) nickel based cells that pretty much have replaced NiCd cells and are superior in most ways (but not all). They have a "nominal" (meaning under a typical load) voltage of 1.20 Volts. This "nominal" bit is of importance when comparing to alkaline cells, which while rated at "1.5 Volts", often under even a medium load have the same voltage. Under high current loads, the NiMH cell will almost always maintain a higher voltage.

"Primary" (meaning non rechargeable) lithium cells come in a variety of chemistries in which the voltage can range from 1.5 to 3.7 volts. In the AAA and AA size, the most common are the 1.5 Volt variety, such as the Energizer L91, L92, EA91, and EA92 cells. The Energizer primary AAA and AA cells mentioned, have an open circuit voltage (OC) which is a bit higher than alkaline cells, generally around 1.7 Volts. This voltage advantage generally holds up under load as well, when compared to alkaline cells, and is sometimes a problem with some voltage sensitive devices, particularly incandescent bulbs, when more than one cell is used, as the voltage difference grows larger, the more cells that are used in a series application.

You didn't mention them, but there are also lithium ion cells (Li-Ion) which are a secondary (rechargeable) cell. These are very different than lithium primary cells (eg. they contain no lithium, only lithium within the chemical compounds used in the cell's components), and should not be confused, and much more care should be taken when using and maintaining these chemistry cells. In addition, there are many different chemistries of Li-Ion cells, 3 or 4 are common on these Forums (LiCo, LiMn, LiFe being the three most common, and also a nickel cobalt chemistry). The voltages of these cells range from 3.2-4.35 Volts/cell.

Hope this helps a bit. A good source to learn more about secondary (rechargeable) cells, is at Battery University. Also the stickies and whatnot at the top of this forum can provide you with additional information here on CPF.

Dave

EDIT: Oh, and yeah, the mods and administrators are pretty slick here, as well.:naughty:

Last edited:

yard candle

Newly Enlightened
Hi Chef;
:welcome:
I've learning from the guys for the last couple of days and finally pulled the trigger yesterday on a new key chain light. The following is what i ended up with but its just my choice and no one else. Just thought you might be interested in what I ended up with after all the help here.

The keychain light is;<<http://www.amazon.com/ITP-Light-A1-EOS-Flashlight/dp/B003BXGDMW/ref=pd_ys_iyr2>>

The batteries; <<http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.44779>>

The charger is ;<<http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5965>>

That comes to about $34.58 all totaled.
I don't think I have a flashlight problem yet but I've always heard that one sign of Alcoholism is when one hides and drinks alone. I know for a fact that some here have been caught alone in a closet turning their LEDs on and off testing their lights. Some are continually doing it in public. :naughty:

Someone please help me come up with a reason to tell my wife why I bought this light.
Christo_pull_hair.gif

InHisName

Enlightened
Tell her you're hopelessly addicted. You admit that to yourself and have taken the move to join a support group [cpf]. When you get 'cured' you'll be able to join a SWAT team to make some useful action from your addictions.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think I have a flashlight problem yet but I've always heard that one sign of Alcoholism is when one hides and drinks alone. I know for a fact that some here have been caught alone in a closet turning their LEDs on and off testing their lights. Some are continually doing it in public. :naughty:

Some folks here buy one or two lights and then stop.
Some folks here buy one or two lights a year.
Some folks here buy lights until all their needs are covered and then stop.
Some folks here buy lights until all their needs are covered and then buy one or two lights a year after that.
Some folks here just keep buying lights.

In my opinion, only the people in the last category had a "problem", and even then, that's only if they don't gift or sell their unused lights rather than acquiring a huge collection of shelf queens.

--flatline

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some folks here just keep buying lights.

In my opinion, only the people in the last category had a "problem", and even then, that's only if they don't gift or sell their unused lights rather than acquiring a huge collection of shelf queens.

Speak for yourself. I keep "acquiring" lights and give unused lights away.:crackup:

What I've found that "helped" me out some, is hanging around the Batteries and Electronics Forum, and trying to stay away from the other forums. I've been here at CPF for about 5 years and own ~40 Lights (no, I don't know the exact number). That works out to about 8/year, that I have kept anyway. Last year however, I only bought, I think, one light. It was $250, but still, my average cost/year and number of lights accumulating is improving (deproving? :thinking:) since attempting to abstain from looking at the other forums.

Do I need help, probably. Do I really care, not really.:)

Dave

yard candle

Newly Enlightened
I just decoded Chef's name for those who aren't good at breaking stuff down.
"cheftothestars" breaks down as follows;

Chef to the stars.
Something tells me that I'm the only one who had trouble with that.
thinking.gif

PS you guys aint helpin me much here yet.
buttrock.gif
LOL
Your opinions are welcomed about what I bought.

Last edited: